Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 11:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times

Advertisements

Selfishness and not caring for protecting others against asymptomatic transmission...very sad. "Every man for himself mentality" weakening America. Things were so very different during World War 2 in America how the country sacrificed and overcame adversity to defeat the enemy.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:05 AM

64 posts, read 61,836 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_rvE_8naJI

Old 05-17-2020, 01:09 AM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Haha I know it sounds childish and vain, but I agree with you. Can you imagine having to wear a mask this summer when you're out at a nice restaurant or nightclub? Not a cute look at all.
Nightclub? Trust me, it’s going to be a very long time before nightclubs are allowed to open again.

I was at a Las Vegas dayclub (pool party) last year and it would look downright bizarre if people were lounging around the pool, partying, drinking, with masks on.

You can wear a mask inside the gym, mall, and movie theater, but that doesn’t work for a night club or day club. You would literally have to take it off every time you got a drink or tried to talk to someone.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Nightclub? Trust me, it’s going to be a very long time before nightclubs are allowed to open again.
It actually isn't going to be very long till nightclubs all over the land are allowed to open again. That doesn't mean that many will go! It's going to be a very long time before nightclubs are profitable again.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:59 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Americans have lost their national identity. Once upon a time, the people would have rallied to control and defeat an epidemic. The failure starts at the top. We have been looking at institutionalized anti-intellectualism funded by the fossil fuel industry to brand global warming as a hoax. We're back to the "eggheads are wrong" rhetoric of the Know Nothing era. Put a sense of entitlement along side militant ignorance, and you end up with the Infect Everyone movement and armed protesters storming state capitals.
I agree it comes from the top...Progressive leadership led to a loss of national identity and pride. "anti intellectualism" as you put it has nothing to do with it. Think about the messages being sent to the last couple of decades...America is bad, Americans are bad, immigrants (legal or not) are more American than Americans, minority groups built the country, we have to send our jobs overseas or bring in foreign workers that Americans must train to take over their jobs, intersectionality, victimhood status, all the "...ists" and '...phobics" labels slapped on people, and the vilification given to western society and the white male in particular. Ideological cancers have destroyed us and pitted everyone against each other, not the fossil fuel industry.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:40 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
I have a question for those who won't wear a mask because of the discomfort- would you wear a face shield in place of the mask? (It's being discussed at my workplace)
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2765525

Old 05-17-2020, 06:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have a question for those who won't wear a mask because of the discomfort- would you wear a face shield in place of the mask? (It's being discussed at my workplace)
Rep'd you DubbleT with the following remark included ... this offering of an alternative is the kindness and the showing of tolerance and compassion that I had written way back had seemingly disappeared. As we can presume, it will fall on a few deaf ears, but that's ok. The point is you have expressed an alternative. This is what is classy.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I found it to be the greatest example of patriotism to see armed citizens storming the capital, so I totally disagree. When your constitutional rights are taken without due process, when governors are behaving like little dictators, that’s exactly the time to storm capitals and show that if you ignore the First Amendment and other key amendments, we have a Second Amendment for that. The anti-intellectualism comes from the left too, let’s not forget that’s the party of “there are 15,689 genders.” There are TWO. That’s it. Two. There will never be any more than that. If you understand science, you get that. I don’t personally know anyone who denies that the climate is always changing - I just think it’s ridiculous the alarmism created by their poor science. When your livelihood isn’t dependent on your research data, I’ll be happy to listen. But until then, I’ll do my own research. Every single thing that might even slightly interfere with their agenda is dismissed. Hasn’t warmed for decades? Eh, slight blip in the big picture. Certain areas much colder than before? That’s how global warming works, it’s not everywhere. CO2 has never created warming, only followed it by 300-500 years? Well magically now it is causing it. CO2 levels have been much higher in the past and the planet has been much warmer and is actually historically cold? Doesn’t matter, doesn’t fit the agenda. It has become a complete religion. You can’t challenge any of the data because much like religion they always have an answer to everything that explains it all away. It’s not science anymore, it’s political dogma.
I guess it is a trade-off. In return for the "patriotism" of having armed citizens storming the capital, we have over 90,000 dead people. Countries such as China (4,633 deaths) and South Korea (262 deaths) restricted their citizens freedom by forcing them to wear masks, testing asymptomatic people, and implementing electronic tracing. Their citizens accepted these measure and their pandemic has mostly ended. In this country, people want their rights and challenge government authority. Many people believe 90,000 deaths is minor as a percentage of out population and don't think that number of deaths is worth giving up our individual rights.

Here is a description of how South Korea took rapid, intrusive measures against Covid-19: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sures-covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree it comes from the top...Progressive leadership led to a loss of national identity and pride. "anti intellectualism" as you put it has nothing to do with it. Think about the messages being sent to the last couple of decades...America is bad, Americans are bad, immigrants (legal or not) are more American than Americans, minority groups built the country, we have to send our jobs overseas or bring in foreign workers that Americans must train to take over their jobs, intersectionality, victimhood status, all the "...ists" and '...phobics" labels slapped on people, and the vilification given to western society and the white male in particular. Ideological cancers have destroyed us and pitted everyone against each other, not the fossil fuel industry.
I've never heard of any of those messages that you say were sent over the last couple decades. We don't have to send our jobs overseas. It is will only get worse. China has 600 million people in poverty who they need to move into higher paying jobs. What happens when/if India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Brazil, etc. become competitive with China in regard to manufacturing?

This country needs to learn how to compete in manufacturing. This pandemic has taught us there is a risk in being dependent on other countries during a worldwide pandemic

Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There is a lady at one of the places I pick up from who has some type of flip up visor - I guess it's a face shield. I liken it to something my dad would wear when he was cutting wood on the circular saw. I'm not sure how it "protects other people" since all around the sides and below her mouth, it's wide open.

And if she did need to sneeze or cough - she's either putting her hand up there underneath that shield/visor thing, which defeats the entire purpose if she isn't thoroughly washing her hands afterwards, (not sanitizer, actually washing her hands), or she's going to have a visor with her spit and snot all over it...which is really disgusting to think about.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:00 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There is a lady at one of the places I pick up from who has some type of flip up visor - I guess it's a face shield. I liken it to something my dad would wear when he was cutting wood on the circular saw. I'm not sure how it "protects other people" since all around the sides and below her mouth, it's wide open.

And if she did need to sneeze or cough - she's either putting her hand up there underneath that shield/visor thing, which defeats the entire purpose if she isn't thoroughly washing her hands afterwards, (not sanitizer, actually washing her hands), or she's going to have a visor with her spit and snot all over it...which is really disgusting to think about.
It helps to protect other people by containing droplets that may or may not contain the virus. It's not meant to be some kind of miraculous virus stopping device. I don't know about you but I don't generally spew snot every time I cough or sneeze, unless I'm sick, and right now anyone who's sick should be staying at home. The shields are washable if it comes down to it though.

Would you rather that spit and snot be contained inside the shield or spewed into the air around you and onto whatever she was handling (your food containers?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates