Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,515,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is not an argument, I would after all suggest the same of you. Feel free to show actual data that shows that alcohol is a more dangerous substance to the human body than marijuana.

I. HIGHLIGHTS:
Three Doctors Rate the Addictivity of Six Substances
(1.=Most Addictive1)
J. Henningfield, Ph.D.
1. Heroin 2. Alcohol
3. Cocaine
4. Nicotine
5. Marijuana & Caffeine

N. Benowitz, M.D.
1. Heroin
2. Cocaine
3. Alcohol
4. Nicotine
5. Caffeine
6. Marijuana

D. Perrine, Ph.D.
1. Nicotine
2. Alcohol
3. Heroin
4. Cocaine (Nasal)
5. Caffeine
6. Marijuana

August 2, 1994 edition of N.Y. Times, article "Is Nicotine Addictive? It Depends on Whose Criteria You Use," by Philip J. Hilts, section C, page

The Chemistry of Mind-Altering Drugs: History, Pharmacology, and Cultural Context, by Daniel M. Perrine, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Chemistry, Loyola College of Baltimore.

Quote:

About 12,000 inmates are serving time in New York prisons for drug offenses, at a cost of over $500 million a year. It is unclear how many will be eligible to ask for new sentences. But going forward, about 1,200 first-time nonviolent drug offenders and about 1,800 second-time nonviolent drug felony offenders each year would be affected by a change in the law.
Savings to the state have been estimated at $35 million to $45 million annually. Mr. Coppola says the annual cost of a prison bed is about $45,000, compared with $30,000 for a bed in a residential treatment center and $12,000 for outpatient services.
“You’re going to be saving at least $15,000 a bed, or more if they go to outpatient treatment or a combination of outpatient and residential,” he noted.
Overhaul of Rockefeller drug laws fast-tracked - Crain's New York Business

Last edited by nitokenshi; 04-23-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM

240 posts, read 352,765 times
Quote:
And?

Mild Alcohol consumption has a number of health benefits, Marijuana really has none. Chronic use of either substance is about the same health wise. One makes you stupid over time and destroys your lungs, the other destroys your liver and may cause some bowel related problems.

This is hyperbole. But feel free to show actual data that demonstrates it.

In terms of overdoes though, its nearly impossible to overdose on Marijuana. But alcohol is also hard to overdose on too, but its possible.

Yes they are not addicted, which explains why they are willing to risk getting a criminal record just to smoke some pot.

And yet, its not safer from a personal health point of view.

That "poison"? If you are going to equate drugs with poison, then Marijuana would likewise be a "poison".

In terms of calories....well not to state the obvious. But marijuana increases your appetite and also decreases your energy levels. Alcohol on the other hand will decrease your appetite, especially things like a hardy beer.
As a healthcare professional some of the inaccuracies in your post are laughable. Marijuana has no health benefits? I guess every medical professional that has even endorsed its medicinal benefits are quacks huh? Including top mds at harvard. Provide evidence that weed makes you "dumber" or destroys your lungs. Go on..... You do realize that you can ingest marijuana right, or vaporize it and avoid most of the smoke/tar, or that there has never been a single documented case of lung cancer developing from someone that ONLY uses marijuana...right? As for your "knowledge" of the effects of alchohol...you really have no clue how adversly it works on EVERY system of the body do you?

Last edited by fungame; 04-23-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM

240 posts, read 352,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is true, that one alcoholic drink per day will almost certainly increase your natural life by five years, and maybe by 15. This well-researched report is undeniable, and is so thorough, it has not been seriously challenged. However, doctors often do not suggest it to their patients, because a second drink each day un-does the full benefit and could contribute to an earlier death. All of my doctors have personally confirmed this, there is no disagreement.

Marijuana does not appear to have any health benefits for the healthy person, but there many conditions which can be alleviated by the use of marijuana. Also not disputed except by the PR scions of the Bible Belt.

You can severely overdose on marijuana that is baked into brownies, because it can be delivered so much faster then by smoking.
You can't overdose on THC...

Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,515,826 times
The website that I pulled the chart from doesn't allow hotlinking

Here it is again hopefuly it works

Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,958,717 times
I agree with the argument to legalize it. For a government to spend money to prosecute its use when they don't have money is ridiculous. Seriously, I think there has to be bigger fish to fry. You can get high on prescription meds for crying out loud, the government can't control everything and this is one of those things that should be triaged out.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,747,277 times
Quote:
This is not scientifically proven. Long term use of marijuana has been shown to damage the brain in a number of ways. Short-term use can depress mental abilities short-term, but over time the effects appear to wear off.

You appear to think that arguing against alcohol is some how an argument for the legalization of marijuana. But that makes no sense at all.

This is the part where you find any stupid thing to try to justify your view. How do you distinguish between a tobacco related death and a marijuana related death when both can cause the same sort of lung cancer? Oh yeah you can't. And although uncommon there are people that react badly to marijuana. Citing marijuana deaths at "0" is pure propaganda.

Like I said, twice now. You can overdose on alcohol. Its usually related to binge drinking.

But how this relates to the topic of the thread is beyond me.

Yes right, the pot-heads are not addicted at all. Yep. Whats that, a pig flying?

Except damage to the brain. It is a psycho-active drug and effects the brain in numerous ways. Its impossible to consistently take any psycho-active drug long term without it changing the brain.

Unless you take too much of it, in which case it can kill. The reason overdosing from marijuana is so rare is because its so hard to take the amount that would result in a true overdose.

But some of the easiest drugs to overdose on are those used in the medical industry. Why is this being discussed?

Alcoholic drinks have calories, just as orange juice does. Are you against orange juice too? The calories obtained from alcohol are not empty and will reduce the amount you need to eat in the day. Some alcoholic drinks are rather hardy, for example unfiltered wheat beers. In a sense its like liquid bread.

Alcohol is often drunk with food in this culture. It obviously does not depress your appetite before you drink it, as a result mentioning people in restaurants makes no sense. But drink a meal with water vs beer and I guarantee, you'll be more full in the case of beer.

This is just silly. FAR MORE consume alcohol than use heroin, looking at the raw numbers tells you absolutely nothing. You need to look at the number of alcohol related deaths vs heroin deaths as a personage of the people using it.

Seriously? This is your argument? You are trying to argue that alcohol is a worse drug than heroin? I mean really?!??!

Anyhow, all of this is irrelevant to the topic though. Arguing with pot-heads is like arguing with fundamentalists. The belief comes first, the justification second.
you realy got to be kiding me!!!! my bother was a serious alcoholic by the age of 15 and it almost killed him!!! he wen't dry at the age of 22 and is 47 now and has glocoma.. and smokes some bud to releive stress in his eyes he is a productive person in the community...and he has a wife and two kids and the wife is a school teacher.. that smokes some bud now and then and she is a great teacher there kids are smarter than most..and as for me i drank alcohol before i did any other drug...alcohol is the king pin of drugs!!!!! i quit drinking alcohol too and smoke some jamacan bud all the time and i work with high speed saws all the time bandmills table saws chop saws you name it if it has a blade i use it and i still have all my fingers.. if i was drinking alcohol i would not have any hands to work with!!! i would like to ask you do you work for a phamacutical company to be so negetive against marijuana wake up and smell the herbs dude.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
We can also free up prison space by decriminalizing rape and murder. Wow! We're just freein' up space and prison budgets left and right around here!

The plain fact is that the general public is too irresponsible and we as a society cannot afford to legalize any more mind altering substances. A couple of them are out the barn door; let's close it before more horses get out.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM

339 posts, read 708,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
You can't overdose on THC...
You can't? I thought it was relatively common knowledge that you can overdose on anything to include water. As a healthcare professional, I would think you would know that. .....

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,113,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Alcohol is the hardest drug of all. It kills more people every year than heroin does in a decade, when you add up the alcohol-related carnage on the highways, the many ways people kill themselves drinking (liver failure, gunshot to the head, pancreatic cancer), the way it increases violence in the mentally ill and the mentally healthy, the way it's associated with 75% of domestic violence calls, which are the calls police like to answer least because they are so dangerous to everyone involved...

Can you think of a single case of anyone being killed by their ganja smoking? I exclude the gang wars related to illegal drug trafficking. I mean some guy smoking a joint and then beating his wife to death with a hammer. Alcohol makes that happen, ganja does not. That's why alcohol is a hard drug, and ganja is not.
Which drug is more dangerous between alcohol or meth? I've always considered meth to be the most dangerous drug of them all and I've seen what meth has done to people who I've known from the past

Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 AM

16 posts, read 42,721 times
i dont think you should be jailed for a joint,,
it would help jaiols are packed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates