Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 AM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/US/arizona-ma...ry?id=61024609

I’m just going to leave that here..

in the time after the incident, we find that there wasn’t any basis for the police to even contact the guy - they claimed a “turn signal” violation, but that’s explicitly not a felony, nothing to pull a gun or a taser for.

The guy was accused of “non compliance” because he was still seat-belted into the car when they were pulling him out. Then, as a piece de resistance, he had his pants pulled down, while handcuffed, and got tasered in the taint.

Simply because the taser was available, it was used to torture someone who was already restrained.

You can’t expect the police to rectify this situation, because they investigated themselves, and found that they did nothing wrong.

He spent months in jail, based on lies by the gang in blue, for false charges. No one was actually punished for lying while wearing a badge. No one got fired. The beat goes on.

Until someone other than the police is allowed to investigate the police, they can’t be trusted with implements of torture.

There are incompetent and/or dishonest people in every profession. Whether a car repairman, plumber, doctor, or lawyer, you'll find some who shouldn't be in that job. Police officers are no different. I do agree that there needs to be a more impartial method of deciding wrongdoing against the cops, but that doesn't mean that someone who clearly brought his problems on himself through his own stupid actions gets to blame the police for his own stupid actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
We have Legal alcohol thus bound to result in a few drunks

In another post I gave a possible situation of my own. Re the DUI.
I am drunk and mot wishing a domestic fight go to my car in front of my house to sleep it off.
Someone driving by sees me and calls 911. ( my city has a NO street pkg between 2-4 AM)
Other then a pkg ticket am I DUI.
I was never seen driving nor was the poor guy at Wendy's.
Never saw any replies re my possible situation.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

I am drunk and mot wishing a domestic fight go to my car in front of my house to sleep it off.
Someone driving by sees me and calls 911. ( my city has a NO street pkg between 2-4 AM)

I think that if the engine is running and you are behind the wheel, that is considered as driving even if you're stopped dead in a parking space. Simply being drunk and sitting in a car is not generally considered as "drunk driving".

My understanding is that the guy at Wendy's was asleep in his car and the car was parked such as to block the drive through window. Unless the guy pulled up and shut off the engine and then went to sleep, he likely was considered as driving. Just my opinion. State laws may vary.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:27 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
There are incompetent and/or dishonest people in every profession. Whether a car repairman, plumber, doctor, or lawyer, you'll find some who shouldn't be in that job. Police officers are no different. I do agree that there needs to be a more impartial method of deciding wrongdoing against the cops, but that doesn't mean that someone who clearly brought his problems on himself through his own stupid actions gets to blame the police for his own stupid actions.

He didn’t bring his problems on himself. He wasn’t driving the car, the police had no authority to require him to produce an ID. Everything that happened in that incident was unnecessary, and it was a clear violation of his constitutional rights.

And you’re forgetting the rest of the “bad apple” statement - one bad apple spoils the bunch. There were a group of liars with badges acting in concert in an unconstitutional manner here. There was a judge and a prosecutor playing ball. There was a year-long cover-up of what happened, and even after a year, the management of the local government released a tiny misleading snippet of video to malign this man’s character, and cast doubt on his story.

Further, you might recognize the Mesa PD from the news - as they seem to like having their cops acting like bad apples.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...apply-n1028981

Re-hired for a day, so he could collect a pension of $31,000 a year, based on a “ptsd” disability he gained for murdering an unarmed man in cold blood. On tape.

Until the “good cops” start turning in the bad ones, no one can safely assume that they aren’t going to encounter a bad one. If you do, they have the power to ruin, or sometimes take your life, and no fear of repercussions for doing so.

We pay a LOT of money for law-enforcement in this country, and we’re not getting good value for that money. We can do better. You should expect better.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
He didn’t bring his problems on himself. He wasn’t driving the car, the police had no authority to require him to produce an ID. Everything that happened in that incident was unnecessary, and it was a clear violation of his constitutional rights.

And you’re forgetting the rest of the “bad apple” statement - one bad apple spoils the bunch. There were a group of liars with badges acting in concert in an unconstitutional manner here. There was a judge and a prosecutor playing ball. There was a year-long cover-up of what happened, and even after a year, the management of the local government released a tiny misleading snippet of video to malign this man’s character, and cast doubt on his story.

Further, you might recognize the Mesa PD from the news - as they seem to like having their cops acting like bad apples.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...apply-n1028981

Re-hired for a day, so he could collect a pension of $31,000 a year, based on a “ptsd” disability he gained for murdering an unarmed man in cold blood. On tape.

Until the “good cops” start turning in the bad ones, no one can safely assume that they aren’t going to encounter a bad one. If you do, they have the power to ruin, or sometimes take your life, and no fear of repercussions for doing so.

We pay a LOT of money for law-enforcement in this country, and we’re not getting good value for that money. We can do better. You should expect better.
Exactly right!! The cops turned this mole hill into a mountain.

Ive seen the same thing around here, plenty of times when police mistake someone simply taking a nap in a parking lot, for being passed out on dope! A guy I went to school with had this happen to him at McDonalds parking lot, he had worked a 12 hour day and was waiting for his daughter to get off work, and was napping in the car, police treated him like DIRT, they just assumed he was passed out on dope. What jerks! Wouldnt common sense tell you..hey, maybe this guy is just taking a nap? LOL

Old 06-26-2020, 01:18 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
So, it's settled then? No more tasers for cops? But then, what shall the police use instead to control unruly detainees? Hey, I know, most people like to go to the beach or take a shower, so maybe water? And most people like puppies, so maybe we get some fire hoses, and German Shepards….and....and....never mind.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:45 PM

177 posts, read 125,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

A) Depends on what state you are in.
B) Depends on where in the car you are.

So like most things in life, the answer just isn't simple....

Wendy's guy was passed out behind the wheel in the drive through. He wasn't parked and sleeping it off. Big difference.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Exactly right!! The cops turned this mole hill into a mountain.

Ive seen the same thing around here, plenty of times when police mistake someone simply taking a nap in a parking lot, for being passed out on dope! A guy I went to school with had this happen to him at McDonalds parking lot, he had worked a 12 hour day and was waiting for his daughter to get off work, and was napping in the car, police treated him like DIRT, they just assumed he was passed out on dope. What jerks! Wouldnt common sense tell you..hey, maybe this guy is just taking a nap? LOL
I have cops wake me up when I'm napping all the time. I almost always take a nap when it turns midnight when I'm on a long drive. It's never been a problem since I'm not on drugs.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:06 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
So, it's settled then? No more tasers for cops? But then, what shall the police use instead to control unruly detainees? Hey, I know, most people like to go to the beach or take a shower, so maybe water? And most people like puppies, so maybe we get some fire hoses, and German Shepards….and....and....never mind.

The police have shown a willingness, eagerness even to misuse the taser.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/art...rs-2225343.php

That article is from 2011.. according to the reports supplied by the police in that area, 25% of the time the tasers were deployed were for suspects who were already handcuffed or just being “verbally noncompliant”..

And, to be sure, cops lie pretty frequently in their reports..

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that it’s inappropriate to taser someone who is in handcuffs.

Since the police are unwilling or unable to check themselves, the toys need to be taken away, in the interest of public safety.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:01 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The officer feared for his life because if he was stunned his gun could be taken off him and used against him.

Banning taser would just mean that shooting would be even more likely as there would be few non lethal alternatives.

As for non-lethal technology it is improving all the time and new devices are coming on to the market.
Any links for this non-lethal technology that is improving all the time? Might be a solution but have not seen anything about it. Seems like most of the development is for firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates