Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times

Advertisements

Is there a difference between a racist and a person who makes jokes about stereotypes? I tend to think of racists as people who actively spread hate and descriminate, where as I know people who will make jokes about people using stereotypes but they joke about all races. like they will joke about WT people driving pick-ups an shopping at wallmart, or asians being crap drivers, or a mexican being able to work 50 times harder than us etc etc But they never say it to other people and they never are bothered by being around/being friends with any people of other races so I guess my question is are they racist or not??

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Is there a difference between a racist and a person who makes jokes about stereotypes? I tend to think of racists as people who actively spread hate and descriminate, where as I know people who will make jokes about people using stereotypes but they joke about all races. like they will joke about WT people driving pick-ups an shopping at wallmart, or asians being crap drivers, or a mexican being able to work 50 times harder than us etc etc But they never say it to other people and they never are bothered by being around/being friends with any people of other races so I guess my question is are they racist or not??
Is this all that is to be known about a hypothetical person?

I find that often when something like this comes up, more details are handed out much later or in a continuous cycle.

I mean if someone is making jokes about stereotypes of other people and never say it to other people then nobody knows.

What I really want to say is..........if you have to ask then you already have your answer.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist?
Yes, a few and no they are not Klan.
I dont think sterotyping people is equivalent to being racist.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
I think racism, like anything else, is a spectrum. There is extremely few people who are at either end (totally hateful vs totally color blind). I think most of us are somewhere inbetween, with a tilt towards colorblind. There are alot of people who are "In the closet" on the issue, consciously or subconsciously, but I don't think they're that hard to spot...

Most of us have the spidey sense when someone is hateful. What muddies the waters is people with a political/social agenda who scream racist when you don't agree with them. For example, I've been called a racist on city data becuase:

-I don't believe in gun control
-I believe in lower taxes
-I questioned why we should have big government (This one got me called a Slaveowner)
-I'm not a fan of wealth redistribution

Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is really not very nice to call someone a racist, so why would you be wanting to find a reason to do that? If someone is a racist, I really don't want to know that. And yes, I do see it here on the threads, but it is my opinion also that the real racists are the ones calling someone else a racist. Whether someone is a racists or not is not something I think about on a daily basis. I think a more important question is whether a person is a Christian.
What would being a Christian have to do with it?

But calling someone a racist is not an insult or offensive, how does that make sense? If you say "I think interracial marriages shouldn't be allowed" it's my right to call you a racist because you are one. Being called a racist is not an insult, it's an observation of you as a person. Nobody in their right mind would call me a racist, but there are plenty of people here on CD that would certainly qualify.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
I was called a racist by someone when I said I didn't like rap music. I then pointed out that my dislike for rap included "artists" such as Eminem, while my love of blues included artists such as BB King, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Muddy Waters, and Johnny Lee Hooker (some of these guys are black)....

Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Is this all that is to be known about a hypothetical person?

I find that often when something like this comes up, more details are handed out much later or in a continuous cycle.

I mean if someone is making jokes about stereotypes of other people and never say it to other people then nobody knows.

What I really want to say is..........if you have to ask then you already have your answer.
I never said the person was hypothetical, these are people I know. And the jokes are told to other people, just not people of that race (for obvious reasons). So you're saying joking about stereotypes = racism then?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
What would being a Christian have to do with it?
There will always be people on every board who express the view that Christian dogma trumps logic, reason, and false gods.

I believe there are a thousand gods. That poster seems to know which 999 to reject.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Anybody can be racists, it's all about the open mindedness.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As regards postings here on C-D...I just look for the hatred. It appears that the genuine racists simply cannot disguise it (although they seem to think that they can, by being "clever.") All such attempts fail miserably--they reveal themselves time after time.
LOL so true. They also complain about how they think black people constantly bring up slavery, but these same posters are the ones continuously create threads that bring up the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates