Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:37 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that back in the day, Led Zeppelin's respective girlfriends would take them clothing shopping in women's clothing stores, or thrift shops, for women's clothing.

And I defy anyone to tell me Robert Plant and Jimmy Page weren't sexy as...

Old 04-18-2022, 11:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I just pointed out above that I had a dress that my guy friend wore and he looked WAY better in it than I did. It was a sleeveless ‘60s mini dress that showed off the arms and legs. He had really nice arms and legs. I think most people who saw him in it thought he looked good.
I've noticed that MANY men have longer, more shapely legs than women. I hate that the baggy pants took over those short-shorts! No one looks good in them.

I also like the frilly pirate shirts some men can get away with, like Justin Hayward of Moody Blues, along with his tight pants. Sexy! And the longer hair....

Old 04-18-2022, 12:24 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I read somewhere that back in the day, Led Zeppelin's respective girlfriends would take them clothing shopping in women's clothing stores, or thrift shops, for women's clothing.

And I defy anyone to tell me Robert Plant and Jimmy Page weren't sexy as...
They did that for the shock value, which means they did it precisely because it was not "socially acceptable".

Old 04-18-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
They did that for the shock value, which means they did it precisely because it was not "socially acceptable".
They did it because they were rockers, and they were socially acceptable to a goodly portion of the populace. LOL

Old 04-18-2022, 01:41 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Society has long demanded that people stay in their 'lanes', as defined by gender and race and religion and social status and a number of other attributes. To allow people to 'switch lanes', so to speak, was to allow a social mobility that threatened the power of those at the top.

For the most part, people who have a fit over someone who dares to be different have no idea why they don't like it (though they usually have laundry list of excuses, most of them baseless, to justify their disapproval). They've simply internalized the social construct that 'acting different than you're supposed to act' is bad, and so they unthinkingly play their part in trying to discourage it. In short, they're Sneetches.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 04-18-2022 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Sorry, but please only link to copyrighted material. Thank you.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:00 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
They did it because they were rockers, and they were socially acceptable to a goodly portion of the populace. LOL
I get what you're saying but their fans did not dress like them. I was a Led Zeppelin fan, plus David Bowie, plus T Rex and all of the glam rockers starting in about 1972 but I sure didn't dress like them!

My understanding of the OP's question is that he/she is applying it to the general public, not to people in the entertainment business who are looking for attention.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:12 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
So, just wondering if others agree or can expand on my view of it..

First off.. "Back in the day" and for my purposes here, that's going to be the 70's and 80's..

Not only was in unacceptable for men to wear traditionally womens clothing.. It was the same for Women wearing men's clothing. Remember the brou-ha-ha regarding Hillary and the pantsuits?

But. Outside of that. It seems to me that part of it has to do with people not liking to be.. 'tricked'

Now, back in the day, this came out as the jokes about picking up a hot looking woman at a bar only to discover some additional parts. You even have references to this in song.. Remember "Funky Cold Medina".. Sheila was a man.

I think this ties back, at the root, to what someone else already mentioned, about people remaining in their lanes.

as humans, we do like black and white vs shades of grey. It's one of the reasons that it's going to take a very long time for some of these new notions of gender fluidity and the like to be fully able to be handled. I mean, hell, I'm accepting of it.. But I can't tell you at all that I understand it. Doubt I ever will. But.. If it floats their boat. They're not hurting anyone.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I get what you're saying but their fans did not dress like them. I was a Led Zeppelin fan, plus David Bowie, plus T Rex and all of the glam rockers starting in about 1972 but I sure didn't dress like them!

My understanding of the OP's question is that he/she is applying it to the general public, not to people in the entertainment business who are looking for attention.
Eh. I get where you're coming from, and agree to an extent. However, no one can ever please everyone all at the same time.

This is a bit tongue in cheek, BUT

mullets appeal to the rednecks
berets appeal to the French
cowboy hats appeal to the Texans
tie dye appeals to the old hippies
suits and ties appeal to the bankers
long beards, leather jackets and chaps appeal to the bikers

It seems that everyone has a niche, and if you're in that niche, than you ARE the norm...within that niche. Earlier up, I said that I thought that 'creative types' of men were more likely to wear feminine clothing, and they don't get weighed down by the status quo.

Honestly, I think admire people who are avante garde. I always say I'm going to be the kind of old lady who goes out and about with a feather boa and lots of jewelry. There's a 5 yr. old little girl inside me who REALLY wants out. LOL

Old 04-18-2022, 02:48 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:

Honestly, I think admire people who are avante garde. I always say I'm going to be the kind of old lady who goes out and about with a feather boa and lots of jewelry. There's a 5 yr. old little girl inside me who REALLY wants out. LOL
I used to host a ladies' holiday tea every year, and encouraged everyone to pretend they were six years old when choosing their outfit for the party. The first year, they were kind of timid, but got into it after that. We looked great, with boas, rhinestones, and fancy hats.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So, just wondering if others agree or can expand on my view of it..

First off.. "Back in the day" and for my purposes here, that's going to be the 70's and 80's..

Not only was in unacceptable for men to wear traditionally womens clothing.. It was the same for Women wearing men's clothing. Remember the brou-ha-ha regarding Hillary and the pantsuits?

But. Outside of that. It seems to me that part of it has to do with people not liking to be.. 'tricked'

Now, back in the day, this came out as the jokes about picking up a hot looking woman at a bar only to discover some additional parts. You even have references to this in song.. Remember "Funky Cold Medina".. Sheila was a man.

I think this ties back, at the root, to what someone else already mentioned, about people remaining in their lanes.

as humans, we do like black and white vs shades of grey. It's one of the reasons that it's going to take a very long time for some of these new notions of gender fluidity and the like to be fully able to be handled. I mean, hell, I'm accepting of it.. But I can't tell you at all that I understand it. Doubt I ever will. But.. If it floats their boat. They're not hurting anyone.
It seems like, to me, that this idea has always bothered men more than women. I think women are generally more accepting of anyone who 'colors outside the lines' so to speak. Us women accept that some of the best designers of women's couture are men.

A lot of us gals back in the 70's found Dr. Frankenfurter to be pretty sexy in his corset, fishnet stockings, heels and eye liner.

Now, as sure as I say "bothers men more than women" there will be people who will say they are the exception. But heck, I remember, even in high school, we had some guys that liked the flowy shirts and tight pants and long hair...and they were sexy. I graduated in 75...so it's been a thing for quite awhile now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates