Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The H2 is just a Tahoe and the H3 a Silverado
They are not military vehicles, unless you want to shell out $100K for an H1.
I'd rather have a Land Rover for off road
No, no - I'm talking HUMMERS. The MILITARY surplus HUMMER. Ones that have been used by the MILITARY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, no - I'm talking HUMMERS. The MILITARY surplus HUMMER. Ones that have been used by the MILITARY.
Those are Humvees or "HMMWV". The H1 "Hummer" is a heavy-duty civilian car based on the Humvee and was made in limited production, AFAIK. The H2 and H3 are two other, less heavy-duty, mass-market vehicles.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Those are Humvees or "HMMWV". The H1 "Hummer" is a heavy-duty civilian car based on the Humvee and was made in limited production, AFAIK. The H2 and H3 are two other, less heavy-duty, mass-market vehicles.
OK. It is the Military versions I'm speaking of.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,292 times
Rather than measuring success by the retail value of someone's car, why not measure in terms of their life-long accomplishments?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM

142 posts, read 205,704 times
In my life, the same people who have been against buying a new car have gone about and bought new, expensive cars themselves. I drive an old beat up piece of crap and it often seems that more people avoid me in it than welcome me, and they certain wouldn't be caught dead in the passenger's seat.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Rather than measuring success by the retail value of someone's car, why not measure in terms of their life-long accomplishments?

Folks with the accomplishments are usually those who driver better, newer cars. Most people aren't out there working for nothing.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
Folks with the accomplishments are usually those who driver better, newer cars. Most people aren't out there working for nothing.
Folks with accomplishments may drive a nicer car. But it is just a nice car. Measuring success by the retail value of your car is lame. Having a nice car is...well, nice. But using it as a statement of personal worth is wrongheaded and ...I just can't think of a better term than "lame." Anyone who measures my success by the car I drive is an idiot.

When I meet a young lady who says something like, "You must be successful you have a nice car." or "I broke up with that guy, he said he is a successful lawyer, but you should see the car he drives." When I hear that kind of crap, I just take her home. About three weeks ago a drop dead georgeous blond started that junk. I had just picked her up to go to dinner--our first date. I took her back home. I just got off the freeway, got back on the freeway going the other direction and took her home. She said, "Where are we going?" I said, "You measure the value of people by their personal possessions. I am taking you home. This date is over." She protested. I didn't care.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:10 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
No, folks with real, substantial accomplishments are the ones you read about in history books who have actually done something for humanity...

I've never looked at a fancy car or a big bank account as anything except economic masturbation. It might feel good, but what good does it do? Parading is not an accomplishment.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I was listening to he Yolanda Adams morning show today while i was running errands. I heard Yolanda say something that got me thinking. She said, "Toyota is a fine car. But what if you bought the Toyota yesterday and got a call from the Mercedes dealership saying your credit was straight and you could get the Mercedes?" That made me think; here was a christian speaker basically saying that you should get a Mercedes if you are blessed enough to afford it. I'm thinking so i'm sinning if i can afford to pay for a Mercedes but choose to stick with my 01 honda accord and use the money i would have to pay for the mercedes for other things such as charity or helping my family or friends out if they fall on hard times?

This aint the only instance where i feel pressure of getting a new car if i have success. My mother and I were having a conversation of what i would do after college. She suggests i buy a new car after graduation. I say i probably own so i can concentrate on paying off college debt. Mom says sometimes its good to reward yourself. I say cant I reward myself by paying off my college debts a couple of years early?

Whenever i see a nice new expensive car i think of a few of things, debt, upkeep, the condition of that person, and security.

- Debt. Whenever i see a Mercedes or BMW, i think how much are the payments running per month? How much is it to insure?

- Upkeep. How much does that car cost to maintain? I've heard of European cars like BMW and Mercedes costing thousands a year to maintain. Its hard enough for me as a college student keeping a 01 Honda accord matained. How is someone making $30k a year gonna maintain a Mercedes?

- Condition of the person. Why did that person buy a BMW or Mercedes? Is it to show off? Is it regional pressure? Is it to give an impression that you've done something great?

- Security. In my neighborhood, upscale cars are vandalized and broken into all the time. Just last week a Lexus SUV got its entire front body stolen off it inside my parking garage. Why would you buying an expensive car if you live in a questionable or bad neighborhood?

I guess it is the materialistic nature of the US. Success is measured in posessions instead of the impact you leave on other people's lives. I think its sad that people will think i'm broke and unsuccessful because i'll see no reason to part with my (hopefully running) 01 honda accord after my college graduation.
Success to me would be a paid off house, fully funded retirement accounts, no debt, and the ability to retire at least 10 years early (at 55) if you wanted to. That is success, and that comes only from diligent management and investment of your money. Most millionaires don't advertise the fact. They live beneath their means and don't give in to impulse buying and "keeping up with the Joneses."

Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, folks with real, substantial accomplishments are the ones you read about in history books who have actually done something for humanity...

I've never looked at a fancy car or a big bank account as anything except economic masturbation. It might feel good, but what good does it do? Parading is not an accomplishment.
Is it really parading? It's just that people might want to buy a nice car to get around. Nothing wrong with that is it? I get it that people should not be judged by the kind of car they drive, but putting people down for it is just as lame. In the long run, cars and fluff aren't any measure of success, but for cryin' out loud people should just stop criticizing folks for taking on a few material things ever so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates