Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Take a look at recent posts - he continues to refuse to condemn the violent act of rape.
Why don't you just grow a pair and admit what's obvious. You lied. And, when asked to provide evidence to back up your claim, you couldn't. So you lied some more. And you continue to lie.

This pattern of yours leads me to believe that you just might be a lawyer after all...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Okay, let's play another angle - since you failed to admit the relevance of the first one.
no, no, it's not that I failed to admit the relevance of the first one, it's that the first one failed to be relevant.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your wife is walking one day to work. A man stops in his car and offers her a ride. She refuses. He circles the block, parks the car and approaches your wife from behind. He has a knife pressing on the small of her back. Passers-by cannot see it because of her coat and purse. He forces her to turn around and to get into his car. He takes her someplace and rapes her. Whose fault?

My mother agrees with you, she thinks women shouldn't put themselves into risky situations. I told her once, if I was walking past a bank and bank robbers burst out the door, and I was caught in the crossfire, she'd probably say it was my fault. She agreed, because if that happened, clearly I wouldn't have been paying enough attention to my surroundings.

The thing about rape is that a woman could always have been paying better attention. Hindsight shows that when anything bad happens to anyone, they could have done something different. Only we don't go through life knowing that we're not paying attention to the right cues, we don't know when we've missed an important clue. The men who are going to rape and abuse us don't carry signs advertising the fact.
I am not - and never have been - talking about cases where a woman absolutely could not have done anything differently.

I'm talking about women being smart enough to not put themselves in harm's way. I believe that's what JTUR88 is also talking about.

Previously on this ridiculous thread, I had a couple hysterical man-haters saying that it was perfectly acceptable for a woman to flirt with a man, take him home, get him into bed and actually do everything imaginable short of sexual intercourse - then flippantly decide that it was time to stop - and that was somehow perfectly acceptable behavior. THAT is a point of view that is STUPID. THAT is a woman stupidly putting herself into harm's way.

Big difference.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
A couple is on a date, it goes well enough that they decide to have sex that night.

The next day the woman is filled with regret and claims that the man raped her. She even has all the requisite evidence. He is arrested, tried and convicted.

Was she raped? Or did she LIE and say she was raped?
Elaborate on what's emboldened.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Was she raped? Or did she LIE and say she was raped?
Based on how you wrote it, I would say she was not raped. The man would have been wrongly convicted.

Let ME add an element though: The man keeps feeding her booze, and she gets drunk, and they have sex. The next morning, she realizes what happened and she files charges.

Was she raped in my scenario?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
IPreviously on this ridiculous thread, I had a couple hysterical man-haters saying that it was perfectly acceptable for a woman to flirt with a man, take him home, get him into bed and actually do everything imaginable short of sexual intercourse - then flippantly decide that it was time to stop - and that was somehow perfectly acceptable behavior. .
Legally? It is perfectly acceptable behavior. If the man were to proceed, it would be rape.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I am not - and never have been - talking about cases where a woman absolutely could not have done anything differently.

I'm talking about women being smart enough to not put themselves in harm's way. I believe that's what JTUR88 is also talking about.

Previously on this ridiculous thread, I had a couple hysterical man-haters saying that it was perfectly acceptable for a woman to flirt with a man, take him home, get him into bed and actually do everything imaginable short of sexual intercourse - then flippantly decide that it was time to stop - and that was somehow perfectly acceptable behavior. THAT is a point of view that is STUPID. THAT is a woman stupidly putting herself into harm's way.

Big difference.
It is perfectly acceptable behavior. It's not the job of the woman to meet all the sexual needs of a man, it's HER job to get HER needs met. If she doesn't meet all of his needs, it's selfish, but it doesn't entitle her to be sexually abused.

I could give a guy a BJ until he's close to climax and then refuse to finish. It's selfish, but it doesn't entitle him to abuse me.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
no, no, it's not that I failed to admit the relevance of the first one, it's that the first one failed to be relevant.
No, it is 100% relevant. Knowingly engaging in extremely risky behavior is a stupid thing to do. That IS relevant to this discussion, in light of the fact that a couple hysterical man-haters here are claiming that women can do whatever they want - including doing everything sexual but having sexual intercourse with a man - and that is not stupid behavior.

I'm continuing to say what I've said all along. Avoid high-risk situations. Don't do stupid things. Don't knowingly put yourself in harm's way.

Now... How about answering the rest of the post?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, the operative word it RAPE

It is sufficent for a woman to say or convey, she does not want to go through with any sexual activity - even if it is "shouldn't be doing this" - that is sufficent.

The man continues - it is rape

And should be.

I ask you again: Do you condemn the act of Rape on a woman, at all times?

Do you?
The operative word is "consent" because rape cannot exist in a vacuum---it an act that depends on the presence or absence of consent, so you need to define consent in order to classify rape.

"say or convey"? They are not the same thing. If you were a real lawyer, you'd know that. "Convey" means to make known, and if she fails to make a statement with sufficient clarity, she has not made it known, has not "conveyed" it. If you were a real lawyer, you would know the parameters of consent.

Does the word "Maybe" have any relevance? As in "Maybe I shouldn't be doing this", which you conveniently redacted from my comment, in order to shift my words to your words, and then disagree with what you wanted everyone to think I said?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-13-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I could give a guy a BJ until he's close to climax and then refuse to finish. It's selfish, but it doesn't entitle him to abuse me.
So very true - and, you know as well as I, this happens.

Although I have to admit, it is kinda good for billable hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates