Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 08:58 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times

Advertisements

In World War II, the light cruiser USS Columbia flew the Confederate Navy jack for the duration of the war. Probably wouldn't happen today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 10:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
One thing that has been left out of the conversation is when symbols of the Confederacy started to show up. Most of them showed up after periods of civil unrest. After Reconstruction and during the Civil Rights Movement. That timing wasn’t accidental. That was meant to be a show of white supremacy.

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/54426...emacist-future

Old 06-21-2020, 02:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
The American Flag is the only flag of note in the USA. All others are just decorations.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:50 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
The same crowd that demands the utmost respect of the American flag ("Because U.S. soldiers DIED for that flag!") waves the battle flag - or makes excuses for its wavers - flown by people who killed hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers.

The same crowd that memorializes Davis and Lee with statues and holidays - traitors who didn't want to be a part of the United States and who killed U.S. soldiers to that end - loathes Jane Fonda for posing on an NVA anti-aircraft gun*.

The same crowd that waves the Confederate flag while bleating "But, muh heritage!" would have precisely zero use for an American waving the hammer and sickle of the USSR just because his father had served in the Red Army or the rising sun of Japan just because his grandfather sailed in the IJN.

The same crowd that thinks Colin Kaepernick** should be blacklisted from the NFL for kneeling during the pre-game song ("It's disrespectful to the memory of the FALLEN!") thinks it's just fine to fly the banner flown by those who massacred surrendering black Union troops (along with the white Union officers commanding them) at Ft. Pillow.

The hypocrisy is staggering.

*Nope, no apologies for Fonda from me. I think what she did was reprehensible. But I also don't honor dead Confederates. I'm consistent.

**Also, this crowd tends to decry 'cancel culture', yet they demand the cancellation of Kaepernick, not to mention Fonda.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:59 PM

779 posts, read 471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuffaar View Post
We should not eradicate history, just because some find it offensive. Eradicating history removes it from the minds of those who shall live in the future. And then, history can repeat itself. We should not forget.
You're right. The Confederate Flag should be in a museum with other items teaching us about racism, our past, and other horrible things that have happened. It shouldn't be proudly displayed. If you think it should, you should probably at a Swastika to your mix of flags too.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
In World War II, the light cruiser USS Columbia flew the Confederate Navy jack for the duration of the war. Probably wouldn't happen today.
It should have neve flown from that cruiser in the first place.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:19 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It should have neve flown from that cruiser in the first place.

Different era, different attitudes.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:30 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Different era, different attitudes.
I don't care. Segregation and Jim Crow were the rules back in the 1940s. No excuses from me. Period.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:33 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
You're right. The Confederate Flag should be in a museum with other items teaching us about racism, our past, and other horrible things that have happened. It shouldn't be proudly displayed. If you think it should, you should probably at a Swastika to your mix of flags too.
I don't have a problem with the Confederate flag being displayed in a museum, as should anybody.... however, I also don't understand why it (as well as Confederate monuments) can't be displayed in public places. They *are* a part of history, like it or not, and they do typically have relevance to the places where they are displayed historically, for better or worse. They are merely reminders of history, not objects for extremists to rally around. For that reason, I do not at all get the movement to tear them all down or ban them from public areas.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I don't have a problem with the Confederate flag being displayed in a museum, as should anybody.... however, I also don't understand why it (as well as Confederate monuments) can't be displayed in public places. They *are* a part of history, like it or not, and they do typically have relevance to the places where they are displayed historically, for better or worse. They are merely reminders of history, not objects for extremists to rally around. For that reason, I do not at all get the movement to tear them all down or ban them from public areas.
Here is the question I have for you. As I mentioned up thread, these were mostly put up not to acknowledge history, but as a response to the civil rights movement. And most are in places that have zero ties to the Civil War or confederate history. Like the north or midwest. So why are they on public property and not a museum or something else? Are these monuments being placed where it makes sense to acknowledge this history or is it a symbol of something else? Most of the time it is being used as a symbol of something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates