Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:00 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh yeah that would work well and not intrusive at all, but that was not the OPs premise.
The lockdowns we had in March to May people seemed to accept for the most part - it wasn't really quaranteene (although some were quaranteened and even that was accepted), people still got out for essentials, etc, and enforcement was pretty loose. But after two or three months that's when people started pushing back.
I was thinking about it today. I spent the lock down in Arizona. I would go to the supermarket, buy gas and couple other places then go home. Occasionally some fast food in the drive thru. I work from home and anything else I needed I bought online. I wear a mask inside businesses and have all along. No one outside of my family that lives with me enters my house. I have been in my summer home for 2 months now. It opened up a litter sooner than Arizona but I really have not changed my habits. I go to the same stores that I did during lock down and don't go to sit down restaurants or bars other higher risk places. I don't really miss it. I guess if I was still in my 20's the need to go to more places with lots of people would be there. I am fine doing this until the pandemic is over. I am not panicked over all of this I just don't the need to push the envelope for something I can do without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Imagine if we tried the Korean example - trace everyone via cell phone, if your cell phone was turned off you got a visit from the police. If your cell phone battery died - visit by police. Government would follow-up with records of credit card transactions to see where you were, additional followup by video footage which the government is all tied into. Basically complete and full government surveillance (we are talking South, not North, Korea).

It was extremely successful in managing covid in Korea, but, yeah that wouldn't go to well here (logistically or politically).
I know we could never do what South Korea is doing. I don't think many countries could. But you cannot argue its effectiveness. There is something to learn from that. Here we are fumbling along with more cases and problems than ever. But at least we have our freedoms, or do we?

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-28-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 04:18 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I know we could never do what South Korea is doing. I don't think many countries could. But you cannot argue its effectiveness. There is something to learn from that. Here we are fumbling along with more cases and problems than ever. But at least we have our freedoms, or do we?
Even the Illinois governor wouldn't stoop to turning the whole state into a maximum security prison. I'd rather take a long walk off a short pier, than live under a "1984"-style house arrest because of a silly flu bug.

Another question: How come there weren't any severe spikes in 'Rona cases after the rioting and the looting? I mean, didn't those things involve hundreds of people bunched up against each other with no masks on?

Old 06-28-2020, 05:53 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Even the Illinois governor wouldn't stoop to turning the whole state into a maximum security prison. I'd rather take a long walk off a short pier, than live under a "1984"-style house arrest because of a silly flu bug.
We all wish it was a silly flu bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Another question: How come there weren't any severe spikes in 'Rona cases after the rioting and the looting? I mean, didn't those things involve hundreds of people bunched up against each other with no masks on?
Who said they have not spiked? I think much of the media has downplayed it but we are up to almost 50,000 cases a day. A huge jump in a couple weeks. People going to bars and parties are getting the blame because that is the PC way to do it. But it is the protestors also causing the jump.

Also most of the protestors are mostly younger people who are not going to need to be tested. But police departments and national guard have had huge spikes since the protests who are older than the protestors. And many cities like Los Angeles and Houston who had large protests have had some of the biggest increases in cases. And these protestors are giving it to older people who end up in the hospital.

Houston Police Chief Blames Protests For Spike In Coronavirus Cases In Department

https://www.republicworld.com/world-...epartment.html

LAPD coronavirus cases spike, adding to debate over role of protests in spread

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ests-in-spread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates