Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2023, 04:23 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Robotics and AI and mining of planetary and asteroid minerals by robots will make space habitats practical and affordable for millions of people.

It's just a matter of reaching a tipping point of technology, and we will start to see some very appealing habitats in space that will accommodate thousands or even millions of people.

Well, when I say "we", I really mean our grandchildren or great-grandchildren, because this tipping point is probably a century or more in the future.

Listener contends that population loss by the end of the 21st century will limit if not end our capacity for great technological advances, and he may be right.

But A.I. and robotics will be quite advanced by then. Consider ChatGPT, which is already causing revolutionary change. In a few years, we may have something far more advanced that will make many professions obsolete (if not already).

Elon Musk and Tesla, among others, are prototyping humanoid robots that can do almost anything humans can.

When it comes to space exploration, A.I. driven machines will do the grunt work, building orbital platforms, ships, and rotating shielded habitats to boost humankind into its next phase of existence: populating space.

Will our descendants have any interest? Will they want to raise large families up there? Who knows. This is the stuff of science fiction and speculation. But we can't just give up.
LOL, if you think ChatGPT can solve scientific problems. You know nothing about AI. ChatGPT is nothing more than a internet information curator. It can't solve problems without being sentient. It is nothing more than an advanced search engine. It is based on pattern recognition and searching data online. Ask it anything it knows only as much as what answers are available on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 06:24 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
LOL, if you think ChatGPT can solve scientific problems. You know nothing about AI. ChatGPT is nothing more than a internet information curator. It can't solve problems without being sentient. It is nothing more than an advanced search engine. It is based on pattern recognition and searching data online. Ask it anything it knows only as much as what answers are available on the internet.
Exactly. Machines are fantastic at precision dexterity, and the quick and the miniaturized and the data-intensive. But they don't think. And probably won't be able to think, for decades to come - possibly for centuries to come. The thinking will have to be done by humans. Some of that thinking can be done remotely, at mission-control. Some can only be done on-site.

I worry about complacency, or mindless worship of technology, where we assume that suddenly we don't have to be thinking as much, because ostensibly the machines will do the thinking for us. We lose skills. We lose sharpness. The classic example is how engineers in the 1960s were better at math, than engineers today.. because they had to use things like matched asymptotic expansions to solve nonlinear equations, and not just fire-up the computer. If the usage of our brains falls, then sadly, the prospects of our technological development will also eventually fall.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:05 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly. Machines are fantastic at precision dexterity, and the quick and the miniaturized and the data-intensive. But they don't think. And probably won't be able to think, for decades to come - possibly for centuries to come. The thinking will have to be done by humans. Some of that thinking can be done remotely, at mission-control. Some can only be done on-site.

I worry about complacency, or mindless worship of technology, where we assume that suddenly we don't have to be thinking as much, because ostensibly the machines will do the thinking for us. We lose skills. We lose sharpness. The classic example is how engineers in the 1960s were better at math, than engineers today.. because they had to use things like matched asymptotic expansions to solve nonlinear equations, and not just fire-up the computer. If the usage of our brains falls, then sadly, the prospects of our technological development will also eventually fall.
AI has not become self learning or self aware, it's not yet sentient. People are hyping ChatGPT, they forgot that it's real advantage is the linguistic capability of understanding languages and translation. It has no awareness of what it's outputting. It's based on language patterns and deriving information by curating results. And people think it's already gonna replace scientists and engineers?

It cannot create unique content or knowledge. It's manipulating information that is already out there or regenerating patterns or suggestions using algorithms.

That's the problem with people today, too much reliance on the information online and not many people are self educated from the ground up. A lot of folks are nothing but hacks that borrow other people's content and claim it is facts without the ability to discern or process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I agree. The problem is that we still have no idea if any planets in the Universe can actually support human life. From what I understand, planets are considered "Earth like" if they are roughly the size of Earth, if they get roughly the same amount of heat, light from the start they are orbiting, etc. No one even knows if they have atmosphere.

But as you point out, the closest theoretical "Earth like" star is 4.2 light years away, at least according to Wikipidea::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxim...pha%20Centauri.

Our crude space ships don't even remotely approach the speed of light. Thus, it will take decades to travel to the closest planet that we might be Earth like...
The planet in Proxima Centauri b is tidally locked to their star which means the sun side is always facing the sun too hot or too much radiation it's probably as dry as mercury. The dark side is the only side that could be habitable. But the other problem is no idea if the atmosphere condition is conducive to life. Without an atmosphere no water, no air.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
AI has not become self learning or self aware, it's not yet sentient. People are hyping ChatGPT, they forgot that it's real advantage is the linguistic capability of understanding languages and translation. It has no awareness of what it's outputting. It's based on language patterns and deriving information by curating results. And people think it's already gonna replace scientists and engineers?
And you've forgotten that ChatGPT is an infant in early development. Already GPT-4 is a leap above ChatGPT and further leaps are imminent. AI will not remain at current state any more than PC's and cell phones remained at the state when they first appeared. When people talk about what ChatGPT will do, I do not think they are talking about the current code base in March 2023 but what it will develop into.

Have you even seriously tried to use it for more than ten minutes?

Old 03-30-2023, 09:00 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And you've forgotten that ChatGPT is an infant in early development. Already GPT-4 is a leap above ChatGPT and further leaps are imminent. AI will not remain at current state any more than PC's and cell phones remained at the state when they first appeared. When people talk about what ChatGPT will do, I do not think they are talking about the current code base in March 2023 but what it will develop into.

Have you even seriously tried to use it for more than ten minutes?
We are getting off topic... But I have used ChatGPT for a while. As was already mentioned before, it is a very clever curator of existing information that is available on-line. It is essentially a very advanced Internet search engine that packages the information you are asking it for. It has a natural language processing module, search/parsing engine and probably some Machine Learning capabilities to try to return more intelligent results.

Going back to the topic of this thread, in no way will ChatGPT help developing the new technology to allow for faster space travel. That kind of technology needs engineering teams building prototypes, launching them and analyzing flight data. But ChatGPT can give you a list of all current rocket propulsion technologies, can describe advantages and disadvantages of each method, etc...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 03-30-2023 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-30-2023, 09:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times
Oh my gosh, can you imagine if we were able to live on Mars? Would the same things occur that have happened on our beautiful Earth? Pollution, drugs, wars, crimes against humanity. Let's leave Mars alone.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
We are getting off topic... But I have used ChatGPT for a while. As was already mentioned before, it is a very clever curator of existing information that is available on-line. It is essentially a very advanced Internet search engine that packages the information you are asking it for. It has a natural language processing module, search/parsing engine and probably some Machine Learning capabilities to try to return more intelligent results.

Going back to the topic of this thread, in no way will ChatGPT help developing the new technology to allow for faster space travel. That kind of technology needs engineering teams building prototypes, launching them and analyzing flight data. But ChatGPT can give you a list of all current rocket propulsion technologies, can describe advantages and disadvantages of each method, etc...
Almost all new technologies and discoveries are based upon prior knowledge so any advances will entail a little bit of human vision layered on top of a whole lot of data accumulation and analysis. Even as just a very advanced search engine, the more of the research and information gathering load it can absorb, the more time can be freed up for engineers. Computers are tremendously helpful in data analysis.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:00 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:

I don't recall saying that A.I. would develop new propulsion systems for us. I meant that A.I.-driven robotics would be able to autonomously mine the asteroids and build space habitats. If you read back a few pages, I talked about this extensively. In a few years, or a couple of decades, A.I. will certainly be advanced enough for such tasks.

As for asking ChatGPT to design new propulsion systems or antigravity machines or fat-free sugar free ice cream that tastes good, no, that's not going to happen probably in our lifetimes. But eventually? Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Oh my gosh, can you imagine if we were able to live on Mars? Would the same things occur that have happened on our beautiful Earth? Pollution, drugs, wars, crimes against humanity. Let's leave Mars alone.
One possibility is to turn Mars into a prison colony, and send all the drug dealers, warmongers, and criminals up there, problem solved! Earth would then be a paradise of peace and prosperity.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:15 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
...........I meant that A.I.-driven robotics would be able to autonomously mine the asteroids and build space habitats. If you read back a few pages, I talked about this extensively. In a few years, or a couple of decades, A.I. will certainly be advanced enough for such tasks......
Yeah, I think the rover program will be extended and improved and if something worth mining and sending back is found then the AI programs will get into high gear.
If you haven't seen Good Night Oppy, you really should. It is right up your alley. The operators of the mars rover dubbed "Oppy" got so attached to her they grieved after she "died".
She was expected to roam and explore for 90 days and instead hung on for 15 years! In the end she was limping and the batteries were tired, but she kept on and on and on...

Old 03-30-2023, 05:24 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah, I think the rover program will be extended and improved and if something worth mining and sending back is found then the AI programs will get into high gear.
If you haven't seen Good Night Oppy, you really should. It is right up your alley. The operators of the mars rover dubbed "Oppy" got so attached to her they grieved after she "died".
She was expected to roam and explore for 90 days and instead hung on for 15 years! In the end she was limping and the batteries were tired, but she kept on and on and on...
Interesting. 15 years is like half or more of someone's career. Just imagine.

Actually, as I understand it, even the current Mars rovers have a bit of A.I. decision-making logic, simply because there's several minutes' delay from Earth mission control. "Do I stop, or do I go down into this dangerous-looking ravine?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates