Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The criminal element has been around since the dawn of existance.
You or any law is not going to make it go away. If these people get sloppy they go to jail.
If they want to sell drugs and be cool about then there is no harm and the addicted get help. Being more open about treatment and still having it be wrong to sell will spread by word of mouth to make less people touch it or get out of it sooner.
The life handed to a junky after jail etc keeps them a customer.
Treatment doesnt.
Treat the need and the revenue goes away.
I'm sorry but history does not agree with this. Look what happened during prohibition.

Most gang violence in this country whether from the 1930's or from today is rooted in drugs. Legalizing some key drugs will not limited crime what it will do is destroy drug gangs and cartels and this will greatly reduce the crime rate.

My primarily reason for wanting drugs legalized is to fix the gang problem in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by Humanoid
Quote:
Any addiction is going to be psychological.
So?
I see no difference between a physical addiction or a psychological addiction;
an addiction is an addiction, no matter how you rationalise it.

Quote:
But most importantly, these are arguments for an individual not to smoke pot. Individuals should be able to decide whether they want to smoke pot.
I'd agree with you if the decision of the individual would have no impact on their environment, unfortunately this is not the case.
I simply believe that humanity as a race is too stupid to make these kind of decisions, because each individual generally only has eyes for his own individual needs.

Besidez, what do I care if an intoxicated driver is sorry that he killed someone by accident?
Feeling sorry is much too little and too late.

I'd diagnose that our modern society is highly prone to addiction, simply because we get bored easily.
This is because in a modern society we don’t need much time to chase down (read: truly earn ) our food; we simply buy it.
Like anything else in life.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by HumanoidSo?
Then lets ban the internet, it too can be psychologically addictive. If you are going to suppose something should be banned because its psychologically addictive that list is going to be rather long.

Anyhow, the argument that because something is bad for you thus should be banned is weak at best.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanoidSo?

I'd agree with you if the decision of the individual would have no impact on their environment, unfortunately this is not the case.
I simply believe that humanity as a race is too stupid to make these kind of decisions, because each individual generally only has eyes for his own individual needs.

Besidez, what do I care if an intoxicated driver is sorry that he killed someone by accident?
Feeling sorry is much too little and too late.

I'd diagnose that our modern society is highly prone to addiction, simply because we get bored easily.
This is because in a modern society we don’t need much time to chase down (read: truly earn ) our food; we simply buy it.
Like anything else in life.
Where one's addiction does NOT affect others...one should be permitted to partake. None of our business, really.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
See, if it were legal, you wouldn't have those problems with your neighbor! He'd go to the store, buy it, use it, and you wouldn't have the traffic coming through your neighborhood!
I think alcohol is worse than pot---think drunken bar fights! That would never happen with a bunch of stoned-out folks! They tend to be pretty laid-back and easygoing!
Pot has nothing to do with mis-use of the pain pills---totally different thing!
lol! Okay, with the tax you are still going to have folks growing the **** and selling the **** cheaper, next? Laid-back? More like stooopid! And it is convenient that you forgot to mention the ***** who is rolling down the street with her kids thinking she is driving 20 mph when really it is 40 and in a residential neighborhood with heavy kid traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you have ever smoked pot and been really high you know you cannot drive safely, there is one good reason there.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yeah, because what your neighbor does in his free time is really none of your business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Or course, he shouldn't sell or give pot to minors just as he shouldn't give alcohol to minors.

Driving under the influence is already a crime and should remain a crime. Also, as with alcohol the process is hard enough to prevent most people from growing it themselves. Just as most people don't grow their own produce...

This is really an argument for legalization. If you legalize it you can regulate it. You can easily do the same things to cigarettes yet it isn't done. Marijuana should only be sold if its 100% Marijuana.
Sorry the fact that they stink up MY neighborhood with the ****, the fact that their scrubby kids are bragging about a pot farm in their backyard? The fact that I have mofo's coming in and out of my neighborhood which was pristine before their nasty asses moved in and the fact that they have kids over at their home gettin em high and it is cool? Makes it my business, so why don't you mind yours?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
lol! Okay, with the tax you are still going to have folks growing the **** and selling the **** cheaper, next? Laid-back? More like stooopid! And it is convenient that you forgot to mention the ***** who is rolling down the street with her kids thinking she is driving 20 mph when really it is 40 and in a residential neighborhood with heavy kid traffic.

Exactly!

[b]
Sorry the fact that they stink up MY neighborhood with the ****, the fact that their scrubby kids are bragging about a pot farm in their backyard? The fact that I have mofo's coming in and out of my neighborhood which was pristine before their nasty asses moved in and the fact that they have kids over at their home gettin em high and it is cool? Makes it my business, so why don't you mind yours?
Trust me, your neighborhood was nowhere near as pristine as you thought.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Humanoid
Quote:
Then lets ban the internet, it too can be psychologically addictive.
LoL, why not ban life itself?

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
Where one's addiction does NOT affect others...one should be permitted to partake. None of our business, really.
The decision to legalize pot affects the economy which affect society and in turn will affect me as a member of society.
Heck, the stupidity of other people ( like driving intoxicated) already affects me.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Trust me, your neighborhood was nowhere near as pristine as you thought.
It was heaven aside from the *******s that reside here now. I would trade a crappy anal neighbor over a pot smoking family that has nothing else better than to get high, drive high, their goal in life is to stay high....

Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid LoL, why not ban life itself?

Originally Posted by TKramar The decision to legalize pot affects the economy which affect society and in turn will affect me as a member of society.
Heck, the stupidity of other people ( like driving intoxicated) already affects me.

How does it affect the economy? Those who purchase it now are going to do so anyhow. Those who don't are not going to buy it.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
How does it affect the economy? Those who purchase it now are going to do so anyhow. Those who don't are not going to buy it.
Because the criminal underworld will invest their drugmoney in real estate or other commodities which would make them appear legit.
The differences between the corporate world and the criminal underworld are already almost nonexistent.

Besidez, I don't want my government to be involved with the underworld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates