Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 03:24 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,398,574 times

Advertisements

It is like carrying a large sign: "I'm weird"

When I was in high school grown men didn't wear shorts. When I went to Bermuda 10 years later they were a novelty.

In the US the hippies started with cut offs. Now I wear cargo shorts for 6 months of the year.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,911,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
I didn't know whether to post this in GD or the Psychology forum. Society (Western society at least) has come a long way in social freedoms for women, yet when it comes to male clothes, it's still looked down upon for a man to wear something even remotely feminine.

In my college class there's this guy who regularly wears yoga pants, knee-high leather boots and puts on makeup. He actually looks good in it since he's not too masculine but a few people in the class have commented on how they think he's a bit weird for it. Seems a bit immature but there are many adults who get enraged/ridicule men who choose not to conform to gender stereotypes.

I wonder why this is the case?

Moderator's edit:
To turn this into an actual debate for the Great Debates forum, let's presume that the premise of this debate is: "Men should
be looked down upon for wearing something even remotely feminine, because culture and society dictates against this."

Participants can argue either for or against this premise.
I think even in societies in the past where men were considered to look their best when they wore face paint, high heels, elaborate wigs or highly colorful and “frilly” items of clothing that would be “over the top” now—they were still dressing in men’s apparel—because feminine clothing was just as outlandish but with skirts vs pants…and other design factors to emphasize they were women

Women wearing pants was really considered outre by most societies since the dividing line was drawn

Scythian female warriors wore trousers because they rode astride like men and Native Aleutians because they needed the warmth factor
Greeks wore chitons and togas as did Romans of both sexes—but some variations
Japanese and Chinese men and women of certain social class wore kimonos or gowns—but usually affected different designs and colors
And think working classes wore pants for men—not sure how common that was for women…

In the 20s men’s dress shirts were striped w/white collars—solid colors were more for working class and definitely long sleeves

I am mid 70s and I can remember when a man wearing a pink shirt used to be considered too feminine and white shirts for office wear was de rigueur for a generation or more—

But those were still “men’s” shirts—not women’s blouses which have buttons on the opposite side of a man’s shirt…and often more colorful patterns

I guess it has to do with the herd instinct

Old 04-18-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
They did it because they were rockers, and they were socially acceptable to a goodly portion of the populace. LOL
They were costumes—
And I bet “rockers” didn’t wear their costumes to the dentist…

Old 04-18-2022, 07:34 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They were costumes—
And I bet “rockers” didn’t wear their costumes to the dentist…
And I bet they didn't wear chinos and ties.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:33 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,642 times
I went to the 99 cents store today to buy some Red Vines
and my cashier (appeared to be a genetic male) had a septum piercing, and glossy black fingernails. I didnt really notice his shirt, but I think it was kind of "frilly". I still wished him a good day when I took my receipt.

Buried way back in my post history, I posted about a time (pre-Pandemic) I wore a cowboy hat, more than a few braclets and black fingernails when I went out one night - I was going for 'outrageous Rockstar' but it didnt go over well in the early part of the night. A female bartender told me to my face "you look gay" but I'm not, and later in the night I even got lucky with a girl who I thought was out of my league - I directly credit my uncommon appearance (thumb and pinky rings). But its not a look I would do every weekend, and I wouldnt wear it to a job interview or an bank loan application.

Somebody upthread mentioned Scottish Kilts. I dont think there's anything 'unmasculine' about a Kilt, but most of us would still call it a Skirt.

So I strongly disagree with the OP statement "when it comes to male clothes, it's still looked down upon for a man to wear something even remotely feminine." At least in California, you can wear whatever you want. Not from a place of "I defy your judgment" or "I need your approval",

I just dont think of or care about, the opinion of another random male in my college class.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And I bet they didn't wear chinos and ties.
If they wore ties why would they wear chinos? Those are casual pants
And ties are not casual…

Check the photos on this link Led Zeppelin
Not on stage—not very outrageous
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/galler...archive-photos

Old 04-19-2022, 10:58 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If they wore ties why would they wear chinos? Those are casual pants
And ties are not casual…

Check the photos on this link Led Zeppelin
Not on stage—not very outrageous
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/galler...archive-photos
I didn't mean they had to wear them both at the same time.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:02 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,829,273 times
No one ever said anything about my Kilt... and if they did, they get the Irish commando salute.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:31 PM

377 posts, read 275,393 times
I'm stating the obvious because it should be obvious. Because being feminine is a female characteristic that attracts males and men aren't females. Make sense?

Old 04-19-2022, 01:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,736,335 times
It may be a cheap way to get attention. People can get offended when someone does something provocative to do that. What kind of statement to the world does it make when someone adorns themselves as the opposite sex? It's a distraction and a form of communication akin to 'daring' someone to comment about it.

There is something to be said for the customs and norms that maintain a stable and civil society. It's where dress codes and manners come from. Those who defy that are effectively thumbing their nose at society.

A comparison would be tattoos all over one's face, or baggy pants pulled down with your underwear showing. Even orange dyed hair can evoke a visceral reaction that amounts to "what the hell is this idiots problem?" It's a subtle & silent way to disturb the norm.

When people want to appear neutral with no 'statement-to-the-world', they dress down. Women wear baggy sweat pants with no make-up. Men wear jeans and a t-shirt. They don't need a costume for a clown act.

Doll yourself up all you want - go for max shock value if you're into that - but don't act shocked or upset if someone looks at you like you're odd. And if you're doing it with an intent to provoke a sideways glance, congratulations if/when that happens. You got what you were looking for.

Ya weirdo.

Last edited by tommy64; 04-19-2022 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.