Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2022, 02:03 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times

Advertisements

I wanted to write this post to bring to speak onto something that often times is little spoken about in regards to racial justice and how we go about framing our idea of what it means to address racism head on. Let me start by saying I am bi-racial (Black/White) and thus have seen both sides of the spectrum when it comes to how people choose to deal with matters regarding race. Here in 2022, we, thankfully, have come to a place where even the appearance of racism is shown zero tolerance by most decent people. I am glad that the jokes, comments, and mindsets that once went unchecked are called upon vociferously and relentlessly. Having said that, I do think we are at an inflection point where in order to build upon the momentum towards racial justice that has been building over the last decade or so we need to shift from simply being reactive to pro-active in how we respond to bigotry and those who engage in hateful behavior.

Here’s an example: I was in a vehicle with a family member (White) who was driving behind an older Asian woman who was driving too slowly for my family member’s taste. The family member in question voiced a vicious anti-Asian slur (I won’t repeat it) and at that point I faced a choice: Do I go into full woke mode and tell them exactly what I think of their language and attitude, or try something else?.....I decided to go the empathy route: “You do realize that when your ancestors immigrated here they were considered dirty and uneducated right?” Family member: “Well….uh….hmmm” Me: “If it hurts to hear our people spoken about in a negative light don’t you think you should refrain from saying things about Asians?” Family member: *Silence*. Since then I haven’t heard this individual say any more racist commentary in my presence. My point is that by highlighting how oneself would feel if they were the target of racist abuse maybe we can make headway in stopping further hatred.

I do realize that for many, this idea is a tough one to swallow. Centuries of hurt and injustice aren’t going to wash away through frank conversations and moral lessons. I realize the catharsis that comes from hitting back and lashing out at those who engage in offense, but in the end the only thing that seems to be doing is hardening people. I do believe that in addition to moral outrage we also need to explain the evil of racism through getting people to understand how their attitudes and actions hurt others rather than just condemning them. The fact is that when we “cancel” people we push them further into the margins, potentially opening up further deepening of hatred. As painful as it can be there needs to be open channels of communication and pathways of reconciliation for us to have a truly just society.

The Point: the outrage over social injustice is long overdue, but it’s ineffective without outreach as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 08:58 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I think recovery from feelings of victimization does require a period of awareness and anger - outrage, if you will. But at some point, to move beyond a sense of helplessness, the outrage needs to be set to the side so that positive growth can take place.

These days I look at the news and see new projects that seem to be designed to keep the outrage at the highest possible level. It has only been through taking in "news" in small pieces that I have been able to calm the anger that it can arouse. It works against my desires to have a peaceful society.

We thought we did the moral outrage thing in the Sixties but it seems to be a pattern that every new generation has to have its own moral outrage. And the ante is moving up. At this level we will live in a constant state of stuck.

To achieve that goal requires the cooperation of media and they have found something which sells.

We are all living in a place where half the world would like to live yet we subject our children to unhappiness by building rage in them. I agree with those who think it is time to stop talking and focusing on the victimization. It is the only way to move past the anger stage.

I know of no way to do this but one person at a time the way it's always been done. Sometimes the idea of "getting the anger out" only builds more discord.

So, in essence I agree we need to be gentle with our attitudes and speech. But I don't agree that the outrage is long overdue. In fact I think it's gone on far too long, has become habitual and it's time to rise to a new level of civility. Don't think we can have both.

People who live in a society where they are being called out for what they think or do makes for an irritable society. Far better to act the way you want other people to act toward you and be part of the solution, I think.

The question remains - how many people benefit from righteous anger and how many people would be willing to let go of it?

Old 12-22-2022, 06:22 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
There's something to be said about being patient with someone espousing "casual" racism in pointing out how it may hurt and that at some point their ancestors too may have endured similar treatment.

However, I don't know if one can blame a person of color who faces daily micro- and macro-aggressions going through life for not being patient. Then there is the social backlash to overdue equality that started about fourteen years ago and intensified six years ago to include tangible and proposed legislative and judicial actions that would do anything but resolve racism and general bigotry.

In another conversation, I proposed that a Truth and Reconciliation Committee modeled on South Africa's efforts would help the US heal from historic and current prejudice. Patience and empathy with people who don't realize their racism could certainly be part of that process on a personal one-to-one level.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:24 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Tempers were flared due the woman's slow driving and therefore the most dominate trait was that the woman was Asian and therefore is what the focal point of the comment was. Doesnt mean there was any hatred involved, just the minds quick response based off of what the eyes see. Had the woman been an old white woman, the comment would have been made about old people, doesnt mean they hate old people...had she been a young woman with pink hair, the comment would have been made about the pink hair, etc. Though I dont know your family member, I guarantee they are not racist...I have a temper and have spouted out things that made no sense just because my mind was spinning with thoughts. In your case and in my opinion, just because a derogatory remark was made does it mean they have any ill feelings against Asians. I of course am one that is incapable of being offended, so that may set me apart from the crowd.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:26 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
The subconscious racist/xenophobic/other-phobic fabric of USA's "collective consciousness" (not trying to be metaphysical here) will be healed painfully slowly, if at all. And it will happen with some sort of gradual cultural and social revolution restoring unconditional love for fellow man, as one would want to be treated in kind. If it sounds similar to the cultural revolution of the 60s/70s, well, that was the closest we got. Unfortunately, that mindset seemed to have gotten quickly diluted and commercialized.

Legislation still needs much work, especially in the criminal justice and economic realms, but one cannot legislate such racism away. It is a stubborn part of human nature/condition/habit, and exists collectively in the minds of individuals based on their worldview, all too often unrecognized.

Regardless of whether or not the guy was actually racist, the casual hatred of others and the desire to pick out and demean traits of others where it hurts the most is a major problem. The casual and brush-offable nature doesn't make it more benign in the grand scheme of things, it's arguably more insidious and harder to deal with than more severe forms of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates