Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 AM

25,568 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
If that is the case, there really isn't anything to debate.
Quote:
There is some sort of optimal human population...but no one knows what that is. There are too many variables to calculate.

Perhaps you might be right...a decrease might benefit mankind. Now what? Mandatory sterilization? Kill off all seniors older than 60 years old? What type of population control scheme would you propose to introduce to reduce human population, that wouldn't be instantly dead on arrival? There is nothing that you can do even if your theory was true, so it's a bit pointless to even discuss this.

We really have no choice but to let this thing ride out. There are NO appealing or acceptable solutions to this problem.
I see the coming (in 30+ years) population decrease as very inconvenient. There will be infrastructure like roads, power facilities and water systems that simply cannot be supported and services that will not be offered. As a result, some areas and some cities may be slowly abandoned.

No one really knows how nations will deal with the reality, but it is easy to see where some countries will over-tax the working population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 09:32 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post

You can't force mandatory sterilization on ppl and you can't just eliminate them either. Especially in the US where armed resistance will definitely happen.
Yes, and it's a complicated subject. That's why (as I stated above), I think education is the way to do it.

In the U.S., our population increase (currently relatively low) is due to immigration, as it is in several other 1st world countries.

Last edited by treeluvr; 08-10-2020 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-10-2020, 09:37 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I see the coming (in 30+ years) population decrease as very inconvenient. There will be infrastructure like roads, power facilities and water systems that simply cannot be supported and services that will not be offered. As a result, some areas and some cities may be slowly abandoned.

No one really knows how nations will deal with the reality, but it is easy to see where some countries will over-tax the working population.
Sounds like we are doomed whether population increases or decreases.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:10 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
...What type of population control scheme would you propose to introduce to reduce human population, that wouldn't be instantly dead on arrival? There is nothing that you can do even if your theory was true, so it's a bit pointless to even discuss this. ...
Ironic, how we're currently in the middle of precisely such a scenario... and yet, most people in most nations are desperately trying to ameliorate its effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The bigger question is who wants to avoid having kids and who is willing to check out early?
Me.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:03 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The bigger question is who wants to avoid having kids and who is willing to check out early?

A lot of millennials, including myself. The times have changed.

Personally I think we need to ramp up access to abortions and contraceptives, and really emphasize their value to young people starting from their high school years. Then rely on legal immigration by well-educated folks to fill the declining birthrates and the economic decline.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:

Perhaps you might be right...a decrease might benefit mankind. Now what? Mandatory sterilization? Kill off all seniors older than 60 years old? What type of population control scheme would you propose to introduce to reduce human population, that wouldn't be instantly dead on arrival? There is nothing that you can do even if your theory was true, so it's a bit pointless to even discuss this.

We really have no choice but to let this thing ride out. There are NO appealing or acceptable solutions to this problem.
Killing off seniors wouldn't help long term; they're unlikely to breed, so that would not affect the birthrate. And I'm over 60.

How about bumping off every child born in odd numbered years, or leap years, or some other factor that reduces births to the desired rate? Right now, that's offensive, but after 50 years or so, people would be used to it. And isn't there something like that in the bible?

I've long thought that we should all get some kind of birth control installed just before puberty, and have to pass parenting courses before we get the antidote.
I picture a little gold lock in the belly button; you get the key upon course completion. Both potential parents have to unlock before pregnancy can occur.

That would prevent unwanted pregnancy, but might lead to discrimination, lock picks, sales of master key on eBay...

I read that Japan is developing robots to care for the elderly.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:55 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Contraceptives added to water supplies, starting with India and Africa.
WHO could do this w/o telling anybody.
That would be immoral. We should all have a choice, and not have something thrust upon us, especially not by some officious do-gooder from a wealthy nation.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
Hans Rosling has researched this very thing. He believed that our peak will be a natural 11 billion. As more people in poorer countries adopt capitalism, have an increase in medical care or survival rate for newborns we will max out naturally. It's two interesting videos on the topic:

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosli...ox?language=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyzBoHo5EI

Last edited by 2Loud; 08-10-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 12:43 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Thomas Robert Malthus

Old 08-10-2020, 01:31 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Killing off seniors wouldn't help long term; they're unlikely to breed, so that would not affect the birthrate. And I'm over 60.

How about bumping off every child born in odd numbered years, or leap years, or some other factor that reduces births to the desired rate? Right now, that's offensive, but after 50 years or so, people would be used to it. And isn't there something like that in the bible?

I've long thought that we should all get some kind of birth control installed just before puberty, and have to pass parenting courses before we get the antidote.
I picture a little gold lock in the belly button; you get the key upon course completion. Both potential parents have to unlock before pregnancy can occur.

That would prevent unwanted pregnancy, but might lead to discrimination, lock picks, sales of master key on eBay...

I read that Japan is developing robots to care for the elderly.
LOL I was thinking of a Star Trek episode where the aliens put their elderly to death voluntarily...kind of a sad and strange episode, but definite interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates