Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times

Advertisements

It's a hard question to answer, it's like asking "How much should I pay for a house"? So much depends on your circumstances. I've heard $2,000 thrown around and that may be fine, but it may be way too much, or it may be an amount that you don't even think twice about. Get her what you want to get her but also consider your means...no need starting a new life together awash in debt. Keep in mind that you should spend what you feel comfortable spending; not what the diamond industry tells you, not what friends and family tell you, and not what you feel is expected from you. Only you can decide. I do agree with the posters that say if the girl is that focused on the cost of the ring then it may be sign of bigger problems.

Best of luck, being engaged is a fun time and hopefully just the beginning of much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
As little as you can get away with, without making her mad. lol If I were getting married I wouldn't want an expensive ring, I'd always be terrified of losing it or of someone mugging me for it. Maybe I'm weird.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
my gf is NOT materialistic (not that i know of) but i WOULD like to know how ladies 'think' about this subject.
Unfortunately, I think that if you ask 20 different women, you'll get 20 different answers.

My engagment ring cost my ex-husband about $15,000, as near as I can figure. I know that after we separated, I had it appraised and it appraised at just under $9,850. It had not been AT ALL what I had wanted or asked for. I'd asked for a band with maybe some small channel set stones that would double as both my engagement ring and my wedding band. He wanted me to have a separate engagement ring. So I showed him one I liked that had a retail price of $1800. His quote, "Oh, honey, I would never buy you a ring like that!" And instead he went and spent thousands of dollars on a 1.25 C, emerald-cut stone, FIF, on a white-gold band with 8 additional diamonds surrounding the center stone. It was lovely -- beautiful. Classic, elegant, and obviously quality. But I'll confess that when I first saw it, my first thought was not "How beautiful!" but rather, "There's the new deck for the house."

At the time that I was getting engaged, I had a female boss who told me that the engagement ring is FAR more about the guy than it is about the girl...that it's a status thing for the guy, because it's a symbol of the guy's success. And I think she might have been right, because there were times right after we got engaged when my husband would say, "Let's go show off your ring."

Sad thing is, after we were married, I didn't wear the engagement ring much. It wasn't that it wasn't beautiful. It was. I loved it. But I'm not much of a ring person, and I was content to simply wear my little $400 wedding band (and which I bought for myself, incidentally).

Is there anyway to get a good feel for what your GF wants or is expecting? Does she wear jewelry a lot? Does she like "the finer things" or does she strike you as being more practical? Maybe an examination of those questions could give you some insight into what your GF would want.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times
The appropriate amount is what you can afford and not the size IMO. Personally, if my husband to be was planning on spending BIG bucks on a ring I would tell him to apply it towards a down payment on a house. Expensive jewelry is not very important to me since I don't wear much anyway but everyone is different. Check out a few rings together to see what she likes and go from there. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Jewlery is lame...

They're all just rocks.
Rocks which people pay outlandish of money...
Rocks which drive people to kill
to steal
etc etc.

All for a freaking rock that doesn't do crap.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
$1

Spend the money on a downpayment on a home or gold/silver/platinum instead. These are tough times and will get tougher. If she's that materialistic -- next!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Well, there is always this angle:

What are the future plans? I mean, does she have a career? If she becomes pregnant will she be a SAHM? When it comes to buying toys will yours always supersede hers? Will you buy her jewelry in the future if she likes that kind of thing?

I'm thinking depending on what the goals are in the future and oh, lets say, possible sacrifices.............you might need to get a big ol' rock. Just cause she might not see anything like that for quite some time.

OTH, the 25 cents ring in the gumball machine can also be acceptable.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
hi,
Given the economy and such, what is "appropriate" to spend on a ring?
I do know that you can spend as little as 450 and as much as 250k on a ring....but as many would agree, the size of the ring doesn't say much other than you have money.

i CAN afford up to 2500 but i'd like to know whether it is worth spending that much on a ring or whether it'd be better to spend about 1000 on a ring and save the rest for....well, other things.

my gf is NOT materialistic (not that i know of) but i WOULD like to know how ladies 'think' about this subject.

thanks.
I think you've bought into the propaganda that says you must buy your fiancee an engagement ring or you're a bad boyfriend. If you need to buy her love and agreement to marry you with a ring, then she doesn't love you.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
hi,
Given the economy and such, what is "appropriate" to spend on a ring?
I do know that you can spend as little as 450 and as much as 250k on a ring....but as many would agree, the size of the ring doesn't say much other than you have money.

i CAN afford up to 2500 but i'd like to know whether it is worth spending that much on a ring or whether it'd be better to spend about 1000 on a ring and save the rest for....well, other things.

thanks.
My advice is for you NOT to buy an engagement ring (yet) ! Not until you have dated at least 2 years (because it takes that long before you both let your guard down and get beyond trying to impress one another) , and, not until you have both gone thru a very intensive PRE-MARITAL formal Course after which time you may decide NOT to get married to this individual. Do this NOW, before moving to the next step of engagement which will cause you a sense of commitment to follow thru on getting married. Have you had sex yet ?? If so, the statistics show that you now have lessened your chance of a successful marriage by another 25% because you didnt wait. So, whats your response on what ive just posted ?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,932 times
Price shouldnt matter, you should give from the heart. I hear stupid things like the ring should be three times what the guy makes in a month or something dumb like that. People should be concerned about the marriager. The ring is just a ring. Just my opinion though. Since your gf isnt materialistic Im sure she wont mind what you get her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates