Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 12:29 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?
They're not proven effective. They are virtue-signaling.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:44 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Not proven effective in what way? They do limit the spray of droplets in the air, which helps limit the spread of the virus. What more do you think they are supposed to do?
I'm sure they're less effective when so many people refuse to wear them, if only half the population bothers with hand washing it becomes a lot less effective too.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:55 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:

Wow, factually incorrect AND insulting in one short post. How clever of you.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
No one complained about all the other rules, including standing in line for 1 hour to enter Costco (in March-April) as a result of said pandemic rules. But require a face covering, and suddenly it's a loss of freedom. But they won't admit that they simply do not want to wear one.

I suppose the difference is that it's uncomfortable and they feel self conscious wearing one. But when everyone else is doing it, there's nothing to feel self conscious about. I just made one out of an old cotton shirt with rubberbands. It's not worth the money to buy better ones. This won't last forever.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:44 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Did you even read post 261?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/58114658-post261.html

Old 05-15-2020, 01:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again with the propaganda about mask wearing = good citizen. Such horse manure. Some people have gone certifiably nuts over a piece of cloth.

As I've said, several times, on this forum, but will repeat for you:

I was already a germaphobe before this stupid virus came around. I've been harassed for years because of it. So let me tell you what that entails:

I don't touch things out in public. I don't touch gas pumps with my bare hands. I don't touch door knobs or handles with my bare hands. I don't touch the pin on the pin pad at checkout, or any ATM, with my bare hands. I have to touch whatever product I choose at the store, and when I'm done with my grocery shopping, after checking out, I park my cart next to the restroom. Why? Because I go in there and wash my hands. They feel dirty after having to touch things that others have touched. And I am not about to put those dirty hands on my steering wheel, or my keys, or my own doorknob at home, or my cupboards, etc.

From there, I bring my stuff home, take it out of the bags, throw the bags away, (except a few that I use to clean up cat litter - which, I would hope that you all wash your hands after cleaning cat litter - who knows with some people), and wipe down every last product with a Clorox wipe....except fruits and vegetables, I wash them in the sink. Meat products, I take them out of their Styrofoam hell, wash my hands, and then put them into containers of my own to freeze them - kills 2 birds with 1 stone - I'm also separating the amount of each package so that I'm not thawing out more meat than I'll be consuming before it goes bad.

Further, unlike so many of you, I don't wear my shoes in the house, and I don't wear my "street clothes" in the house. You will never, ever find me sitting on my couch, or sitting on my bed, or a chair with the clothes I wore outside. Never. You won't find me plodding around my house with the shoes I wore outside. How many times have you done that?

So do not sit there and preach to me about keeping things clean.

As far as being near other people, again, as I've already said, I don't like people being in my space, and I sure as hell do not go up into their space. I'm all for the 6' rule, should have been happening all along, as a courtesy to everyone. I've already been doing it in my life. I didn't need the government to tell me to do that. I did not need the WHO to tell me to do that. I did not need the CDC to tell me to do that.

Speaking of the CDC, I'd like to know why all of you are acting like any of this is a new thing. The CDC tells you, every single flu season, not to touch everything out in public, to wash your hands frequently, to stay away from other people, to stop living like a bunch of disgusting pigs. Everything that your mom told you when you were a tiny child.

And yet, here we are, with all of these people who have to wait until the government, or the WHO, or Dr. Fauci to come out and tell them what they should have been doing all along, at all times. And even now, even now, we still have people who think any of that is "too much", and they're not wiling to do it.

Take your little lectures about "how to stay clean and not live like a repulsive, lazy pig" to someone else. You still haven't even started to touch what I do already, have been doing, already. You wearing a piece of cloth on your face isn't doing jack all.

As I've already said, I've been doing more than most of you are even doing now. I don't need you to tell me how to keep clean. In fact, I've been a "good citizen" (eye roll) when it comes to germs and not spreading them around for a very, very long time, enduring the stupid questions, enduring the stares, enduring the mockery. I did not demand that everyone else do the same. I did this because of an 8th grade science class experiment - and it was very eye opening. I've been like this ever since.

Now, when I go out and do all of this, as I've normally done for decades, no one questions me anymore, no one stares anymore, no one mocks anymore. Now they get it.

So, spare me you self righteous bs.
Pure, unadulterated hypocrisy with a bit of ignorance thrown in.

You claim you jump through all those hoops to keep yourself pure but refuse to do something as simple as wearing a mask to help keep your emissions from others even though you obviously see the need. Your claim of "propaganda" is nonsense, everything I've written is based on scientific facts. The only way your uncovered mouth is not spreading your microscopic detritus is if you're not breathing.

Your cat litter, Styrofoam and clothing practices may be important to you but have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The "good citizen" comment was a direct quote from your last post. What you have put in quotes in response to my posting regarding "lazy pigs" is nothing I have said and I resent you using it as if it is. You need to clarify those are words of your own construct that have nothing to do with anything I've written.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:54 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Where I live (US Virgin Islands), masks are absolutely required for entering any store, business, church, everywhere but one's own home. They are also required outdoors if you will be within 6 feet of people not from your own household. (So an exception would be sitting outside with my own husband.)

The vast majority of people here have praised our governor for this mandate. I've heard no one complain about masks being too hot, and we live in the tropics for Pete's sake! Our medical facilities here are rather limited, nothing like in the rest of the US, so everyone knows we need to do everything we can to stay healthy.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:09 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Yeah, all those doctors & nurses who have been wearing masks in operating rooms for well over a century and currently advise strongly wearing them are ignorant “virtue signalers”.

Jesus Harold Christ! Darwin would be amazed.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Posting articles from over a month ago that refer to masks as defensive measures is not responsive to the question of masks as a preventive measure to spreading virus particles. It is too bad you want to continue to press the point but apparently are unable to understand that masks are to be worn to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus they may not even know they have not necessarily to protect the wearer.
Give it up. People will believe what they want to believe, regardless of reality. They will go answer shopping until they find someone who says what they want to hear.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety. If they won't wear masks, all you can do is shun them. Don't do business with them, don't hire them, don't talk to them, don't stay near them. Their attitude is literally written on their faces.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As long as the virus is kept "in check" to the degree that medical personnel and facilities are not overwhelmed, I think that trying to 100% halt the spread of the virus is a big mistake.

For the umpteenth time, this virus is NOT the flu, but as many people know, although they did encourage the wearing of masks and the limiting of contact, etc., government leaders did not try to 'stop the world' for months on end back in 1918-1920 () until they were positive the flu was eradicated -- and, yes, many people died, but MOST people did not, and from everything I have read about COVID-19, most people do not have much to fear from COVID-19.

The fact is that people die from all kinds of things, and we can't (as yet, anyway) prevent people from dying from many kinds of diseases; and about 170,000 people die in the U.S. from accidents in the U.S. per year. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

MANY people die before they reach the age of 75 or 80, and that is just the way life is. Yes, that is sad, but why have so many people suffer poverty and possible loss of homes from losing their jobs because of a virus that kills relatively very few people?

(I'm 66, btw.)

I don't think anyone is trying to 100% halt the spread of the virus; I think they're aiming for a substantial figure that is less than 100%. I'd be pleased with a 40-75% reduction in infection rates, as well as having more tests, masks, and ventilators available everywhere.

Job loss and possible loss of homes can often be overcome or avoided. COVID19-caused deaths, of people in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and older (or younger) is forever. I would think that waiting another few weeks to reopen might be a good idea in many (not all) regions and states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates