Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 03:27 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Although congress theoretically represents american people's will, I stand corrected. Thank you.
One can bring endless reasons for and against legalizing drugs, but the issue is how the majority see that. The same arguments in a different society, or at a different time could bring the opposite decision. Fact is that America is (still) a conservative society and many laws (not only those related to drugs) reflect that.
Um, no. You are wrong. The American people support more relaxed laws on Marijuana, hence the Medical Marijuana laws in these states: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. Despite the fact that the people of California have supported Medical Marijuana, the DEA still raids dispensiaries. Before you start spouting "facts", try looking at the FACTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:28 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
yes there is a reason they call it dope.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 13,707,820 times
Every drug has to be controlled. keeping Pot illegal is the only way it can be controlled, some thing that can grows wild is a lot harder to controll. Asprin, Malboro, Coors, it all has to be controlled or else you'd have third grade teachers trying to teach a class with a bunch of pot heads nodding off .

Old 01-24-2009, 04:11 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,416,004 times
Marijuana isn't called dope, thats heroin. Keeping pot illegal is not the only way it can be controlled retard, look at alcohol. Alcohol is way worse for you than pot, and is one of the leading causes of death in America. No one has ever died from overdosing on pot, its physically impossible. Have there be an age limit on who can buy pot, and sell it just like alcohol. There really are no legitimate reasons to keep pot illegal.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,531,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Every drug has to be controlled. keeping Pot illegal is the only way it can be controlled, some thing that can grows wild is a lot harder to controll. Asprin, Malboro, Coors, it all has to be controlled or else you'd have third grade teachers trying to teach a class with a bunch of pot heads nodding off .
This arguement always makes me laugh. So your saying if pot was legal, everyone would be high... I know I wouldn't.. are you saying you would?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 13,707,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
This arguement always makes me laugh. So your saying if pot was legal, everyone would be high... I know I wouldn't.. are you saying you would?
No, the fact as it is today is any one who wants to smoke pot does, it too easy to get, grow, or carry, MJ is basically a free drug its a weed, the goverment is just controlling it by keeping it ilegal. controll dose'nt mean stop.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,531,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
No, the fact as it is today is any one who wants to smoke pot does, it too easy to get, grow, or carry, MJ is basically a free drug its a weed, the goverment is just controlling it by keeping it ilegal. controll dose'nt mean stop.
Because it's so profitable(drug war) that they will never end it.. meanwhile innocent bystanders are in harms way bnecause there is too many criminals willing to do anything to make $$.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized?
Jeff Spicoli

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

I knew a kid just like him. He is as good a reason as any. Almost 30 years later he is still a pothead, living with mommy, working odd jobs.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM

659 posts, read 1,086,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Jeff Spicoli

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

I knew a kid just like him. He is as good a reason as any. Almost 30 years later he is still a pothead, living with mommy, working odd jobs.

So you're basing you're entire argument off of a fictional character and off of one kid you knew?? Tell me, would it rock you're world if you're "successful" friends smoked pot from time to time? Pot doesn't make you a lazy bum still living with mum well into middle age; it's the person, not the drug. Do you know how asinine it sounds to blame a problem on a drug? On an inanimate object that is neither negative nor positive by itself, but when it is put into the hands of the beholder becomes what they want it to be? Drugs don't cause problems. PEOPLE DO. Get that little fact straight and everything else is easy.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
So you're basing you're entire argument off of a fictional character and off of one kid you knew?? Tell me, would it rock you're world if you're "successful" friends smoked pot from time to time? Pot doesn't make you a lazy bum still living with mum well into middle age; it's the person, not the drug. Do you know how asinine it sounds to blame a problem on a drug? On an inanimate object that is neither negative nor positive by itself, but when it is put into the hands of the beholder becomes what they want it to be? Drugs don't cause problems. PEOPLE DO. Get that little fact straight and everything else is easy.

First, my response was a little tounge-in-cheek. On a serious note, I went to high school during the late 70's. Drug use was rampant. Most of the kids who used pot at that time generally did not do as well as those of us who did not. During the 80's when I was working in a professional setting, some of my coworkers used pot. It was against policy of course, but nobody ever tested. It was kind of an honor system back then. Not surprisingly, the potheads never lasted very long.

Maybe it is not so much the drug itself. Maybe it is that individuals predisposed to breaking the law and smoking dope already lack basic judgement, regardless of their educational achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates