Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 01:19 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes - The Constitution of the United States of America.
You are violating 3 or 4 amendments that I can think of off the bat, even in times of emergency.

But more importantly - to call it a "massive undertaking" for a spread out population of 350 million over almost an entire continent in one day is an understatement. It would simply be logistically impossible for so many reason it would take me several paragraphs to explain. .
A medical quarantine of sick or likely sick people is constitutional. The US Supreme Court says that a state's police powers to regulate the health, welfare, and safety of its citizens outweighs the temporary loss of liberty involved in a quarantine. I'm reading your post to suggest that mandatory testing of people is unconstitutional. I think you would apply the same legal analysis that you would to a quarantine. If it is necessary to protect the health, welfare, and safety of the community that interest prevails over a temporary and minor loss of liberty. I think most people would prefer being tested to being forced into quarantine for two weeks. Those who don't could have the choice of quarantine instead of a test.

Gibbons v. Ogden, 22 US 1 (1824).

Compagnie Francaise de Navigation a Vapeur v. Louisiana Board of Health, 186 US 380 (1902)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:29 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Last I heard, you are not contagious if you do not have symptoms. I have not had time or interest to confirm this, but if true, then testing is not necessary. Just take your temp daily and pay attention to how you feel and whether you cough. Someone will likely know and post whether the non-symptoms thing (from last week) is valid or just another BS junk science opinion. I do know the experts said you can be contagious without symptoms a while ago, but that was based on a guess that this acts the same as some other viruses, not on actual data based science. Supposedly a week or so ago Who or CDC or someone announced you are not contagious if you are asymptomatic so now some companies allow people who test positive to continue working if they do not have symptoms, but i have not been able to personally verify this.
I don't know where you heard that, but that's crap. For months now the word has been that asymptomatic infections can be transmitted. Here in ME we now have an outbreak where a single asymptomatic patient was transported by EMS to a hospital, then transported to a different hospital by a different EMS crew. He infected both EMS crews and a cop, and their families are now infected as well. We now have nearly a dozen cases stemming from a single asymptomatic individual.

I don't know why the EMS crews weren't wearing N95 masks, they should have known better.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:50 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I can think of lots of ways to enforce it that wouldn't involve a huge police force.

I'm listening, we could always make people dependent on the gov for income; then threaten to cut it off.
Has a nice Orwellian ring to it.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It was lack of test kits, lack of labs. Then there is false negatives, false positives, the results are only good for that one day.
No way could all the people be tested in one day.
Yes, but WHY is there STILL a shortage of test kits, and of labs? I read a few weeks ago, that Seattle was off offering to test everyone. If they can do it, why can't the rest of the country?

Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
One massive testing day. Obviously you would need a huge amount of volunteers to test people and run the tests. Hire those who have recovered to do this. Even pay people to be tested.

Quarantine all the positive cases for 2 weeks or until they are no longer positive. Do this again in 2 weeks. Keep doing this until we get the numbers down to zero. And quarantine all incoming people into the country.

Seems to me getting all the positive cases out of being able to infect new people is the best way to fight this pandemic. I know its a massive undertaking just to test everyone, plus the quarantining . But if there was a will to do this we could find a way.

Am I missing something?
This is exactly how Mongolia has managed to keep fatalities to 0, in spite of sharing a long border with China. They shut the borders, cancelled flights from Korea, Japan, and elsewhere in January already, called their citizens abroad home and quarantined them, quarantined any new cases found, distributed masks free to all residents all over the country, including in rural areas, and required shelter-in-place, cancelling all festivals, conferences, and religious services. 0 deaths, only 206 cases to date, in a country without running water in most areas outside the capital and even IN some districts of the capital! (The yurt neighborhoods.)

If you want good results, you get radical, and you do it at the first sign of trouble. You don't dither for months, then decide to do some half-baked measures.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:11 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You're missing a lot. Namely, the lack of manufacturing capacity and lab capacity to do it.
I get that we do not have that today. Really that was not my question.

In a country with our resources that can be brought up to speed if the will is there. Not today but in short order. If it was the number one priority it could be done.

What I do not understand is why we did not a month or two ago ramp up testing capacity. We are going on 4 months dealing with this and testing as well as lab capacity is an ongoing issue. Knowing who actually has the virus is crucial to combating it. Otherwise renewed shutdowns are right around the corner.

Today we had over 36,000 new cases. According to World o Meters which I think does a great job this was the 2nd worst day since the pandemic hit America, worst since April 24th. Its really embarrassing that we are doing such a bad job at dealing with this.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-23-2020 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
NZ, Vietnam, Iceland, Taiwan have. SK close but they started to open up and some idiots wouldnt voluntarily follow rules so.... It takes incredible amount effort to keep on top of this. And for sure its more difficult in large countries. But look at Vietnam in particular. This is not a wealthy country and they dont have resources to do kind of extensive frequent testing SK did, yet they got it under control and to where zero community cases, they still have to deal with outsiders and making them quarantine so no community instances dont develop.

But when you have corrupt leaders that only go around shouting "political hoax" with no grasp of reality, nothing good is going to result. [Moderator cut]

I get that we lack the leadership to actually do this. But with the right leadership and ramped up testing which I think is possible in time it could be done. But I do that will not happen.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:24 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is exactly how Mongolia has managed to keep fatalities to 0, in spite of sharing a long border with China. They shut the borders, cancelled flights from Korea, Japan, and elsewhere in January already, called their citizens abroad home and quarantined them, quarantined any new cases found, distributed masks free to all residents all over the country, including in rural areas, and required shelter-in-place, cancelling all festivals, conferences, and religious services. 0 deaths, only 206 cases to date, in a country without running water in most areas outside the capital and even IN some districts of the capital! (The yurt neighborhoods.)

If you want good results, you get radical, and you do it at the first sign of trouble. You don't dither for months, then decide to do some half-baked measures.
Exactly. New Zealand is also another country who acted early and got good results.

But what if you already have dither for months and now you have massive spread of the virus. How do you fix it?

The big mistake US and a lot of other countries did was to have half-baked measures for a long time. Over time it did reduce the number of infected, but at a huge economic and political cost. Right now people have got fed up and another lockdown would be ineffective.

The right way to go, is to implement extremly stict measures for a short time period. Close everything down for 2-4 weeks, let volunteers hand out food, all non-life threatning medical care is postponed. This would reduce R0 to maybe 0.1 instead of 0.8 and at a certain point the number of cases will go down drastically. Even after you open up, R0 will stay under 1 for some time. It might not be enough to get cases down to 0, but it might be 1000 instead of 20000 per day.

It will also be a lot less costly for business. Companies have reserves to handle a short term shutdown. They start having trouble when the shutdown keeps going on for months with no end in sight.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I agree. But we cannot get more than half to agree as to what to do. So the numbers keep growing.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:32 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Just because numbers are going up, doesn't mean that deaths are going up. Which is what many peoples minds automatically go to, the death count. You have to also remember that there's many inaccurate test, faulty test. At this point, I don't even know why people continue to give this whole COVID thing energy and continue to feed into the mainstream narrative. With all that's happened, the elites are in damage control and holding on to this COVID non-sense. Love it or hate it but the BLM protest have exposed this whole pandemic non-sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates