Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 10:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Because I can't breathe right in them. I can't see peoples faces anymore, most of them are ugly.

yeh, and you feel silly, right? I was looking at old photos of the 1918 flu pandemic online and there was one picture of street cleaners (wearing masks) in a city with the caption, "Look ridiculous or be dead." In other words, people didn't want to wear masks back then either. No one does. But when you think of the choice...

Old 05-26-2020, 06:10 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Blind people can't see anyone's faces and wouldn't know what physical ugliness looked like. Doctors and nurses manage to wear masks ALL DAY LONG for 10-12 hour shifts several days every week, and they seem to be capable of adjusting to their breathing.

Unless you have some kind of debilitating lung disease or other significant breathing problem, there's no reason why you can't also adjust to using a mask when you want to leave your house and enter some other building. And - if you do have some debilitating breathing problem, then you probably shouldn't be too eager to leave your house right now. COVID-19 is a form of pneumonia that causes you to drown in your own lungs' pus.
I don't have a problem wearing a mask. I just listed why I don't like wearing a mask. I'm actually on board.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem wearing a mask. I just listed why I don't like wearing a mask. I'm actually on board.
That's good. Some people misunderstood you when you literally gave your reasons for not liking masks. (sorry.) The only thing that bothers me about a mask is that people can't see my facial expression, as in when I smile or make a funny look. I'll have to think of some other way of expressing feelings--maybe even WORDS, lol.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:39 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Awesome! I can't stand wearing a mask. It's harder (not hard, just harder) to breathe, my chin is breaking out from the collection of sweat pooling there, at the end of a 6-hour shift the inside of the mask smells bad (my breath isn't bad, but I have a sensitive nose and sweat + mouth-bacteria + 6 hours + Florida heat = yuck). I also have allergies, and sometimes my nose runs. Since I ALSO wear gloves at work, and the gloves are usually soaking wet and covered in surface sanitizer, I can't just grab a tissue and blow my nose. Just reaching for a tissue is an ordeal.

I don't like how it feels on my face, I don't like that I'm CONSTANTLY having to adjust it (therefore touching it, therefore defeating the purpose) because it keeps slipping up and down my face or the ear straps keep snapping off my ears. I don't like that I feel like I'm entombed, very claustrophobic. I don't like the HEAT - the sweat - total discomfort since a lot of my job is spent in a hallway in a Florida supermarket with no air conditioner in the hallway, and some of the job is spent outside the store in the parking lot pushing shopping carts into the store.

Did I mention the sweat?

Hate the masks. Hate them. Can't stand them. Tried a myriad of types and styles and materials, can't stand any of them.

But I wear them at work, and I wear them when I'm shopping.

I don't wear them outside when I'm not at work.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:18 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's good. Some people misunderstood you when you literally gave your reasons for not liking masks. (sorry.) The only thing that bothers me about a mask is that people can't see my facial expression, as in when I smile or make a funny look. I'll have to think of some other way of expressing feelings--maybe even WORDS, lol.
Something that has occurred to me, maybe the mask situation brought it to the surface of my mind...is that I love it when a person's smile reaches their eyes. I was thinking of celebrities who are commonly thought of as attractive, like Jason Momoa, and for me it just isn't about the muscles, it's about if I think of him in my head, the first visual I imagine is how his eyes look when he is smiling in pictures. (He is not especially my "type" but I do like that about him.) Smiling with your eyes makes your smile look more GENUINE and warm.

And now, here we are, while we cannot bare our teeth at one another, I sometimes can note a smile in someone's eyes when they nod to acknowledge me in public, and I like that.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:15 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Something that has occurred to me, maybe the mask situation brought it to the surface of my mind...is that I love it when a person's smile reaches their eyes. I was thinking of celebrities who are commonly thought of as attractive, like Jason Momoa, and for me it just isn't about the muscles, it's about if I think of him in my head, the first visual I imagine is how his eyes look when he is smiling in pictures. (He is not especially my "type" but I do like that about him.) Smiling with your eyes makes your smile look more GENUINE and warm.

And now, here we are, while we cannot bare our teeth at one another, I sometimes can note a smile in someone's eyes when they nod to acknowledge me in public, and I like that.
I've noticed that too, also you can hear a smile in someone's voice even when you can't see it. When I greet people at work they can't see my smile, but they can see my eyes and hear my voice and it almost always brings a smile back in return.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:14 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
"And again, anyone refusing to wear a mask in public places demonstrates a disregard for the health of everyone else. That pretty much fits the definition of "selfish" to a "T."". So in this thread the over-arching message is I wear a mask to protect YOU. What about you protecting you? Do you wear goggles when out and about or how about when home where this virus is mostly contracted, according to the news. Have YOU bought the appropriate covering to absolutely minimize exposing others to you? Do YOU wear your mask at home to protect your loved ones? If not, then why not. Rebellion? Disregard for others including your family? Selfishness? UMM Yeah. I believe and can satisfy my decision by deductive reasoning that wearing a mask, if asymptomatic, will increase the odds of me getting sick from a virus due to rebreathing it over and over. To me this leads me to conclude the official stand is that I sacrifice myself for people who refuse to take precautions necessary to protect themselves. I'm not going to do that without specific rules or requests. As I have stated before, I absolutely will wear one to address an individual's concerns or anywhere else a rule necessitates masks but anything more I won't do just because it makes the "herd" feel better about going out.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:57 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
For some people the simple fact that the government told them to do something is sufficient to resist. It makes no difference whether facts indicate being told to do something is beneficial to the person. It defies reason, avoidance of harm or anything else. It is individuality run amok and beyond common sense.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:09 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
For some people the simple fact that the government told them to do something is sufficient to resist. It makes no difference whether facts indicate being told to do something is beneficial to the person. It defies reason, avoidance of harm or anything else. It is individuality run amok and beyond common sense.
There may be a few people like this, but I find this used too often as an all-purpose dismissal of people who don't want to wear masks (or take vaccines, et cetera.) Since the assumption is that their concerns can't be possibly be valid, their refusal must be because they are simply stubborn and rebellious: "They just don't want to do what anyone tells them they have to do."

Old 05-31-2020, 02:29 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

That's literally the only thing I like about wearing a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I've noticed that too, also you can hear a smile in someone's voice even when you can't see it. When I greet people at work they can't see my smile, but they can see my eyes and hear my voice and it almost always brings a smile back in return.

Well I'm screwed..hopefully there are clueless people at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates