Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 01:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,490,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Agree with you on the kilts and public seating.
Another thread, or part of some other thread had talks about women not wearing underwear under their skirts/dresses, and sitting down in public places. Ditto there! I learned that women's swimsuits come with a "hygienic liner" that you remove after you've purchased the swimwear. Men' swim trunks come with no such thing

Old 04-20-2022, 01:22 PM

602 posts, read 507,327 times
@ackmoundal - I agree that in hot weather, with minimal physical activity (where you don't have to worry about being "exposed"), is one of the few times you can argue that "feminine" clothing (i.e. dresses/skirts) is more practical. Although shorts will give you most of that benefit without the "exposure" risk, in some cases (like those dress code protests) it's easier to argue in "relative" terms (if one gender can wear this then so can the other) than "absolute" (getting shorts to be acceptable when they're forbidden for all).

That, and another time when "feminine" items are more practical is make-up if you're going to be on camera. Tight-fitting clothing is also the most practical option when you're trying to be as aerodynamic as possible.

OTOH, I can't think of a single time when you could make a practicality argument for wearing high heels (unless there's some medical condition that calls for lifting up the back but not the front of your foot).

Old 04-20-2022, 02:27 PM

880 posts, read 569,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Another thread, or part of some other thread had talks about women not wearing underwear under their skirts/dresses, and sitting down in public places. Ditto there! I learned that women's swimsuits come with a "hygienic liner" that you remove after you've purchased the swimwear. Men' swim trunks come with no such thing

FILTER OFF...

Hahah... well... not to get, how should I say... too descriptive. But women / girls of various ages have a "discharge" of wetness ... if you will, sometimes. Part of having a "gaping hole" in the front, versus the other thing. If a man is having a discharge, there's something seriously wrong that calls for a script of Doxycycline.

Women ALWAYS try on their clothes before they buy... they have to see what it looks like in the mirror, blah blah... so a bathing suit has probably been tried on like a dozen times before someone actually buys it. So the last thing another woman wants is some other girls fluid remnants in her outfit.

For dudes... we rarely try on clothes. Especially, if I know my size... I'm just going to buy whatever. And actually... fun fact, the vast majority of men's clothing is purchased by women FOR their boyfriends / husbands. So you look at a rack of girl's bathing suits, and they've probably all been tried on at least a couple of times. But then you look at a rack of men's bathing suits, and there's a really good chance that not a single one will have been tried on.

Also, I wear boxers when I wear a bathing suit. I have no control over that beast in my pants, and the last thing I want is to pop a boner when I'm coming out of the ocean or at the swimming pool. Really... I have no control... so better safe than sorry.

FILTER ON...

Old 04-20-2022, 03:18 PM

17,677 posts, read 15,386,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
It seems like, to me, that this idea has always bothered men more than women. I think women are generally more accepting of anyone who 'colors outside the lines' so to speak. Us women accept that some of the best designers of women's couture are men.

A lot of us gals back in the 70's found Dr. Frankenfurter to be pretty sexy in his corset, fishnet stockings, heels and eye liner.

Now, as sure as I say "bothers men more than women" there will be people who will say they are the exception. But heck, I remember, even in high school, we had some guys that liked the flowy shirts and tight pants and long hair...and they were sexy. I graduated in 75...so it's been a thing for quite awhile now.

Absolutely. And I'm sure there's.. At the very least 'touches' of homophobia that lead to it. But, even someone who isn't necessarily homophobic.. That often winds up being a situation that they fear. Illogical fear, I won't deny that, but.. There's people who are scared of snakes that they see on TV.

That isn't logical, either, but.. Doesn't change the fact that they have that fear and it's so strong that it applies to images.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:31 PM

3,309 posts, read 1,780,432 times
On men who wear yoga pants...

I take yoga instruction both privately and the occasional class and for either I 'll wear yoga pants or footless tights. The primary advantage is your instructor can see your body clearly and give corrections. Otherwise you can stress joints or ligaments and injure yourself. When in class I'm often the only man and I don't want to offend anyone or make the women uncomfortable in class so I might wear cotton briefs or even a dance belt. Which for those who don't know, is kind of a super jock strap and can be had with a quilted panel upfront which masks the outline of one's danglie bits (tip, get the "full seat kind") The yoga studio is walking distance to a coffee shop and I've walked in wearing yoga pants after class for a coffee and nobody's said anything to me about wearing women's clothing.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:55 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,726,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Women ALWAYS try on their clothes before they buy... they have to see what it looks like in the mirror, blah blah... so a bathing suit has probably been tried on like a dozen times before someone actually buys it. So the last thing another woman wants is some other girls fluid remnants in her outfit.

Nearly 50% of adult American women buy clothing online. Which is to say, they buy clothing befor etrying it on.

Old 04-20-2022, 04:13 PM

8,758 posts, read 3,927,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
On men who wear yoga pants...
I take yoga instruction both privately and the occasional class and for either I 'll wear yoga pants or footless tights.
Quote:
The yoga studio is walking distance to a coffee shop and I've walked in wearing yoga pants after class for a coffee and nobody's said anything to me about wearing women's clothing.
It would be odd if you were wearing yoga pants designed for women as opposed to that which is specifically geared toward men (and our needs/fit) i.e. Matador Meggings. Admittedly, they do provide more compression during a run.

That said, I wouldn’t consider ‘meggings’ as feminine clothing, because they are made specifically for men. In other words, men and women both wear tank tops as well, but coverage/fit/mileage will vary.:-)

Old 04-20-2022, 04:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 1,780,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It would be odd if you were wearing yoga pants designed for women as opposed to that which is specifically geared toward men (and our needs/fit) i.e. Matador Meggings

<SNIP>
I haven't found much (if any) any difference between men's and women's leggings with the exception of thickness. The women's are much thinner. Everything's about equal in comfort. If something's not fitting well either up size or downsize. From the outside one cannot tell if they are women's or men's.

"Matador" Interesting leggings, I'll have to try them.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:07 PM

8,758 posts, read 3,927,658 times
Quote:
I haven't found much (if any) any difference between men's and women's leggings with the exception of thickness. The women's are much thinner.
Odd, there’s a big difference, lol.

Quote:
Everything's about equal in comfort.
Quote:
From the outside one cannot tell if they are women's or men's.
Not true relative to our package/fit/mileage. :-)

There’s a difference between men wearing a neutral clothing item (made for our body i.e. meggings or a tank) vs. deliberately wearing feminine clothing. From my perspective, the latter’s intention is to feel more feminine.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:11 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,894,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Nearly 50% of adult American women buy clothing online. Which is to say, they buy clothing befor etrying it on.
I think that more adult American women are buying clothing online because sellers' platforms (like Amazon) make it very easy to return clothes after you try them on at home and then decide you don't like them after all. With Amazon, you don't even have to package everything up for the postal person -- you can simply drop the items off at a Kohl's store and the Kohl's people will package it up for you and send it back.

So, most women are still trying on clothes before they finally commit to buying them. I know I am.

I also wonder how many men are secretly doing the same thing when it comes to buying clothes online? Especially if some clothing items viewed as being "feminine" might make them feel self-conscious about buying in a public shopping mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates