Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,925,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because, when people stay at home and use their drugs, it doesn't hurt anyone else. I don't have to partake.

But when people run around shooting at each other, I risk getting caught in someone else's crossfire.

Eliminate the dangerous and RISKY things to make life better for all.
C'mon TK, you're waaay smarter than that! (By the way, are they "running around shooting at each other" where you live? My sympathies! Is that in America?) Eliminate the dangerous risky things? Such as SuSuSushi notes below? Firearms apparently rank 9th, not even in the Top 5. Who gets to decide what goes? You?

And what if they get high and run amok in the mall? Or if they get in their car and go for a wild drive? Or if they get to stabbin' each other on the streets while high? More people drive under the influence than run around shootin' their firearms, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh really? How 'bout these annual USA death statistics:

Tobacco 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000
Alcohol 85,000
Microbial Agents 75,000
Toxic Agents 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000
Suicide 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000
Homicide 20,308
Sexual Behaviors 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,600
Marijuana 0

Source: Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 19, 2005, Vol. 293, No. 3, p. 298.)
NOTE: The Am Med Assoc. is known to be anti-gun, so they've probably "packed" that particular statistic. It's also known that guns, literally by their simple, unfired presence, prevent a lot of incidents every year. One biased (NRA) report says >2M, but let's say it's only a measly 200k. Still....

But back to the OP, marijuana is obviously NOT a safety issue. It's illegitimacy is a convenient political football and enforcement/harrassment tool. Watched "Cops" the other night ("Bad boys, bad boys...what-cha gonna do?"). These nice officers were just following policy and runnin' a lot of our black brothers "to ground" for holding a doobie or two. Just another case of "whitey tryin' to keep the black man down!" I used to laugh at that one, but its true! Sorry man... (they also want to take your firearms...)

In our agreed-on societal construct, we have to trust our fellow man with his use of rec-drugs (incl alcohol & tobacco) as well as his toys (ATVs, hot rods and firearms). And his religious choices. Otherwise it's Russia, China, Cuba, Iran.

Last edited by rifleman; 10-22-2008 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: tpyos, clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
(By the way, are they "running around shooting at each other" where you live? My sympathies! Is that in America?)

Actually, they're DRIVING around:

Sheriff: Stacy case shows witnesses critical in solving homicides
MANATEE --- The Manatee County Sheriff's Office says it knew weekly street

shootings that plagued county neighborhoods two years ago were signs of gang

warfare. But it wasn't until 9-year-old Stacy Williams III was murdered along a

crowded street last year, that the community grasped the severity of the

area's gang problem, Manatee County Sheriff Brad Steube said Thursday."That's when people stepped... (more at site)

Published on 2008-07-18, Page 1, Bradenton Herald, The (FL)

Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,146,262 times
While Marijuana is not as harmless as some people say it is, It still should be legalized or decriminalized.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
Regulations - Well the FDA isnt doing quite a bang up job at what it already has to do. Plus you cant watch everyone all the time. Illegal sellers will pop up.
Another reason is that you cant just change a large system with the snap of your fingers. Think of all the people that actually draw a paycheck from fighting the "war on drugs" just on weed.
Also what about the few in the ghetto that sell nicks to get by. Thier sales gone? So they turn to violent crime or breaking in? Or sell real hard drugs to make up for it?

I dont know if this has been addressed but usualy cops will just take whatever amt the person has and write them a ticket for a fine. Or just take it. They only really go after dealers. And good for that because it brings violence. Money always does. I knew a friend that dealt, was attacked and her two roomates by a "friend". They basically had to move out of state. She was just some hippie girl. I was pretty shocked it happened and freaking glad I wasnt there. They had a gun and beat the crap out of her male roomate. Stole the stuff and her cash.
I dont want that next door to me. Liquor stores..dont want them next door either. I see a large problem with crime just based on knowing the amt of cash and the product in the criminal mind. Its just to dangerous for those that dont want to have anything to do with that world. Its not fair to them.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
While Marijuana is not as harmless as some people say it is, It still should be legalized or decriminalized.
I think all drugs should be decriminalized for the user. Not the seller.
Especially with hard drugs. Those people are sick and need help. Not jail and h.a. rehab.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM

oh yeh..one more thing..I do think the ban on school funding after a drug charge should be abolished.
How are you ever going to get out of being a loser when all your options are cut off? Or maybe have it as your first year with drug tests that YOU (user) pays for monthly for the first year and there after if the GPA dips below a 2.0

Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM

650 posts, read 2,180,221 times
If the government gets ahold of legalized marijuana it will not be the same drug that some of you know and love. It will have additives, preservatives and be taxed up the wa-zoo. I just think it is like the big tobacco companies and cigarettes. Smoking pure tobacco straight from the field has got to be healthier than all of the chemicals and additives you'll find in cigarettes to make them more addictive. That's how the government is making money and it would be the same with legalized marijuana.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think all drugs should be decriminalized for the user. Not the seller.
Especially with hard drugs. Those people are sick and need help. Not jail and h.a. rehab.
This will create even more powerful drug gangs. Making something legal to use but illegal to sell as a business simply doesn't work. This is what was done during prohibition, the result was the creation of numerous powerful gangs.

I don't think most people realize how powerful drug gangs like MS-13 are. These gangs are essentially well structured corporations with a large revenue stream coming from drugs (MS-13 like some other Latino based gangs does some human smuggling too). These sorts of gangs cause thousands of deaths a year and there is really only one way to stop them - cut off their revenue. If you decriminlize the user of drugs but criminalize the selling of drugs it will only increase their revenue stream.

Seriously, though it takes a huge effort (and cost) to take one of these large gangs (illegal corporations) down. And when you take one down, it just strengthens another.

So, yes increase drug gang/cartels revenue. Sounds like a great plan.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
If the government gets ahold of legalized marijuana it will not be the same drug that some of you know and love. It will have additives, preservatives and be taxed up the wa-zoo. I just think it is like the big tobacco companies and cigarettes. Smoking pure tobacco straight from the field has got to be healthier than all of the chemicals and additives you'll find in cigarettes to make them more addictive. That's how the government is making money and it would be the same with legalized marijuana.
Doesn't matter to me. I don't love it.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
What are you talking about? You can buy pure tobacco if you want. And drug sells should be taxed heavily to support any increase in drug related health costs.

But currently Marijuana is far more expensive than Tobacco despite not being any harder to grow. Marijuana grows like a weed out here in California, in fact the drug gangs take over parts of our national forests to grow Marijuana. Despite heavy taxes the cost of Marijuana would go down as you would no longer have to price in the risk of getting arrested etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates