Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 05:33 AM

290 posts, read 249,980 times

Advertisements

According to this study cited by the Smithsonian, it might literally be in the structure of our brains. Apparently by looking at brain scans, neurologists can predict whether you're liberal or conservative with about 83% accuracy.

Maybe there's a reason no one is changing their minds.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:45 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What makes one choose to vote as a Democrat or Republican?
It cannot be the candidate that makes one vote one way or another,
although it can be. I think many people did cross party lines to vote for Obama, but I think that is not the norm. I think people vote for the party in spite of the candidate rather than because of the candidate. If you are a Democrat you probably voted for Biden even if you were not particularly excited by him.
So what makes one choose to register and vote for one party or another?

Is it personal values? Such as those related to religion, culture, profession, tradition, region, gender etc?
Is it social values? Such as charity, non-violence, justice, equality, education, environment, health, equal pay?
Is it economic values? Such as taxes, corporations and small business, transportation, infrastructure, housing, GDP and growth, defense, world trade?
I think these issues are of interest for everyone.

What makes any of these Democratic or Republican values? And how would a Republican or Democrat characterize oneself? What are they voting for when they vote for Republican or a Democratic candidate?
I'm not sure I fully agree with your statement that it's not the candidate. I think it is about the candidates and what they stand for/against. The thing is, in today's world, the candidates seem to have separated themselves into a pretty hard split one way or the other. But for why a voter would choose one or the other, it seems to me:

Republican: Pro individual responsibility; pro Constitution; pro law and order; believe in the rights of the individual; believe that the market works best when least regulated and least subsidized; believe in conservation, not rabid environmentalism; believe in classical education to teach individuals how to think; tend to be driven by facts.

[edit]

Republicans tend to measure someone by their character, actions, and results. Democrats tend to think of themselves are more intelligent.

All the headline issues, whether illegals crossing the border, abortion, environment, taxes, economy, all tend to flow from these basic characteristics.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 11-07-2020 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Bashing not permitted. Did you not read the caveat in the OP?

Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
I'm a Republican.
I define my life by opportunity, not security. I left a couple of jobs because I no longer found opportunity for growth, even though security was clearly there for me.
I am reluctant to change. I like the old way of doing things, and that makes me a conservative. I am slow to adopt new attitudes, so I rejected the "Open Bathroom Mentality", as I call it.
I take pride in doing things for myself, and being independent.
I believe that an adult's life circumstance is a reflection of his thoughts and little else. There is nothing in our American system that prevents anyone from doing anything, so groups need not be singled out for special assistance or accommodation.
I grew up very poor and poorly educated. I cured that problem as I grew older and believe that everyone can do that - at least within bounds. There are people who, through no fault of their own, will always require assistance from those of us who are not handicapped in some way. We who are stronger should be willing to pull harder than those who are weaker, but we should be careful not to encourage weakness by attracting those who are merely lazy.

I retired in 2010. I am basically a retired salesman, although I have done many things....

Old 11-07-2020, 07:58 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Republicans - anti-Science. Don't believe in climate science at all. They somehow think the millions of pictures taken by satellites of the shrinking ice-cap are all a big "Hoax". They think thermometers are lying.

Republicans own big gas-guzzling trucks, live in mega-mansions, are against funding public transportation, are clueless when it comes to recycling, or protecting the environment. They want to end subsidies for installing solar panels.

Democrats have on average, a lower carbon footprint - either because they are too poor to own vehicles - or because they live in central cities and drive less.
In my neck of the woods, a couple of these statements are in opposition. Because of the numerous outdoor activities available where I am at, a considerable number of Democrats own large trucks, ORVs, and firearms.

Similarly, the manufacturing base is chock full or hard-core Republican workers who make only slightly more than minimum wage, live in entry level housing, and struggle to make ends meet. They are ardent supporters of the philosophy of earning their own way, even as they are struggling themselves.

Two of the oldest areas in my city that have huge old mansions are also some of the heaviest Democratic voting areas in the city. They typically own any number of expensive cars. The Republican areas are predominately in the newer developments further out on the edges of the city where new, million dollar homes are being built that are closer to the areas where mega-churches and military installations reside. I couldn't begin to say if that is a comparable to nationals trend or not, but the military does tend to trend towards Republican.

There have been two significant Republican eras in the US, from the Civil War to the Great Depression and from 1980 to the present. Similarities between the two times were exploitation of natural and business environments and de-regulation of rules governing the exploitation of these environments, de-regulation of financial rules and expansion of these markets, and exploitation of workers. Also within these eras-vilification of immigrant peoples and a stricter definition of class status that tended t o have narrow definition of acceptability. And a definite lack of taxes. These robber baron empires of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were built virtually tax free and there were few regulations around how they were obligated to pay the labor they utilized.

The period of time from the Great Depression to 1980 was one of predominate Democratic and liberal ideals. The social programs born out of the Great Depression and the New Deal kicked this all off. The prosperity of American manufacturing coming out of WW2 allowed us to greatly expand social networks by creating interstate highways, suburbs, extended prosperity with the growth of Detroit and the creation of the middle class. Income taxes on the highest earners were massive, sometimes reaching 90%. An overall mindset of doing what is best for the team was the order of the day. Increases in voting by women and minorities also were occurring within this period. It also had the dark sides of those resistant to the change create larger and more organized hate groups and while working much more clandestinely and still effectively creating fear. Much of the "good old days" that Baby Boomers reflect on now was born from that era. How they collectively changed their ideology from what they grew up with to the conservatism at the end of the century is a bit of a mystery to me.

Within all of this you can certainly cherry pick exceptions, just like I did in the beginning of this post, or with any individual politician, to demonstrate outliers in the general traits.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:03 AM

15,957 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
According to this study cited by the Smithsonian, it might literally be in the structure of our brains. Apparently by looking at brain scans, neurologists can predict whether you're liberal or conservative with about 83% accuracy.

Interesting. I can buy that. We are biologically different.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:40 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post

Fascinating article! Quoted from link:

Quote:
Previous research has shown that during MRI scans, areas linked to broad social connectedness, which involves friends and the world at large, light up in Democrats’ brains. Republicans, on the other hand, show more neural activity in parts of the brain associated with tight social connectedness, which focuses on family and country.
Even more interesting was the statement made by the lead researcher Darren Schreiber (University of Exeter professor), that our brains can change. Which tends to suggest that we can gravitate between the two poles based on whatever a situation calls for. Perhaps it's that human adaptability of ours which has made us the top species on the planet.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:12 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I think that may have been true a decade ago.

Since then, the parties have been re-branded.

Republicans are the party of the native working class, somewhat anti-war, pro nationalist (which they were before I admit). Pro-meritocracy. Pro-Western Civilization. Job protecting trade policy. Tend rural and suburban. Tend religious.

Democrats are the party of open borders and mass immigration, pure free trade, pro-censorship in schools & media, but are essentially a consortium of identity groups that are heavily backed by the bureaucracy and MSM. Tend urban. Tend areligious.

As usual, evenly matched.

Honestly, I think 'parties' are the wrong way to look at it. What you really are seeing are alliances between self-interested groups. The most important single group, the bureaucracy itself, has strongly chosen a side, which is kind of a bummer but it's happened before.
No, the bolded was Reagan's policy, as a Republican being pro-business. Cheap imported labor benefits business, not US workers. Democrats are pro-labor, and for protecting American jobs. One could just as easily argue, that Republicans are pro-citizen surveillance (G.W Bush having approved domestic spying by the NSA), pro-war (again: see GW Bush response to 9/11, also his war in Kuwait, and Iraq), and pro-censorship of the media (again: GW Bush). Large sectors of the Religious Right are also pro-censorship in the schools, especially as regards the teaching of science. Democrats are pro-job protection, being pro-union, while Repubs have been anti-union (see Reagan again), as the Party that's pro-business interests.

GW Bush on Free Trade:
Quote:
When I took office, America had free trade agreements in place with three countries: Canada, Mexico, & Israel. By the time I left, we had agreements with 17, including developing countries such as Jordan & Morocco, and the young democracies of Central America.
To further boost African economies, we worked with G-8 partners to cancel more than $34 billion in debt from poor African countries. The initiative built on the substantial debt relief President Clinton had secured. A report by Bono's DATA organization concluded that debt relief has allowed African nations to send 42 million more children to school.
His record on expanding Free Trade:
https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archi...greements.html.
Free trade has been pursued by both Parties, as part of a larger globalization movement world-wide.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:31 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Republicans favor smaller gov't, less regulation and taxation to support capitalism. Strong border security, military, and law and order. Fair foreign policies.

Basically this: Keep the gov't out of the American people's business.

Democrats favor more gov't, health care and college for all, pro-environment, public funds for the underclass, stricter controls/requirements on employers.

Basically this: Spread the wealth, everyone should stand as equals.

My tendency personally is the lean Republican. I'm an old conservative who's had to work and sacrifice for everything I have. Get up in the morning and get work done whether you're sick or not. Nobody owes you anything. In America you don't need a hand out if you're willing to take control of your life and make it happen. On your terms.

My objections to the Democrat side is that it takes from those who have produced to give to those who have not. It doesn't value meritocracy. Free college, free healthcare, legalization of drugs, gun control, abortion as a contraception option. Democrats don't seem to demand personal accountability like the Republican side does.

Last edited by tommy64; 11-07-2020 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Republicans favor smaller gov't, less regulation and taxation to support capitalism. Strong border security, military, and law and order. Fair foreign policies.

Democrats favor more gov't, health care and college for all, pro-environment, public funds for the underclass, stricter controls/requirements on employers.

My tendency personally is the lean Republican. I'm an old conservative who's had to work and sacrifice for everything I have. Get up in the morning and get work done whether you're sick or not. Nobody owes you anything. In America you don't need a hand out if you're willing to take control of your life and make it happen. On your terms.

My objections to the Democrat side is that it takes from those who have produced to give to those who have not. It doesn't value meritocracy. Free college, free healthcare, legalization of drugs, gun control, abortion as a contraception option. Democrats don't seem to demand personal accountability like the Republican side does.
I'm not aware that the bolded is part of the Dem platform. Bernie Sanders =/= the Dem Party. Legalization of drugs also is not part of the Party platform. Just because legalization of marijuana has taken place in some states, doesn't mean anyone advocates for a drug free-for-all.

I hope we would refrain, for the purposes of this discussion, from putting words in the mouth of one Party or another. Please back up your claims with legitimate links, otherwise.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-07-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-07-2020, 10:32 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post

Well said. But don’t forget about Independents. A growing segment of the population. In my experience many are fiscally conservative Republicans but social liberals. Where I live thats very common. So if its a social issue many will vote democratic, like gay marriage, abortion etc. But if has to do with business, budgets, etc, then they vote republican. This is a very divided country. Not going to change. Hopefully the Independent segment will continue to grow. But what this country really needs is a return to the middle, which we desperately need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates