Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:47 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,380,842 times

Advertisements

Cellphone etiquette

Its probably been discussed before but here is the issue, and there may be others. Is it rude to have extended, loud conversations on a cellphone in an area where people are congregated.

Now, I understand the technology has been around about 40 years now. We do not have to hunt down a telephone booth and fumble for change. We have gone from a bag phone that weighed a couple of pounds to a deck of cards that weigh a few ounces and fits in our shirt pocket. Its convenient, its there when we need it. Its no longer a phone but a data connection to the world, our map, our calculator, or camera and voice recorder.

It has brought with it issues like texting and driving, a light to wave at concerts and irritate others at the the movie theater. It also brings a one sided conversation that can be overheard by whomever happens to be close. The topics are never ending from 'Where are you" to "Which brand of beans should I buy?" Sometimes these conversations are necessary and its good to know your spouse is caught in traffic and you need to go pick up the kids.

However, when you are on the treadmill at the gym and you have a frivolous conversation with your 'bestie' for 20 minutes where everyone can hear you, is rude. If you really have to have an extended conversation, chit chat, business, talk about your hemorrhoids or otherwise, go somewhere private.

I mean, what if I opened a book and began to read out loud in Starbucks or some outer public place? Have you ever been annoyed by excessively loud music from someones car? Can you not shut the noise up? Cellphones are the same.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 11:10 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,170 times
Well, we're talking about American use of cell phones I'd imagine, and any level of civility we used to expect is long gone. I see people who obviously don't consider their loud talking on their cell as a kind of rude behavior, instead, they appear to view the walking and talking to be such a thrill and also such a convenience, that they just can't help themselves to be a better person. I guess it's just one more example of how much we've changed as a collective of people who at one time were considerate of others..

Old 07-22-2023, 06:34 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,610,748 times
Put yourself in the shoes of the others around you. Look at what they are doing, then imagine you were trying to do it, and someone was loudly talking on their phone.

If you don't know the etiquette, just use the golden rule. Seriously!

Old 07-22-2023, 07:23 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,763,524 times
I'm really not that bothered by it. How is it any different than if two friends were talking in person at the gym?

The only things that would bother me, whether on the phone or in person would be:
1) Talking extremely loud
2) Talking where you should be silent, such as a movie, performance, seminar, church, etc.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:39 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,885,863 times
The super extra bothersome thing is the speaker-phone conversation. Why do people do that? NO ONE wants to hear the other side of the conversation. I just don't get it.

If you are someone that routinely uses the speaker phone in public - please explain why, I'm curious.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:03 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,380,842 times
I used to think people were going crazy and talking to themselves until I realized the were on the phone via an ear bud.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,832,101 times
I'm not bothered too much unless it's an actual setting where one shouldn't be using it. Personally I don't like talking on the phone and people hearing my business and if I am on the phone around anybody, I'm probably giving a lot of non-answers, some uh-huhs, or something.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:03 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm really not that bothered by it. How is it any different than if two friends were talking in person at the gym?

The only things that would bother me, whether on the phone or in person would be:
1) Talking extremely loud
2) Talking where you should be silent, such as a movie, performance, seminar, church, etc.
I agree.

Now if I was with the person and being pretty much ignored while he/she talked on the cell phone...I'd leave, just as I have walked out on dinner partners.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:04 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I used to think people were going crazy and talking to themselves until I realized the were on the phone via an ear bud.
Yes...I was in a public restroom one day taking a dump and all of a sudden the guy in the next stall started talking. It startled me. I said, "What?" Then realized he was probably on his cell phone.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:22 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree.

Now if I was with the person and being pretty much ignored while he/she talked on the cell phone...I'd leave, just as I have walked out on dinner partners.
My wife also has strong opinions on phone etiquette. When her sister calls and if during such a call the sister says "oh wait, I've got to take another caller on "call waiting" then my insulted wife simply hangs up the phone. Whether cellphone or land-line, putting someone on hold is usually received (internalized?) as being put into second fiddle category which no one likes.

My gripe with cellphone USERs is at shows where some of these people just have to take pictures. Just another reason we no longer attend public events. They hold the phone up to their face and flare their arms straight out from their body -- and right into the face of persons sitting on either side of them. There is a way to do this with one's arms in a vertical position but too many nimrods haven't figgered it out yet. Hell, if you pay $300 for a ticket to a show then enjoy the show and buy the $20 DVD; no one cares to see your crummy pictures on a cellphone.

Here's a photo for the best way to use a cellphone in a crowded space, i.e., with elbows DOWN.
https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/494750/view
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-23-2023 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates