Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A few of them could have stopped the burning and looting of my town this month
But of course we don’t want to interfere with what was declared a peaceful demonstration do we
Anybody that has done an Iraq tour of duty can tell you all about them
So am I reading you correctly—that armed non-police citizens should have been allowed to shoot (and possibly kill) looters and those starting fires during the protests??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
What do you mean, amateurs...? Most 'civilians' have ample training with their firearms, many times more than police. They (police) have their 'range day' every month, but I go every week.

Your comments show you know nothing about firearms, doesn't matter how many relatives you have in law enforcement.......which I doubt anyway.
You are incorrect about my family, no matter what you doubt. Bet I am related to more law enforcement personnel than you, by far.

I disagree that all amateurs have training. Going to the range every week is not “training.” It’s just practice.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
.. Bet I am related to more law enforcement personnel than you, by far.
Pardon me, what does having a relative that does X have to do with anything?

I retired as a senior NCO after 20-years of Active Duty service. I was paid for Combat Duty for 18 years. In my perspective that does not give my cousins any special power or experience.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 AM

Having cousins/brothers in law enforcement gives me more of an appreciation of active duty law enforcement, perhaps more than the average citizen. Also have 3 brothers who served in the military. I appreciate military service, as well.

What I don’t appreciate is guys who walk around in public with firearms trying to intimidate other citizens. The armed citizens also wearing camouflage while protesting are trying to look menacing. We have had a fair amount if that in our country lately.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,797,242 times
Quote:
What I don’t appreciate is guys who walk around in public with firearms trying to intimidate other citizens. The armed citizens also wearing camouflage while protesting are trying to look menacing. We have had a fair amount if that in our country lately.
Fine. As long as you are just as unappreciative of the BLM and Antifa thugs........are you...?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Having cousins/brothers in law enforcement gives me more of an appreciation of active duty law enforcement, perhaps more than the average citizen. Also have 3 brothers who served in the military. I appreciate military service, as well.

`We need to get past that mentality that vets somehow make good police officers...the military and city/state police are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

In fact, I think it should be a rule, if someone has served in military, they should be discouraged from becoming a police officer, its just not a good replacement, we are already dealing with the militarization of the police, we need to be going the other direction now!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:01 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
`We need to get past that mentality that vets somehow make good police officers...the military and city/state police are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

In fact, I think it should be a rule, if someone has served in military, they should be discouraged from becoming a police officer, its just not a good replacement, we are already dealing with the militarization of the police, we need to be going the other direction now!
I don't know that being in the military is bad preparation for a career in law enforcement. However, IMO we need to look for our policemen in a different place. Ideally, a new policeman would have a four year college degree in a field like psychology or sociology. I want people who are trained extensively in non-violent ways to deescalate a conflict. Not people who simply know how to club, gas, or shoot others. There are too many people working as cops who never went beyond high school and a short time in the police academy. If it costs more to get college-educated police that is what we need.

A policeman ought to have a certain amount of discretion. Let me give some examples.

1. If a drunk driver is parked somewhere in his vehicle (as opposed to driving on the roads), the officer should be able to take the man home instead of to the local jail for incarceration.

2. If an offense is non-violent, and the offender poses no immediate danger to others, generally a paper citation should be issued instead of taking the offender to jail.

3. If he judges the offender to be non-violent, the officer should be allowed to not handcuff an offender's hands behind his back.

4. Fists are ok in some situations. Clubs should only be used in very limited situations. Guns should not be drawn unless a cop instead to use one. Choke holds are off the table unless the officer is fighting for his very life.

5. Police should be encouraged to make friends and even do things like help change a flat tire or help someone load groceries into their car.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't know that being in the military is bad preparation for a career in law enforcement. However, IMO we need to look for our policemen in a different place. Ideally, a new policeman would have a four year college degree in a field like psychology or sociology. I want people who are trained extensively in non-violent ways to deescalate a conflict. Not people who simply know how to club, gas, or shoot others. There are too many people working as cops who never went beyond high school and a short time in the police academy. If it costs more to get college-educated police that is what we need.

A policeman ought to have a certain amount of discretion. Let me give some examples.

1. If a drunk driver is parked somewhere in his vehicle (as opposed to driving on the roads), the officer should be able to take the man home instead of to the local jail for incarceration.

2. If an offense is non-violent, and the offender poses no immediate danger to others, generally a paper citation should be issued instead of taking the offender to jail.

3. If he judges the offender to be non-violent, the officer should be allowed to not handcuff an offender's hands behind his back.

4. Fists are ok in some situations. Clubs should only be used in very limited situations. Guns should not be drawn unless a cop instead to use one. Choke holds are off the table unless the officer is fighting for his very life.

5. Police should be encouraged to make friends and even do things like help change a flat tire or help someone load groceries into their car.
My opinion is that cities need to fill police officer positions with citizens that are elected to the job (for a maximum of 2 years) and then someone else must be elected to do the job.

Doing it like this, prevents any one person from having that kind of authority for too long, I believe ordinary citizens would make the best police officers, they would focus on solving the problems, not just determining who they arrest for what crimes.

Its my understanding this is how cities used to do it back in the 1800s, citizens would elect a town sheriff and he would work that position for the term, naturally cities are larger today, so we need more than one sheriff, our city has a total of 15 police officers...put these positions on the ballot, let regular citizens run for the jobs and put a 2 yr restriction on it.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Fine. As long as you are just as unappreciative of the BLM and Antifa thugs........are you...?
I am incensed by the thugs and looters during the first week of the BLM protests, and especially those criminals who started businesses on fire, like the Wendy’s in Atlanta the night that Rayshard was killed by the policeman.

I am angry and disgusted about the creeps and thugs of the KKK in Charlottesville. Antifa’s beliefs and illegal activities are terrible, too. There are also the criminal boogaloo’s to despise.

So you see, I am very distressed that our society is on a downward slide. What has happened to us? Law enforcement is more important than ever, but there needs to be more training to help them deal with difficult situations, so that suspected criminals are not killed, but apprehended safely for all the parties involved.

It’s very sad that the strident division in our society will possibly be the cause of the downfall of our once great nation.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,797,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What's your idea of an ideal cop, Woody?
Pretty much the way they are now. Tough. No nonsense. Enforcing strictly the laws on the books in their jurisdiction. You want them loading groceries and changing tires? Do you have any cop friends? Ask them what it's like......

[Moderator cut: Keep your responses to others respectful.]

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-24-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates