Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I've worked for government and private industry both. The government work was much more difficult, and paid less. Like I said in previous posts, "Thank God for the private sector."
I saw that, probation here. Apparently, its not enough to suck up my entire life.

The copier, folks, is where I draw the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Only one third?

Don't forget their retirement package. Growing up and living in the DC area I have many friends and neighbors who were career fedreal civil servants. All of them are retiring very comfortably in their mid to late fifties. The government invested their retirement funds and didn't spend the money like they did with Social Security. Since the rest of us paid their salary and retirement why do we have to work until 67 or 70 or forever when they have been protected? As far as the line that they're underpaid compared to the private sector - that's complete BS based on my experience.

Yes, "public servants" do better than the rest of us in private industry.
And more people want more government jobs. Who hasn't heard someone say, "Get a job with the government!" like it's a great ride?

The government isn't going to lay them off, in fact, they are going to create more govt jobs to "help the economy" because they can just tax you and me more, print more money, pass more bills for money, you name it.

The government is a giant leech.

There is a huge difference between people I know who work in private industry and those who work in the government. Big difference. Big difference what they complain about. I know people who work for the government who complain they won't as big of a pension as they'd like.

Imagine that.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
As a management consultant before I retired, I saw a lot of companies. Most mangement teams were rather limited in their skills. One of the most surprising things that I saw was the actual productive time of nearly all workers. In almost every company I went to, the company received about 6 hours of productivity for every paid 8 hour day. This is because of: bathroom breaks, staff meetings, hallway conversations, and on and on. In reviewing governmental agencies, the productivity numbers were no worse--no better either.

Interestingly, when government agencies hired private contractors, the numbers were still about the same. The only reason that private contractors were able to complete tasks quicker is that they were hired for specific tasks and had far fewer interruptions. The government workers had to deal with an enormous amount of interruptions caused by the competing constituencies they are required to serve. Neither workers in companies, nor contractors hired by the government, has to deal with that very real, and time consuming issue.
Hmmm, what were YOU producing? Just cutting other workers? Trying to squeeze more out of people?
Why did they need you?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
The whining is killing me. The government people I know and work with have to put in 30 years and be at least 55 to retire. So someone was smart and got a job right out of high school or college and stayed with the government, and they get to retire if they so wish at 55. So what ? They worked all those years, they are entitled to retirement. If you have such heartburn that you don't get the same benefits, get a government job.

What about the people who put themselves in harms way for the safety of the nation, or work hard to protect national security ? Do you begrudge them too of a job and retirement ?

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me.

LOL @ "55 to retire"!!

"Get a government job"...Oh, so it's an easier road, eh?

WE are supporting YOU. WE don't get to retire at 55. You call us whining. If I had my way, your paycheck wouldn't happen tomorrow from my earnings anymore, believe me. Arrogant.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Hmmm, what were YOU producing? Just cutting other workers? Trying to squeeze more out of people?
Why did they need you?

Let me understand your point: If you can't support your (un)founded beliefs, you attack those who can support theirs?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Pssst.....none of those people are federal employees.
I agree, (police, fire, and social workers) those are state employees, big difference!!!

Federal employees are virtually immune from being fired once they have permenant status.

Working for the United States federal goverment is about 10 times better then work for any state agency. The benefits are better, the pay is decent, and its hard to fire you.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
They are not immune. Look at some of the local governments that are eliminating positions....making employees take time off without pay. I work just as hard for the govt as you and yours do at your jobs. I deserve my retirement just as much as you do.
The govt employees at the bottom of the food chain (like me) are suffering.....the higher ups never will....so don't group us all in the same category please.
But we are not talking about state employees. It is very very hard to fire a federal employee once he or she has permenant status. In some agencies this is two years, in others it takes one year.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
But we are not talking about state employees. It is very very hard to fire a federal employee once he or she has permenant status. In some agencies this is two years, in others it takes one year.
I did it. I fired 'em. If they didn't do the work--out the door. In the private sector it took me about 3 months of documentation to be sure that the ex-employee wouldn't win the lawsuit. In the public sector it took six months. I never lost a lawsuit--even though 10 were filed.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Default Oh boo hoooooo.

Quote:
LOL @ "55 to retire"!!

WE are supporting YOU. WE don't get to retire at 55. You call us whining. If I had my way, your paycheck wouldn't happen tomorrow from my earnings anymore, believe me. Arrogant.
Oh please, another whiner. LOL at you, because YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR WAY. My job isn't going anywhere, and I am going to retire in 12 years.

If you have a problem with it, then then don't pay your taxes, see where that gets you, or get yourself a government job..

Last edited by mainegirl; 05-22-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
The government isn't going to lay them off, in fact, they are going to create more govt jobs to "help the economy" because they can just tax you and me more, print more money, pass more bills for money, you name it.
better do some research and pay attention to the news before you post things, your ignorance of the government is almost laughable. Ever hear of BRAC's and RIFS ? Of course not. Well I'll enlighten you. It's been going on for a long time, and you will be happy to know that a LOT of people working hard at military bases protecting people like YOU have lost their jobs. No, it's not only the military members (God bless them) that work to protect national security.

Quote:
The government is a giant leech.
Then leave, and you won't have so much to cry about.

Quote:
There is a huge difference between people I know who work in private industry and those who work in the government. Big difference. Big difference what they complain about. I know people who work for the government who complain they won't as big of a pension as they'd like.

Imagine that.
Oh, boo hoo, your sob story is killing me. Tell your friends and family that work in the private industry to apply for a government job, then they too can complain about their pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates