Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 07:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
But you also said it was based on the officer's word, which isn't true. There were witnesses that backed his side of the story up, witnesses who had to be put into protective custody because those dependent upon the narrative put them in danger.
Again, I said like that case, not specifics of that case. I already explained that. Good grief. What if was to say Kentucky Officer's Katie Crews and Austin Allen who didn't have their bodycam on and killed a Louisville business owner? https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/...243160541.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 01:29 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The police have shown a willingness, eagerness even to misuse the taser.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/art...rs-2225343.php

That article is from 2011.. according to the reports supplied by the police in that area, 25% of the time the tasers were deployed were for suspects who were already handcuffed or just being “verbally noncompliant”..

And, to be sure, cops lie pretty frequently in their reports..

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that it’s inappropriate to taser someone who is in handcuffs.

Since the police are unwilling or unable to check themselves, the toys need to be taken away, in the interest of public safety.
Even if the guy in handcuffs is big, strong, and violent? Maybe trying to headbutt, bite, spit, knee, kick, run, stomp, get out of the cuffs, etc.? I say Tase them until they quit fighting. I'm pretty sure there are guys out there, that, even when wearing handcuffs, could kick either one of our butts. Sorry, Tasers save lives, they give police another tool to use before having to resort to force with a higher likelihood of death or injury. People need to quit fighting the police, period.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Even if the guy in handcuffs is big, strong, and violent? Maybe trying to headbutt, bite, spit, knee, kick, run, stomp, get out of the cuffs, etc.? I say Tase them until they quit fighting. I'm pretty sure there are guys out there, that, even when wearing handcuffs, could kick either one of our butts. Sorry, Tasers save lives, they give police another tool to use before having to resort to force with a higher likelihood of death or injury. People need to quit fighting the police, period.
Would you peacefully be arrested if you knew there was no crime? It is great to talk game but most people can't back it up and become what they despise.

Also you do realize that taze until they quit fighting would increase deaths and injuries? Both effect the tax payer in the end by hospital use or settlements.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Would you peacefully be arrested if you knew there was no crime? It is great to talk game but most people can't back it up and become what they despise.

Also you do realize that taze until they quit fighting would increase deaths and injuries? Both effect the tax payer in the end by hospital use or settlements.
Cops aren't punching bags, and shouldn't be treated as such. Period. Are there cops who do bad things? I'm sure. They need to be identified, and weeded out of the force. As to whether I would comply if innocent? I HOPE I would, since it's uncharted territory for me (it's never happened in my experience). Getting myself shot, beaten, etc. would do me no favor, I would explain calmly why I shouldn't be arrested, and if I couldn't convince the arresting officers, would comply. Even if I could magically eat a can of spinach and turn my fists into anvils and beat the heck out of the arresting cops and escape, now I WOULD be a felon, and since they know where I live, doing so would be the dumbest thing possible. Smart people hire lawyers, who fight for their rights in court. Dumb people fight the police. The number one rule for being a smart person, is don't be dumb.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
Quote:
Smart people hire lawyers, who fight for their rights in court. Dumb people fight the police. The number one rule for being a smart person, is don't be dumb.
Wealthy people hire lawyers and buy justice.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Wealthy people hire lawyers and buy justice.

The non-wealthy people get lawyers for FREE. Why risk your life fighting the cops? Even if I knew I was innocent of some crime, I wouldn't resist arrest. I'd rather spend a few hours, or even overnight, in jail than risk being shot while trying to fight a cop.

Don't let stupidity turn an unpleasant experience into a fatal experience. Too many dumb people have made the mistake the fighting the cops, and it turned out to be the last mistake they ever made.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:12 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Tase them until they quit is against the manufacturers instructions for the taser. That’s exactly why so many people are dying when the taser is used like that - and why the taser x29 was discontinued by taser.

One or two shocks *could* cause a few people to go tachycardic and die. Five or ten shocks makes a cardiac issue nearly impossible to avoid, even in younger and healthier victims.

I’d expect a member of the general public to say something like you said, because you just don’t know, and haven’t had the training. All cops using taser *have* had the training, and they’re doing it anyway, and their departments (that know better!) aren’t disciplining them for breaking written policies against repetitive taser shocks.

After the 2nd shock, if the victim isn’t subdued, you need to find another plan, because the taser isn’t going to work and continued shocks are highly likely to just kill the person.

If you’re not justified in pulling out a gun and shooting them, then you need to take a step back and find another way. Good luck convincing a jury that shooting a handcuffed person is necessary, cause it’s not. Just like five or ten taser strikes isn’t necessary.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The non-wealthy people get lawyers for FREE. Why risk your life fighting the cops? Even if I knew I was innocent of some crime, I wouldn't resist arrest. I'd rather spend a few hours, or even overnight, in jail than risk being shot while trying to fight a cop.

Don't let stupidity turn an unpleasant experience into a fatal experience. Too many dumb people have made the mistake the fighting the cops, and it turned out to be the last mistake they ever made.

The poor get ridiculously high bail amounts for minor crimes and spend months in jail waiting for their “speedy” trials. They plead guilty with “time served” whether or not they’re guilty just to get out of jail in an alarming number of cases.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04...as-twin-peaks/

Exhibit a above - 177 people charged with copy-pasta warrants and kept in jail with insanely high bail - not overnight, but for months.. then every single charge was dismissed. Pretty sure those guys were all white & most had enough money to at least buy a Harley, so they had far more resources available than most defendants. You really can’t place judgement on someone who knows that a bs charge is going to ruin their life.

Coincidentally, the first batch of bikers freed - were freed under an agreement not to sue the department for their false arrests.. that’s why there are only 130 plaintiffs in that case.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The poor get ridiculously high bail amounts for minor crimes and spend months in jail waiting for their “speedy” trials. They plead guilty with “time served” whether or not they’re guilty just to get out of jail in an alarming number of cases.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04...as-twin-peaks/

Exhibit a above - 177 people charged with copy-pasta warrants and kept in jail with insanely high bail - not overnight, but for months.. then every single charge was dismissed. Pretty sure those guys were all white & most had enough money to at least buy a Harley, so they had far more resources available than most defendants. You really can’t place judgement on someone who knows that a bs charge is going to ruin their life.

Coincidentally, the first batch of bikers freed - were freed under an agreement not to sue the department for their false arrests.. that’s why there are only 130 plaintiffs in that case.

LOL! So you are equating biker gangs who got involved in a shootout in broad daylight which resulted in 9 deaths and about 20 more wounded with "minor crimes"? LOL. I wonder what you would consider a major crime?

Riding a Harley doesn't necessarily mean you have money. There are other ways of acquiring a bike if ya know what I mean. And even if they paid cash for the bike, that's no proof that the money was earned legitimately. Again, there's more than one way to get money.

As for the no trials, well, I doubt that any of them were going to rat on the others. And in a melee like that, I doubt that anyone could prove who shot whom, and even if you could, how would you prove it wasn't self defense? Maybe the other gang shot first.

Sorry, but you're going to have to find a better example than this one to prove how terrible the poor get treated when they're arrested. Heck, nowadays, if the alleged crime isn't a major felony, the alleged perp gets a "Get Out of Jail Free" card and is back on the street before the cop can finish his paperwork on the arrest.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
LOL! So you are equating biker gangs who got involved in a shootout in broad daylight which resulted in 9 deaths and about 20 more wounded with "minor crimes"? LOL. I wonder what you would consider a major crime?

Riding a Harley doesn't necessarily mean you have money. There are other ways of acquiring a bike if ya know what I mean. And even if they paid cash for the bike, that's no proof that the money was earned legitimately. Again, there's more than one way to get money.

As for the no trials, well, I doubt that any of them were going to rat on the others. And in a melee like that, I doubt that anyone could prove who shot whom, and even if you could, how would you prove it wasn't self defense? Maybe the other gang shot first.

Sorry, but you're going to have to find a better example than this one to prove how terrible the poor get treated when they're arrested. Heck, nowadays, if the alleged crime isn't a major felony, the alleged perp gets a "Get Out of Jail Free" card and is back on the street before the cop can finish his paperwork on the arrest.
How about $315,000 in bail for “dine and dash” with regard to excessive bail?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/us/ca...ges/index.html

The prosecutor intentionally elevated the charge to a felony by combining the cash outlay of 11 dinners to reach the felony standard of $1000.

The “perp” in that case literally lived in his mom’s basement. Yeah, he was a jerk - but what he was accused of wasn’t worthy of $315,000 in bail. Someone who lives in their mom’s basement isn’t going to flee to Belize to avoid prosecution.

Same modus-operandi as above, after the prosecutor made the news with his bs charges, the man was sentenced to 120 days in jail.. (time served!) in exchange for a plea. A plea that probably wasn’t necessary, except for the excessive bail.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/souther...jail-sentence/

This happens all day, every day, across the country. If you’re not seeing it, you’re not looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates