Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 AM

877 posts, read 2,081,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsp View Post
Mother,grandmother, whatever it doesn't matter he said it.
So because he was referring to grandmother that makes it ok?
Of course not. Actually, I think it's worse because his grandmother was the woman who raised him, while his mother spent little time caring for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,526,215 times
What I got from it was:

Brown is and has been doing what's right
Yellow is and has been doing what is right
Red is and has been doing what is right
Black is and has been doing what is right

White has is and has been doing wrong. They are the only ones that need to look at themselves and do what is "right"

Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,692,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
What I got from it was:

Brown is and has been doing what's right
Yellow is and has been doing what is right
Red is and has been doing what is right
Black is and has been doing what is right

White has is and has been doing wrong. They are the only ones that need to look at themselves and do what is "right"
Brown is running tinpot dictatorships and these dictators fund themselves with drug money and keep thier own people in squalor, yellow has practiced genocide and racial cleansing for thousands of years red has more reason to be angry than any other and I have nothing bad to say about American Indians, black has and is killing each other wholesale and STILL sells their own into slavery, if they don't get a wild hair and just kill the whole village for giggles. And he wants to level the finger at white people for ALL of this. What are white people, here in the US (or any other "white" country) doing that compares to ANY of the above. Or is the state of Africa, southeast Asia, and Mexico, cental and south America all the fault of "white Americans".? ARRRRG

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
nlj

2 posts, read 2,522 times
His words were taken out of context. His prayer is that we will move forward and 'completely' away from racism (which Blacks and minorities still experience today, by the way). Here is his "Exact" quote: "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen." In the older days, it was a rhyme African Americans would say amongst themselves when racism was prominent and obvious. A little research on the internet, instead of jumping to conclusions, would benefit people from being labeled as ignorant. Anyone who sees it any differently, it is either because they haven't experienced racism or they damn sure ain't Black...

Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM

472 posts, read 741,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Brown is running tinpot dictatorships and these dictators fund themselves with drug money and keep thier own people in squalor, yellow has practiced genocide and racial cleansing for thousands of years red has more reason to be angry than any other and I have nothing bad to say about American Indians, black has and is killing each other wholesale and STILL sells their own into slavery, if they don't get a wild hair and just kill the whole village for giggles. And he wants to level the finger at white people for ALL of this. What are white people, here in the US (or any other "white" country) doing that compares to ANY of the above. Or is the state of Africa, southeast Asia, and Mexico, cental and south America all the fault of "white Americans".? ARRRRG
You know what? Many who read your post will state it is far-right rubbish. Or implies racism. Or near-incomprehensible. Or a whiny rant aimed at a Black Civil Rights leader who gave a beautiful benediction at the conclusion of a glorious inauguaration ceremony.

I say, in light of those comments by Lowery, and in light of his long history of making incendiary comments regarding non-Blacks, that you are absolutely correct in your commentary. I too am both tired and saddened by the likes of Lowery, Wright, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Father Flagger, and all the others who continue to hold up Whites as the great creators of all that is wrong in this world while uttering nary a word of self condemnation for the ills they themselves and their supporters have committed time and again.

I was not fully aware of Lowery's highly controversial history. (He described America's role in the Cold War as the Devil vs the Saints - with the United States as the Devil...) FrontPage Magazine
Upon discovering this history, I cannot understand why President Obama would choose Mr. Lowery, of all the choices he had, to give the Benediction to his inaugural ceremony. Perhaps I held Obama to a higher standard than was deserved?

What I do know is this - Pastor Lowery's remark regarding his hope that "Whites will one day embrace what is right" was an intentional swipe against the very people who overwhelmingly chose Obama as their next president. Lowery's own history is testimony to his clear intent in choosing those disgraceful words.

Originally I thought perhaps his age might have clouded his judgement. No more. Pastor Lowery is a racist - an old racist, but a racist nevertheless.

If President Obama practiced such poor judgement in selecting Lowery to be part of his inaugaration, it gives me justifiable cause to worry over Obama's ability to adequately practice sound judgement in the far more crucial role as leader of our nation.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,692,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlj View Post
His words were taken out of context. His prayer is that we will move forward and 'completely' away from racism (which Blacks and minorities still experience today, by the way). Here is his "Exact" quote: "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen." In the older days, it was a rhyme African Americans would say amongst themselves when racism was prominent and obvious. A little research on the internet, instead of jumping to conclusions, would benefit people from being labeled as ignorant. Anyone who sees it any differently, it is either because they haven't experienced racism or they damn sure ain't Black...
Should this be taken to mean that if one is not black one cannot have experienced racism? If so I must ,respectfully, disagree speaking from experience. In light of all the rhetoric flying off the shelves , aimed specifically at white people, espousing all the "evil" we have done, well..it's getting pretty old, man. I'm tired of of being hated for the color of my skin, and for the things done by long dead and buried ancestors. I've been dealing with it my whole life, I remember my first taste of "black anger" very well, and I was very young when it was fed to me. Crammed down my throat for no other reason than I was white. Oh ,I understand racism all to well and it's NOT specific to whites. Despite that incident, I have NEVER done any person of another race any wrong because of their color. But that first taste was not my last either. Do I have some anger and resentment of my own built up. Yea, I do. Am I glad that I don't live in a big city anymore and have to deal with this every single day, Yea I am. Do I hate people for no other reason than race, No I don't. I do , however, feel that "black America" needs to do some soul searching of thier own.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,629,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
“When brown can stick around”

“When yellow can be mellow”

“When the red man can be the head man”

"And when white will embrace what is right"

For a man who hates racism.....I find this to be a very racist remark. Is this a way to start out a new presidency? Obama thinks we should all be color blind and then lets a racist give the benediction. Nice, real nice.
There are going to be a "north end of a south bound mule" say something about every little picky thing that is done around Obama. Most people I have heard talking about it got a little laugh out of it. Give it a rest!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM

472 posts, read 741,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
There are going to be a "north end of a south bound mule" say something about every little picky thing that is done around Obama. Most people I have heard talking about it got a little laugh out of it. Give it a rest!
That is the very justification used by so many for so long in defense of racism. It seems apparent that some refuse to accept that Lowery's comments were racist simply because he is not white. They parade this as being "open minded" and showing a "sense of humor" when in fact it is simply helping perpetrate the power of the ignorant.

Since when do adults condone wrong by stating happily to "give it a rest"?

Do you also believe American soldiers are terrorists? Do you believe the United States government has intentionally brought drugs into the country to then distribute into Black communities? Do you consider Yasir Arrafat to have been a friend? That the United States is the devil while the former Soviet Union was a saint? That former President Bush is the same as segregationist governor George Wallace? That Jeremiah Wright's type of preaching is worthy and should be defended? Those are just some of the things in Lowery's troubled past. He is a man of sometimes scathing accusation, with deference only paid to those who believe as he.

And as he stood before millions, and yet millions more watching on televison, he ended the benediction for the newly elected American President with the words "When White will embrace what is right"...

Take that statement in combination with the views he has shared so often and vocally in the past, and we see a man who made a statement with a very intended meaning.

You sir, with your pathetic admonition to "Give it a rest" fail to understand the implications of Lowery's speech, and in doing so, do an injustice to the very Civil Rights movement Lowery himself once stood for.

Shame on you.

Last edited by SemiahmooDude; 01-22-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,431,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
“When brown can stick around”

“When yellow can be mellow”

“When the red man can be the head man”

"And when white will embrace what is right"

For a man who hates racism.....I find this to be a very racist remark. Is this a way to start out a new presidency? Obama thinks we should all be color blind and then lets a racist give the benediction. Nice, real nice.
Yep, caught that also, it was not appropriate especially in front of the entire world....racism in reverse...

Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,976,897 times
I was disappointed in his comments for such an important time, but more disappointed that someone was selected who is the exact opposite of the theme of the inauguration. Dr. Maya Angelou would have been a far superior choice. She is someone I see as being able to evolve with age as opposed to hanging onto old ways like Lowery. I really liked another poster's suggestion that we embrace the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates