Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 06:22 PM

491 posts, read 324,474 times

Advertisements

I own zero guns. Zero, have no interest in them, but 2A allows it and people need to accept that and let responsible owners enjoy their rights without harassing them everytime some nut does something wrong.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
I own zero guns. Zero, have no interest in them, but 2A allows it and people need to accept that and let responsible owners enjoy their rights without harassing them everytime some nut does something wrong.
What's your solution to preventing some nut from doing something wrong? Incidentally, amendments*are not* forever. The 21st A, overturned the 18th A, that had been passed 14 years earlier, (prohibition). So there's precedent.*

My solution would be to allow anyone to have as many guns as they like, just tax the hell out of the ammo, $10 a slug, with exceptions*for certain categories, farmers, shooting ranges, hunters etc. That'll get the 2Aers worked up.
Could be controlled like prescription drugs are controlled to pharmacies. Not rocket science.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:02 PM

491 posts, read 324,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
What's your solution to preventing some nut from doing something wrong?

The issue here is something cultural. Lots of states have high gun ownership, only the US has regular mass shootings. The solution needs to be found by psychologists/sociologists. As a practical, real world step for the immediate term, I would have extra protection at high risk locations. That is about all that can be done.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:39 AM

36 posts, read 25,487 times
Quote:
What's your solution to preventing some nut from doing something wrong? Incidentally, amendments*are not* forever. The 21st A, overturned the 18th A, that had been passed 14 years earlier, (prohibition). So there's precedent.*

My solution would be to allow anyone to have as many guns as they like, just tax the hell out of the ammo, $10 a slug, with exceptions*for certain categories, farmers, shooting ranges, hunters etc. That'll get the 2Aers worked up.
Could be controlled like prescription drugs are controlled to pharmacies. Not rocket science.
An interesting point; the 18th Amendment was the first amendment ratified that placed a prohibition upon the PEOPLE. Notice how the Bill of Rights are all restrictions on the government to protect the people. It is not surprising that the 18th was repealed by the 21st.

As for an ammo "tax"; that already exists. A significant tax increase as suggested would not stop a bad person from acquiring the ammo. What it would do is, ensure only the rich would be able to afford the tools and means of self-protection. Those of lesser financial assets would be left defenseless.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry_Chief View Post
An interesting point; the 18th Amendment was the first amendment ratified that placed a prohibition upon the PEOPLE. Notice how the Bill of Rights are all restrictions on the government to protect the people. It is not surprising that the 18th was repealed by the 21st.

As for an ammo "tax"; that already exists. A significant tax increase as suggested would not stop a bad person from acquiring the ammo. What it would do is, ensure only the rich would be able to afford the tools and means of self-protection. Those of lesser financial assets would be left defenseless.
I believe repeal of the 18th A, was less about burdens placed on the people by the government, and more about the gummint looking powerless in the face of widespread law breaking. Al Capone & Co. did more to repeal the 18th, than all the constitutional scholars combined.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:04 AM

36 posts, read 25,487 times
Quote:
I believe repeal of the 18th A, was less about burdens placed on the people by the government, and more about the gummint looking powerless in the face of widespread law breaking. Al Capone & Co. did more to repeal the 18th, than all the constitutional scholars combined.
How do you imagine this will play out if the 2nd Amendment is repealed?

Old 09-12-2020, 12:08 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Thanks for indicating what the first 2 failed amendment were among the final 12 proposed. I tried to find them but could not. I thought maybe they would be something important, but it looks like they aren't important to my personal rights. Not like the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th, 10th are.

Most people don't seem to realize that the 9th amendment is to the People what the 10th amendment is to the States. Both virtually obsolete now after a long serious of usurpations and power grabs by the overreaching federal government, but on paper, they are wonderful protecting our freedoms from the fed gov. The lasted at least until the Civil War, if not right up to around 1913 when the Progressives stomped on out rights. Don't even get me started about FDR?

Off topic? I don't think so. Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, we were a very gun friendly nation with very few restrictions. Not only have I heard a parade of stories about school children bringing guns to school to use after school back in the day, but I have also heard a parade of stories about people buying all manner of guns from catalogues, with no restrictions whatsoever.

The funny thing is, homicides and crime are 10 times worse today under draconian gun control then they were 60 years ago when restrictions on the Second Amendment were mild at best, being almost unknown with respect to and semi-automatic guns, and manually operated guns.

In fact, before the National Firearms Act of 1934 which was passed in response to soaring crime by prohibition era gangsters, focused mainly on full automatic weapons like the BAR and Thompson submachine gun, as well as silencers. It really left everything alone. But that was the beginning of gun control right there. The laws didn't prevent any gangsters from using any of those weapons then any more than they stop criminals today.
Even after 1968, things were fairly gun friendly - My DW went to a High school where they had Rifle shooting as a sport, the school bought the team ammo - that was in the 70s. There was an indoor gun range on campus at UC Berkeley in the 70s and 80s, I used to shoot there - I bet few students even know it existed - there were no issues with bringing guns and ammo on campus.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:46 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
I don't see how you would ever get 3/4 of the States to agree, let alone 2/3 of the Senate and House.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I doubt it will be repealed anytime soon. More likely, an amendment of the amendment to clarify ambiguity.
The NRA seems to be a slow motion train wreck at the moment, so their influence will likely be less than in the past.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 AM

196 posts, read 184,039 times
Default Thomas Jefferson

"On every question of construction, let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed"
Thomas Jefferson.

Seems the framers of the Constitution expected endless debates as to the meaning of the original writings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates