Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Basically that keeping quiet about injustices allows the injustices to harm others. It's short, rhyming slogan--it's good to think about what it means, but it's not literal.
This.

It's a more succinct way of communicating the idea behind the oft-quoted phrase: "All that's necessary for evil to take over, is for good men to keep silent." (Attributed to various famous historical figures)

Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
"If you see something, say something" just isnt as catchy.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:33 PM

1,138 posts, read 448,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
You do realize that Democrats and Republicans realigned their party platforms from what they were then to what they are now between the two Roosevelt administrations, right?
No but they claim to have. The fact is the democrats are still the racist, and now use welfare and other programs to enslave poor blacks along with any other poor they can trap. The democrats are the ones who always break into some odd accent when talking to blacks because they assume all blacks talk like characters out of some old 1940's movie.

Don't try to rewrite history or spin it as a switch. democrats were the party of evil then, and now.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Silence is usually just people having other things to worry about in their lives besides the outrage de jour.

If the slogan that had any meaning to it then people would be speaking out to protect FREE SPEECH that they disagree with, but that ain't happening and it's the most important issue we face. FAR more important than any perceived racism that usually isn't.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Also, it is a reference to MLK's letter from a Birgminham jail. The entire letter is admonishing the silence of the majority, but I think this paragapg is especially telling.

Quote:
I have just received a letter from a white brother in Texas. He writes: "All Christians know that the colored people will receive equal rights eventually, but it is possible that you are in too great a religious hurry. It has taken Christianity almost two thousand years to accomplish what it has. The teachings of Christ take time to come to earth." Such an attitude stems from a tragic misconception of time, from the strangely irrational notion that there is something in the very flow of time that will inevitably cure all ills. Actually, time itself is neutral; it can be used either destructively or constructively. More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to be co workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy and transform our pending national elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. Now is the time to lift our national policy from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of human dignity.
Full letter: https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Article...irmingham.html

Old 07-02-2020, 03:48 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
It's a "veiled" threat that if you don't support, donate and protest for BLM....then you have acted in someway violent toward them. In effect....if you don't agree with there cause and methods....you will be a target.
You nailed it here.

For BLM (the organization) the premise is rooted in all cops are bad, being white means you are racist, only whites can be racist, all law enforcement efforts towards poc is racism, not justice, etc.......

If I am silent when a black criminal is arrested for a crime, then that is violence.

That all said, I do believe that black lives do matter.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:21 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
The technical interpretation is, if you remain silent then you are endorsing police violence. By not vocally and violently condemning police brutality, real and imagined, your silence is tacit endorsement for it. As if you applaud and cheer every time the police behave with criminal intent and kill or harm a suspect.

But the broader meaning is that you have to submit to them in every way, shape, and form. So it is two-fer. First, they DEMAND you to march with them and give them money. That is how you "speak". Then, they DEMAND that you to tolerate everything they do, and support everything they want.

It means you are a bad person if you don't agree with everything Black Lives Matter wants, from abolishing the police, to reparations, to falling to your knees and apologizing for your white privilege.

Since BLM has been hijacked from its original civil rights pupose to one of promoting totalitarian communist anarchy, they need to resort to bullying to hide their Marxist intent and browbeat people into supporting them.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:28 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
OK, you all fooled me again.

This thread is not a debate thread. It belongs in politics and controversies, not in Great Debates. You can't have an open-ended debate topic like 'What does X mean". That is not "debate".

This thread needs to be moved to politics, or else I need to delete my post above because I thought we were in the politics forum.

The Great Debates forum is the most abused forum here, as regards following the rules.

A debate question is "Which slogan is more effective, I Can't Breath or Silence is Violence". Then you choose one and support why one is more effective than the other. You can't just ask an open ended question about anything and call that a debate.

You can't say, "Roe v. Wade should be overturned" and call that a debate question. You have to ask something like, "Is abortion more evil than slavery?" Or "Who's mind is weakinging faster, President Trump or Vice President Biden"? The question itself has to encourage debate. You can't just ask, "Do you like egg salad sandwiches"? That is not debate.

No, I am not a mod, but I fall for making political responses here in the Great Debates forum because the OP's are posting political questions NOT debate questions. I've got to start checking the forum I am in before I respond.

Sorry for the expository. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:01 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Thread closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates