Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,190,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And that's the problem. We take everything and synthesize it. I'll bet in it's natural form cocaine is nowhere near as dangerous. The Incas used to chew the leaves of the plant as a source of energy, and probably didn't have any issues. I'd be willing to bet that synthesizing THC wouldn't be good either.
What's natural and what isn't says nothing about safety. Most people don't smoke "natural" marijuana. Marijuana is cross-bred and raised with the best growing equipment to make strains with high levels of THC. Higher than the THC levels that occur in plants grown with no outside influence. The most potent marijuana (the kind people buy) is not "grown naturally". Some of the most potent yields are the result of synthetic fertilizers, hydroponic systems, and other things that do not occur in nature.

Marijuana is one of the safest drugs, sure, but it is not "natural". I can't think of anyone who would rather pick buds out of the forest than to obtain it from an experienced grower.

There is no difference between synthesized THC and THC obtained from plants besides how the substance was produced. It is the same chemical and will have the same effects on your body/brain. Same applies to every chemical. Morphine is in poppy plants. Not as pure as what you'd get in the hospital, but it is still the same chemical.

For the record, I would say LSD is a lot safer than marijuana (if we're only talking about physical safety as opposed to psychological safety) and it's anything but natural.

Chemicals are chemicals, regardless of where they come from.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:13 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,998,019 times
Didn't read a single post. Not reading 15 pages worth of posts, gotta be on drugs to do that!

To the OP question, the answer is no. Stupid people do stupid things which place them in jail. Plenty of people smoke weed without getting caught. If its not weed, then it will be meth or some other type of drug. I totally consider weed a getaway drug however most usually go back to weed solely. I've smoked weed a few times years ago. All of the people I smoked with other than myself ended up doing coke and popping pills after a year or two.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,042,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Didn't read a single post. Not reading 15 pages worth of posts, gotta be on drugs to do that!

To the OP question, the answer is no. Stupid people do stupid things which place them in jail. Plenty of people smoke weed without getting caught. If its not weed, then it will be meth or some other type of drug. I totally consider weed a getaway drug however most usually go back to weed solely. I've smoked weed a few times years ago. All of the people I smoked with other than myself ended up doing coke and popping pills after a year or two.
So legalize pot and people will move on to other drugs that are illegal, thus maintaining prison overcrowding? That makes no sense.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,457,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So legalize pot and people will move on to other drugs that are illegal, thus maintaining prison overcrowding? That makes no sense.
No, not likely.

Other drugs have much more severe side effects, and addiction concerns.

Generally, the people that want to do those drugs, already are.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

The people in prison or jail via weed tend to do stupid things with or without weed. You do not get sent to prison for weed on a first offense unless you have enough to be considered a dealer. I use to think legalizing weed would make a great difference in the economy and save the government tons for prison cost but it really won't.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,327,108 times
Quote:
. I use to think legalizing weed would make a great difference in the economy and save the government tons for prison cost but it really won't.
You are right!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,042,586 times
Quote:
The people in prison or jail via weed tend to do stupid things with or without weed. You do not get sent to prison for weed on a first offense unless you have enough to be considered a dealer.
You are incorrect. Many states have mandatory minimum sentences for possession of any amount; if convicted the judge has no choice but to send you to jail.

Quote:
I use to think legalizing weed would make a great difference in the economy and save the government tons for prison cost but it really won't.
Another bald assertion.. prove it. I don't think you have facts on your side, though.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You are incorrect. Many states have mandatory minimum sentences for possession of any amount; if convicted the judge has no choice but to send you to jail.

Another bald assertion.. prove it. I don't think you have facts on your side, though.
Do you? Where is your proof? Do you seriously think those people with possession of weed only have weed each and every time they are holding? You seriously think that?

I have plenty of friends in law enforcement and have been on numerous ridealongs. If you get possession for weed that means you were searched. People who get searched are one of the following; look extremely suspicious (riding a bike in night next to a drug area), look like they are high (walking at night with sunglasses on looking at the sky), and/or standing next to the wrong people at the wrong time.

My good buddies brother is a cop. He stopped these two guys. They were holding weed. One started to run away and the other reached down towards his waist as my buddies brother proceeded to shot three shots straight into his chest point blank.

You can believe all the hype about "innocent" potheads minding their own business all you want but that is not the majority. Its not even close. There are more gangster smoking it up than Cheng and Chong. My buddies who get medical marijuana here in the LA area smoke half of it and sell the rest. Medical marijuana has a higher level of TLC compared to street marijuana hence why he is able to do that.

Just about every single pothead I have ever known has done coke, prescription pills, or Ecstasy. I am in the drug capital of the US...maybe the world.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,027,002 times
Quote:

Gee that's funny, because I've smoked weed, and I have NEVER tried, nor wanted to move on to doing coke, meth or popping pills! The fact that weed is a gateway drug is total BS! Not everyone that smokes pot, or has smoked pot wants to experiment with other things.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Gee that's funny, because I've smoked weed, and I have NEVER tried, nor wanted to move on to doing coke, meth or popping pills! The fact that weed is a gateway drug is total BS! Not everyone that smokes pot, or has smoked pot wants to experiment with other things.
Look at you man! Being the exception to the rule. Be proud of yourself.

Jesus, I can't believe how people don't realize there is an exception to every rule on here instead of getting butthurt over a post.

God damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates