Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
True. but this thread was started by a kid.
Excuse me, a kid? I may not be a sage adult but I thought being age 21 at least took the "kid" label off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Excuse me, a kid? I may not be a sage adult but I thought being age 21 at least took the "kid" label off.
I think what the poster who referred to you as a "kid" was just saying that you are young and many here have lots of life experience to base their opinions on.

I am 43 years old. When I was your age, I saw a lot of people who I worked with, making the same money as I did, driving flashy, expensive cars. I would think to myself, while driving my $500 '78 Buick Regal, " Man, those folks must have some side hustle making a lot of money"

When I actually got to know them, I found out that 90% of those people A: worked a ton of OT to pay for the car and other bills B: Lived with multiple people and did not own their own homes or rent their own apts.Some still lived in their mother's basements. C: Bought high mileage used luxury vehicles that broke down every week or D: Sold drugs on the side.

Experience will teach you that all that glitters is not gold. Or maybe you'll learn by listening to us "old folk"

Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
One of ther funniest Speeders episode was the 20 year old pulled over in his Dad's Hyundai sedan (or Kia I forget which) and when the cop asked him why he was speeding the answer was "I'm going to a party and want to impress the girls with my ride". I thought the cop was gping to lose it right there.

Trying to impress with possessions is just human nature. I have a couple moderately expensive shotguns guys drool over and complain they can't afford them. I bought them because I wanted them and saved up for awhile get them. Also got heckuva deals on them.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Just put it all on my card, and take it out of my Estate, once I kick the bucket.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 AM

142 posts, read 205,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Just put it all on my card, and take it out of my Estate, once I kick the bucket.
Yeah, can't hoard it all and take it all with you, right? Of course some people want to pass down their wealth to their kids.... so that the kids can grow up and blow right through it, of course.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 AM

142 posts, read 205,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I think what the poster who referred to you as a "kid" was just saying that you are young and many here have lots of life experience to base their opinions on.

I am 43 years old. When I was your age, I saw a lot of people who I worked with, making the same money as I did, driving flashy, expensive cars. I would think to myself, while driving my $500 '78 Buick Regal, " Man, those folks must have some side hustle making a lot of money"

When I actually got to know them, I found out that 90% of those people A: worked a ton of OT to pay for the car and other bills B: Lived with multiple people and did not own their own homes or rent their own apts.Some still lived in their mother's basements. C: Bought high mileage used luxury vehicles that broke down every week or D: Sold drugs on the side.

Experience will teach you that all that glitters is not gold. Or maybe you'll learn by listening to us "old folk"
Are these mostly men you're talking about in these situations? I just wonder what most working mothers with kids should be driving? An old unreliable or something with a warranty on it?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
Are these mostly men you're talking about in these situations? I just wonder what most working mothers with kids should be driving? An old unreliable or something with a warranty on it?

That's a good question. I found it was more of the men who would fornt like this, but there were some women who did the same thing as well.

I knew one woman, single mom, who won an insurance settlement. She blew the whole thing on a brand new ( at the time: 1995 I think) Mitsubishi Eclipse, fully kitted.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
Yeah, can't hoard it all and take it all with you, right? Of course some people want to pass down their wealth to their kids.... so that the kids can grow up and blow right through it, of course.
I don't know one person, that was left money, that didn't just blow it on toys. Their Parents should have used it to take vacations or something. Mine left me their name, and some debt. things we don't earn, have little value.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I apologize, I didn't mean an insult. I meant only that you have yet to kicked around by the world, as many of us old f*rts have been.

At the age of 21 you are not a child. I agree, and again I apologize.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Because they are expensive. And to afford them, you generally have to be successful at something. Duh.

You can debate the vacuousness of this standard of measure all you like, but that is why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates