Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,529,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He is an old civil rights warrior that waited all his life to have a national forum to express himself. It was a bit silly, but he's a bit old. We can afford to indulge his harmless display of vindication. I'm just thankful it wasn't Farrakhan up there, then we would really have had an earful.
No we cannot. Remarks like this are what is tearing this country apart. His words are not harmless or otherwise we would not be taking offense to them. It just divides us further. I don't consider that harmless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM

My take on the subject is this. People like Lowery and Jesse Jackson don't want there to be equality in this country because they wouldn't have anything to complain about. When you have built your entire livelihood around the civil rights movement and then all of a sudden people start to listen and actually do something about it.....well there goes the gravy train. Just think, the NAACP wouldn't have funding without people like Lowery keeping the hate alive.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 PM

382 posts, read 956,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I take it that you're a conservative and maybe a republican to top it off.
It shouldn't matter what I am; tolerance of my opinion as I am of yours is the only issue that should matter. Isn't this what leftists ask for, expect and require of people who don't agree with them?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,556 times
Lowery's overtly racist and offensive remarks, along with the many laughably ignorant statements being made in his defense, simply provide further substantiation of something that has been evident for a long time - the majority of "blacks" in America (or at least a very vocal minority) are simply unwilling to relinquish the comfortable and convenient role of perpetual victim. Instead of recognizing the obvious equality that exists today within the American system, they cling to the worn out delusion that the "white" majority is still somehow "keeping them down" - a world view that absolves them of responsibility for their actions and keeps the gravy flowing, all at the expense of the taxpaying public at large. The liberals that dominate the mainstream news and entertainment media are their willing accomplices and enablers, rarely missing an opportunity to portray whites as the villains and non-whites (primarily blacks) as their benevolent victims.

Understand that any person or event that contradicts this "black victim" paradigm represents a threat to their power, and is therefore immediately targeted for destruction. We have seen this play out repeatedly, with liberals and the usual suspects within the black leadership establishment slandering and demonizing certain successful blacks - namely those who provide living proof that the system is fair, while at the same time refusing to toe their line and adopt the mantle of victim. Notable and recent examples include Clarence Thomas, Alan Keyes, Larry Elder and Condoleeza Rice, all of whom have been crucified for the crime of being black and conservative, and for promoting personal responsibility over excuse-making. The young, naive, ignorant and stupid eagerly consume every morsel of leftist propaganda, with no attempt to weigh it against inconvenient obstacles like reality and truth.

The fact is that these liberal morons can't see the forest for the trees. They continually point to chronic problems within the "black" community - disproportionately high rates of crime, incarceration, dropping out of school, unwed/teenage pregnancy, absentee/delinquent parents - as evidence that the cards must still be stacked against blacks. The reality is that all of these maladies are primarily the result of bad behaviors and values on the part of INDIVIDUALS. Blaming the imaginary white bogeyman only serves to distract from this true cause.

But pity poor Obama. He has unwittingly made the proverbial deal with the Devil. In exchange for adulation and personal power, he has allowed himself to be saddled with comical expectations - appropriate for a supernatural Messiah, not a professional Chicago politician with the gift of gab. It will be fascinating to watch how the liberals react when, among many other disillusionments, they find that the myriad problems in the black community (not to mention the world at large) continue unabated in spite of their savior's assention to his throne. They will predictably try to place the blame on George Bush, conservatives, and whites in general (in that order), but how long before they begin to suggest that Obama might be just another Uncle Tom?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,887,400 times
Thanks, aragonin, for a great post. I can't rep you yet, so..........

If only some people would have the common sense and decency to see the truth - and live by it.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 PM

30,448 posts, read 52,156,901 times
Sorry if this has already been stated, but weren't those words from an old song or/and poem? So why are we blaming the Reverend for them, and calling him a racist? Inappropriate for the occasion, perhaps, but it's not like he made that up himself... and as a "white" person, I wasn't the least bit offended, so I'm thinking some people are looking for an excuse to whine. Maybe his point was that we HAVE come to this point, where the white community has embraced diversity/integration, and the people of other races will "mellow" and stick around. I see nothing wrong with that message, especially when you take it in the context of his WHOLE speech. Now I do have an issue with all the religious stuff at a Presidential Inauguration, but that's a discussion for another thread!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 PM

472 posts, read 742,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sorry if this has already been stated, but weren't those words from an old song or/and poem? So why are we blaming the Reverend for them, and calling him a racist? Inappropriate for the occasion, perhaps, but it's not like he made that up himself... and as a "white" person, I wasn't the least bit offended, so I'm thinking some people are looking for an excuse to whine. Maybe his point was that we HAVE come to this point, where the white community has embraced diversity/integration, and the people of other races will "mellow" and stick around. I see nothing wrong with that message, especially when you take it in the context of his WHOLE speech. Now I do have an issue with all the religious stuff at a Presidential Inauguration, but that's a discussion for another thread!

Please read Aragonin's post above.

Also, the song excuse is no excuse. There are some lyrics somewhat similar - but I can come up with many lyrics that would certainly offend a world-wide audience during a presidential inauguration, and I am quite certain I would not have you running to my defense.

Stop make excuses for the inexcusable. Lowery's snide swipe at an entire race of people was yet more of the same from the institutional Black "leadership" that has persistently beaten down its own people for 30-plus years.

Obama comes from this fold - I really-really hope he does not attempt to embrace it while in the White House, for to do so will inevitably lead to some serious backlash that will further divide an already divided nation.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiahmooDude View Post
Please read Aragonin's post above.

Also, the song excuse is no excuse. There are some lyrics somewhat similar - but I can come up with many lyrics that would certainly offend a world-wide audience during a presidential inauguration, and I am quite certain I would not have you running to my defense.

Stop make excuses for the inexcusable. Lowery's snide swipe at an entire race of people was yet more of the same from the institutional Black "leadership" that has persistently beaten down its own people for 30-plus years.

Obama comes from this fold - I really-really hope he does not attempt to embrace it while in the White House, for to do so will inevitably lead to some serious backlash that will further divide an already divided nation.
Thank you......do we keep repeating ourselves or what?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM

18,007 posts, read 15,710,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragonin View Post
Lowery's overtly racist and offensive remarks, along with the many laughably ignorant statements being made in his defense, simply provide further substantiation of something that has been evident for a long time - the majority of "blacks" in America (or at least a very vocal minority) are simply unwilling to relinquish the comfortable and convenient role of perpetual victim. Instead of recognizing the obvious equality that exists today within the American system, they cling to the worn out delusion that the "white" majority is still somehow "keeping them down" - a world view that absolves them of responsibility for their actions and keeps the gravy flowing, all at the expense of the taxpaying public at large. The liberals that dominate the mainstream news and entertainment media are their willing accomplices and enablers, rarely missing an opportunity to portray whites as the villains and non-whites (primarily blacks) as their benevolent victims.

Understand that any person or event that contradicts this "black victim" paradigm represents a threat to their power, and is therefore immediately targeted for destruction. We have seen this play out repeatedly, with liberals and the usual suspects within the black leadership establishment slandering and demonizing certain successful blacks - namely those who provide living proof that the system is fair, while at the same time refusing to toe their line and adopt the mantle of victim. Notable and recent examples include Clarence Thomas, Alan Keyes, Larry Elder and Condoleeza Rice, all of whom have been crucified for the crime of being black and conservative, and for promoting personal responsibility over excuse-making. The young, naive, ignorant and stupid eagerly consume every morsel of leftist propaganda, with no attempt to weigh it against inconvenient obstacles like reality and truth.

The fact is that these liberal morons can't see the forest for the trees. They continually point to chronic problems within the "black" community - disproportionately high rates of crime, incarceration, dropping out of school, unwed/teenage pregnancy, absentee/delinquent parents - as evidence that the cards must still be stacked against blacks. The reality is that all of these maladies are primarily the result of bad behaviors and values on the part of INDIVIDUALS. Blaming the imaginary white bogeyman only serves to distract from this true cause.

But pity poor Obama. He has unwittingly made the proverbial deal with the Devil. In exchange for adulation and personal power, he has allowed himself to be saddled with comical expectations - appropriate for a supernatural Messiah, not a professional Chicago politician with the gift of gab. It will be fascinating to watch how the liberals react when, among many other disillusionments, they find that the myriad problems in the black community (not to mention the world at large) continue unabated in spite of their savior's assention to his throne. They will predictably try to place the blame on George Bush, conservatives, and whites in general (in that order), but how long before they begin to suggest that Obama might be just another Uncle Tom?
Ahhhh, your missive is a breath of fresh air in a musty mine shaft of inanities. Nuf said right there.....

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,933,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Read some of the posts on this thread. The reasons many find it racist have been gone over again and again and again. Let me ask you: just because someone references an old song or anything they did not come up with, does that absolve them from responsibility? I'm sure there are lots of old-time racist white songs from the past I could sing-so would I be a racist for singing it? I'll save you the deliberation: Yes.

And with all due respect, the fact that you are "white" and not offended really has no bearing on whether or not his remark was racist. I would refer you to the whites mentioned in aragonin's post above.

P.S. No one here cares that you have an issue with all the "religious stuff" at the inauguration so maybe you should start another thread if that is your bone of contention. I'm sure you wouldn't be looking for "an excuse to whine" would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates