Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 11:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Democrats seem to advocate for all forms of life, even already born. I don't know any who advocate open borders though; just the legal immigration we already have.

Dems seem to take the long view as far as the environment goes, trying to preserve the earth for future generations, but R's are against environmental concerns. Short-term profits is all that matters.

Big business is sacred on the right; all people matter to the left.

Health care available for all (as in Europe) is a human right for Dems.
Health care is a privilege for the wealthy for Repub's.

Disagree on open borders. Many leading Dems promote open borders by eliminating any means to enforce border control. Remember "Abolish ICE"? If the interest is only in legal immigration then why oppose a wall? Walls can have as many doors as we choose but they ensure all entrants come through the door.

Disagree on the environment. I don't know any Republicans that don't care about the environment and don't practice conservation or recycling or cleaning. It's just that Republicans are interested in results not talk. USA reduced carbon emissions last 3 years by more than any other country and we didn't need to be a part of a global treaty to do it. But the treaty isn't about the US cutting emissions but the US sending billions of dollars to under-developed nations (which China is still classified as) in the hopes they will use it to cut their emissions rather than line their pockets.

Agree on health care. Republicans believe the individual should pay for what they consume. This is quite reasonable when it concerns choices on discretionary items. You want a nicer house, you pay for a nicer house. You want a nicer car, you pay for a nicer car. You want faster internet, you pay for faster internet. These are wants. Health care is a need. Health is about who we are not what we want.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Republicans - anti-Science. Don't believe in climate science at all. They somehow think the millions of pictures taken by satellites of the shrinking ice-cap are all a big "Hoax". They think thermometers are lying.

Republicans own big gas-guzzling trucks, live in mega-mansions, are against funding public transportation, are clueless when it comes to recycling, or protecting the environment. They want to end subsidies for installing solar panels.

Democrats have on average, a lower carbon footprint - either because they are too poor to own vehicles - or because they live in central cities and drive less.
Very wide generalizations that match up to the current propaganda. Not the visible democrat celebrities. They have a large carbon footprint, large home, large cars, fly all over and then preach to the rest of us. And my state of MN is 51% Democrats. Even in the metro area almost everyone owns a car whether they ride the bus to work or not. Most of the mega rich, gas guzzling, mansion owning people I know are Democrats here.

Very wide generalizations.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Is it social values? Such as charity, non-violence, justice, equality, education, environment, health, equal pay?

Those are the values that I believe in and I'm a Democrat. I can't say that I rate any one of them higher than another because they are all very important to me.

I want what will give Americans opportunities and a good life. A few more items along those lines would be pro-abortion (within reason) because it's the woman whose life can be ruined by being saddled with an unwanted child, not the man who was equally responsible. He gets to go on with his life.

The environment, because for whatever reason, the weather is all messed up, lots more harsh storms, ice melting in the far north due to warmer waters--and if you live near the coast you are even more aware of it due to the sea life that is appearing or disappearing in various areas.

Everyone should have health care and everyone should be able to afford it. Somebody has to be able to figure out how to do this. Health care is a right, not a privilege reserved for the rich or those lucky enough to have a great job with benefits at the moment they need care.

Thing is, all my Republicans friends want the same things. Which leads me to think the primary difference is that Democrats are idealistic dreamers about how the world should be while Republicans are practical realists about how the world is. I wish everyone could have a high paying job, live in a nice house, drive a new car, and be able to put away a nest egg. It's not mathematically possible.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:41 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Is it social values? Such as charity, non-violence, justice, equality, education, environment, health, equal pay?

Those are the values that I believe in and I'm a Democrat. I can't say that I rate any one of them higher than another because they are all very important to me.
I support:

1) Voluntary charity

2) Non-violence for political and social change

3) Equal justice under the law

4) Equal opportunity in education, housing and the workplace.

However, equal opportunity does not automatically lead to equal outcomes.

5) Clean air and water in my neighborhood and community and beautiful natural surroundings.

However, I do not subscribe to apocalyptic climate change hysteria or doomsday predictions.

6) Access to very basic healthcare for all U.S. citizens and legal residents

However, I do not support increasing taxes on high earners to unreasonably high levels to achieve this goal.

7) Equal pay for equal work

This means of course that someone who is more qualified or works harder than you in the same job can expect to get higher pay and promotions.

I consider myself to be moderately conservative.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:07 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
This topic appears to have run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates