Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 11:12 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to what other posters think the slogan Silence is Violence means.

The slogan appears to be one of the more popular ones shown at Black Lives Matter gatherings, but it comes off a bit nonsensical to me.

Does it mean I should speak up?

If I speak up, what if my viewpoint doesn't align with their viewpoint? Will they allow me to speak, or will they wreak violence upon me? I.e., will they use violence to stop me from sharing my views?

Also, if one is silent, how does that create violence?

Old 07-01-2020, 11:19 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Basically that keeping quiet about injustices allows the injustices to harm others. It's short, rhyming slogan--it's good to think about what it means, but it's not literal.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:56 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa11B View Post
What they really mean is that if you don't agree with them one hundred percent without question you are racist, homophobic or some other vile conglomeration of evil. I salute them with half a peace sign.
two thumbs Up boompa

Old 07-01-2020, 02:03 PM

189 posts, read 178,575 times
It's a "veiled" threat that if you don't support, donate and protest for BLM....then you have acted in someway violent toward them. In effect....if you don't agree with there cause and methods....you will be a target.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM

813 posts, read 402,249 times
Well, just look at the violent era of the KKK. Many prominent white men along with some lesser types donned hoods to terrorized black people. Their wives knew what was going on but they stayed silent. By doing so, they were just as guilty.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Well, just look at the violent era of the KKK. Many prominent white men along with some lesser types donned hoods to terrorized black people. Their wives knew what was going on but they stayed silent. By doing so, they were just as guilty.
Knowing that the KKK came out of the Democrat party, I am surprised that Black Lives Matter supports the Dem party like they do.

https://www.history.com/topics/recon...n/ku-klux-klan

The rhyming idea sounds plausible. It just needs to sound cool, I suppose, and doesn't need to make any sense.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Knowing that the KKK came out of the Democrat party, I am surprised that Black Lives Matter supports the Dem party like they do.

https://www.history.com/topics/recon...n/ku-klux-klan

The rhyming idea sounds plausible. It just needs to sound cool, I suppose, and doesn't need to make any sense.

You do realize that Democrats and Republicans realigned their party platforms from what they were then to what they are now between the two Roosevelt administrations, right?

Old 07-01-2020, 03:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,838 times
I assume it is similar to the concept of 'silence as consent' when the public observes that an act of violence or wrongdoing is being perpetrated against others but does nothing or says nothing to object to it.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:28 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
I am curious as to what other posters think the slogan Silence is Violence means.

The slogan appears to be one of the more popular ones shown at Black Lives Matter gatherings, but it comes off a bit nonsensical to me.

Does it mean I should speak up?

If I speak up, what if my viewpoint doesn't align with their viewpoint? Will they allow me to speak, or will they wreak violence upon me? I.e., will they use violence to stop me from sharing my views?

Also, if one is silent, how does that create violence?
It means if you don't join them you're some sort of deplorable raysis supremacist who does not know how to be manipulated by emotions rather than reason.

It's the same as you HAVE to agree with me. Typical Commie Party behavior. Or any bully for that matter, but what's the difference?

Old 07-01-2020, 04:37 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:

Just research who created welfare system and 3 generations on it that never worked.

Does it make any connection then?

In general, if someone does not speak against a problem, he is compliant with the problem and becomes part of it.
It is believed that, in such manner, those who see wrong doing and take no action against it, are encouraging it. As the result, wrongdoing only spirals up in its might.
This principle can be applied to any situations, not just BLM movement.
I am considering getting a mask with I CAN'T BREATHE on it. It may be then inferred, that I am supporting current protestors. Right? While, in reality, I indeed have hard time breathing with mask on and it's my expression of protest against wearing mask.
Look, it is not word, that is used. It is what MEANING one wants to put into a word.
English language has approximately 750 000 words. On average, English word has 20 meanings. Thus, any, even short statement, can be interpreted many different ways, as desired by those who use it.

As anecdotal story, related, back in my 'ol country, it was common to do matchmade marriages. Not necessarily by bride agreement.
When priest will ask if she is willingly taking this man as lawful husband, and bride keeps silent, priest will say Silent is sign of consent, I pronounce you husband and wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.