Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 12:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times

Advertisements

We have seen this tired old line return in the past month and a half in light to protests related to the death of George Floyd (I am not including riots because that is something altogether different.) "America, love it or leave it." Along with other more vulgar variants. I have to ask why? It goes against what our founding fathers wanted for America. They revolted against Great Brittain due to unfair laws in light of paying off the French and Indian War debt including the Stamp Act, the Townsend Act, the Tea tax and the Intolerable Act. Founding fathers knew we wouldn't always agree.

I ask why do we have to resort to this. Don't we all want America to prosper? I can agree our methods and ideology behind how to make America better and prosper can be different, but why must we all agree on one thing.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,446,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We have seen this tired old line return in the past month and a half in light to protests related to the death of George Floyd (I am not including riots because that is something altogether different.) "America, love it or leave it." Along with other more vulgar variants. I have to ask why? It goes against what our founding fathers wanted for America. They revolted against Great Brittain due to unfair laws in light of paying off the French and Indian War debt including the Stamp Act, the Townsend Act, the Tea tax and the Intolerable Act. Founding fathers knew we wouldn't always agree.

I ask why do we have to resort to this. Don't we all want America to prosper? I can agree our methods and ideology behind how to make America better and prosper can be different, but why must we all agree on one thing.
I agree with your post. America was founded on "we want something DIFFERENT." That was the entire point of the founding of this country.

As technology, agriculture, medicine, transportation and communication all progress and the population grows, we must keep up and progress with it or some of us will be left behind. When people are left behind, they can't "leave it." They have to demand - and work for - change.

That's what is happening now. People are demanding change, because the status quo is no longer the status quo. What used to work for the majority of the population, now only works for the minority. And so the majority needs to work toward progress.

And when I say minority I'm not using a capital M. I don't mean "the Minorities." I mean the minority. The most restrictive group, sociologically speaking. Whichever group rejects change, whichever group rejects the fact that there are more people now, this country IS more diverse now - like it or not - and we MUST adapt to what IS, and let go of what it used to be. It isn't what it used to be anymore. We MUST adapt, and grow, progress, and embrace change.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,188,119 times
Quote:

I would leave since I don't fit in with any of the American culture of any region or state, but I was born here and nowhere else wants me, plus I won't fit in anywhere else either. So I'm pretty much out there on a limb in every society.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
Quote:

I think a lot of people do not think there is room in America for everyone to prosper - it is a scarcity mindset - so they are not happy with the movement for equal opportunity for everyone to prosper. And that means not feeling empathy for all of our ethnic groups, and blocking the borders from immigration.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:10 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,073,645 times
Quote:
"America, love it or leave it."

Considering how difficult it is to leave anywhere these days, anyone using this lame old cliche can be classified as brain dead.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:12 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,128,846 times
Implies that a particular person has less invested or a smaller voice in the happenings in this country... Not only lame excuse but also Un-American. The only people who say this are content with the status quo and not interested in progress even if it is for the greater good.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:16 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,073,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I agree with your post. America was founded on "we want something DIFFERENT." That was the entire point of the founding of this country.

Every history book I've read states it was to become free from British rule.
Which considering many of our early settlers were British Expats and prisoners, would make perfect sense.
Unfortunately, in the end we traded one horrible government for another; along with our "Land of the Free".
Time to change that song too.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think a lot of people do not think there is room in America for everyone to prosper - it is a scarcity mindset - so they are not happy with the movement for equal opportunity for everyone to prosper. And that means not feeling empathy for all of our ethnic groups, and blocking the borders from immigration.
Sometimes positions at the top are very scarce.

Where is your push for equal opportunity when it comes to the selection for Joe Biden's Vice Presidential pick?

Why are white women, Asian women, Latina women and gay women all treated like crap by black women when it comes to this one very scarce position?

I see the mindset of "YOU OWE US! YOU OWE US THE SUPREME COURT PICK AND YOU OWE US THE VEEP POSITION, TOO. YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE FROM BLACK WOMEN FOR THIS POSITION OR ELSE ...."

(Bold mine)

Old 06-24-2020, 06:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I would leave since I don't fit in with any of the American culture of any region or state, but I was born here and nowhere else wants me, plus I won't fit in anywhere else either. So I'm pretty much out there on a limb in every society.
Yep. I mean it isn't easy to move to another country even as say an expatriate full-time. America is one of a few countries to have citizenship if you are born here versus birthright citizenship.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:05 PM

6,141 posts, read 4,626,089 times
Meriam Webster defines the term "Patriot" as "one who loves and supports his or her country".

Although the word has been hijacked to some degree by fringe groups, fundamentally, if someone loves and supports their country, they would want to critique certain things, see weak spots strengthened, and suggest changes to be better for everyone in the country.

Being displeased with the status quo does not make someone not love their country. In fact, the opposite is true (as it would be for a good parent, mentor, teacher, coach, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.