Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 06:36 PM

1,702 posts, read 784,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Your statement is a broad rule of no matter what is going on in your life, suck it up and pay back your debts, I disagree and believe this is why bankruptcy exists. There are situations out of peoples control that greatly effect their financial well being. Some people may regain the means to pay back their debts, but that amount may be lower, and not cover the entire monthly payment. Student loan providers may or may not work with the individual and its a crap shoot. I believe it was Navient that misled thousands of their customers into higher payment and higher interest programs when the individual was eligible for lower payment programs. Its important to note how numerous student loan providers are continuously being sued for shady practices, especially in recent years. The whole you signed, so pay it back argument is s weak one IMO. If this were true, then we need to remove bankruptcy protections, refinancing, and consolidating. Whatever your debt is, you signed so figure it out. Its odd to me people have no problem with charging tuition onto their credit card and being able to discharge it.
See that’s really easy to say when it’s not you being affected by the non-repayment of the loan. But how about you let me borrow 5 Gs from you, and then something happens and I can only payback 3. You’d probably take me to court and be calling my phone all the time to get your money back. You surely wouldn’t want to hear my “sob story” or care about my excuses, because you are still personally affected by me not paying you back.

This is what is happening on a large scale, a lot of people are borrowing and then not paying it back, well instead of it only affecting an individual like the money I can’t payback to you… it affects all people who work, lend, and borrow because somebody will eventually have to pay for it. Don’t borrow money if you’re not going to pay it back.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:14 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
See that’s really easy to say when it’s not you being affected by the non-repayment of the loan. But how about you let me borrow 5 Gs from you, and then something happens and I can only payback 3. You’d probably take me to court and be calling my phone all the time to get your money back. You surely wouldn’t want to hear my “sob story” or care about my excuses, because you are still personally affected by me not paying you back.

This is what is happening on a large scale, a lot of people are borrowing and then not paying it back, well instead of it only affecting an individual like the money I can’t payback to you… it affects all people who work, lend, and borrow because somebody will eventually have to pay for it. Don’t borrow money if you’re not going to pay it back.
LOL actually I take the opposite position in a way.

I don't lend money if I can't afford to lose it (or give it as a gift.)

But then, I trust no one.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:23 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I got a ton of student loan debt. Lower interest to some nominal amount or get rid of it would be fine with me. It’s one thing to charge the high costs but to also allow Congress to set interest at 8%+ profiting off young adults is a problem. I know for years I’ve paid a lot of my income into my loans only for the principal to grow.

To add a bit, educational debt is the number 2 asset(yes, asset)in this country.
They are making too much off this debt to forgive it, it'll never happen; as Congress is incapable of living within any budget.
If it happens, it'll be a measly 10k; a one time payment.
Then Biden can cost effectivelyfulfill his promise.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
To add a bit, educational debt is the number 2 asset(yes, asset)in this country.
They are making too much off this debt to forgive it, it'll never happen; as Congress is incapable of living within any budget.
If it happens, it'll be a measly 10k; a one time payment.
Then Biden can cost effectivelyfulfill his promise.
Accounts receivable is an asset, yes, in accounting terms. When someone owes you money, the IOU is an "asset." But just like stocks you have not sold, it carries some risk, it is an unrealized asset. You can claim its value on your balance sheet but it may at some point become a loss.

And in terms of it as an investment, no interest has been accruing at least on Federal loans (all Federal loans, I think?) since March of 2020. Which means that although the debt is still considered an "asset"...it is not performing as an investment.

And they also have not been able to collect, all collections have been suspended, so they haven't been able to determine which are the % that are headed to default if/when the deferrals are lifted and which are still genuine assets and which will actually wind up being losses.

Though they probably don't write off most true defaults until the borrower dies. While they don't give any relief in bankruptcy, they do expunge student loans upon the death of the borrower, rather than trying to get paid from the estate.

I would say...it's not so much that "they" are making a ton of money on these loans, and cannot give them up because they need the revenue...after all, they've had drastically less revenue for over 2 years from them now... It's more that the US debt probably has to be backed by statements of net worth that involve assets and student loan debts may be used in the balance of assets to back our government's credit rating to borrow. Mind you, it's important to remember who the United States government borrows FROM. It is mostly the Fed and the people, by way of bonds and securities that are part of investment portfolios. The biggest chunk of US debt never leaves our shores. There are some foreign entities and governments that hold our debt (as an asset!) as well, the biggest one being Japan last I looked.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:54 PM

295 posts, read 338,147 times
Stop offering student loans. Tuition will drop. Then for the people who have personal loans they can get PSLF if they don't want to then they can pay the bill.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:50 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
I think a good compromise is to forgive 50%

But the government also needs to tackling the increasing cost of higher education.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Can people with very unmanageable student debt file bankruptcy?
If so, that's an option.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Can people with very unmanageable student debt file bankruptcy?
If so, that's an option.
No, as of now, student loans are not able to be discharged in bankruptcy.

But there is a provision that if someone becomes totally and permanently disabled, then their loans can be discharged (only for certain kinds of student loans.)

And there is a list of specific schools, where if you attended one, you may be able to get your loans forgiven.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/40244...giveness-list/

Old 07-11-2022, 05:40 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
To support student loan forgiveness is mind boggling to me. If anything, the cost should be a motivating factor behind what you choose to do in life. College is not mandatory, its a choice. If you cant afford to go and you want to, there are options out there. Nothing like introducing these kids into the real world by teaching them its ok to sign up for loans that they cant afford. There are plenty of jobs out there that that are in desperate need of people that in many cases will yield a better income than if they had a college degree. Unfortunately, the high schools push college on everyone because the more people that go to college, the better it looks for the school system. Our High School sweeps trade schools and the military under the carpet unless you specifically dig at them for info. If we "forgive" one type of loan, why wouldnt we forgive other types of loans as well? Loan forgiveness not only teaches that you dont have to be held accountable for your actions, but its also a kick in the face to all of those that did struggle to successfully pay off there debt.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
To support student loan forgiveness is mind boggling to me. If anything, the cost should be a motivating factor behind what you choose to do in life. College is not mandatory, its a choice. If you cant afford to go and you want to, there are options out there. Nothing like introducing these kids into the real world by teaching them its ok to sign up for loans that they cant afford. There are plenty of jobs out there that that are in desperate need of people that in many cases will yield a better income than if they had a college degree. Unfortunately, the high schools push college on everyone because the more people that go to college, the better it looks for the school system. Our High School sweeps trade schools and the military under the carpet unless you specifically dig at them for info. If we "forgive" one type of loan, why wouldnt we forgive other types of loans as well? Loan forgiveness not only teaches that you dont have to be held accountable for your actions, but its also a kick in the face to all of those that did struggle to successfully pay off there debt.
People who take out loans should repay the loans. That is what I have done my entire life. Apparently, you have, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates