Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:02 PM

179 posts, read 538,055 times

Advertisements

hi,
Given the economy and such, what is "appropriate" to spend on a ring?
I do know that you can spend as little as 450 and as much as 250k on a ring....but as many would agree, the size of the ring doesn't say much other than you have money.

i CAN afford up to 2500 but i'd like to know whether it is worth spending that much on a ring or whether it'd be better to spend about 1000 on a ring and save the rest for....well, other things.

my gf is NOT materialistic (not that i know of) but i WOULD like to know how ladies 'think' about this subject.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,742,180 times
When the marraige ends she will take it all anyway. So think just how much you want to give her.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM

179 posts, read 538,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
When the marraige ends she will take it all anyway. So think just how much you want to give her.
Thanks.
Anyone else?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,144,873 times
I think that if you have to use a monetary value as a criteria for selecting an engagement ring, you are approaching both the purchase and the marriage from the wrong perspective.

Find a ring that will be pleasing to the eye, is durable, and best fits your feelings. An enduring love shouldn't be guided by carat size or the preciousness of the settings.

Buy what you like and can afford.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM

18,747 posts, read 33,498,936 times
"An appropriate amount" is a scam perpetuated by the diamond people (who, by the way, advertised a diamond into popular marriage culture around 1912. So much for tradition).
This lady wouldn't want an engagement ring. The hell with it. I do like the idea of matching wedding bands that in some way mean something to me and my intended (no one on the horizon now...).
The whole engagement ring thing is part of the Bridezilla industry. No wonder it's a billion-dollar industry.
\Best wishes on your nuptials. Don't let the advertisers hijack you.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,691,961 times
My fiancee gave me a beautiful sapphire and white gold ring that doesn't have any diamonds at all in it. He knows sapphires are my favorite gem, and got me a pink one because he thinks it looks 'cute' on me I don't believe he spent more than $500 on it, which is more than I thought he should spend.

Personally, I would rather have a smaller ring and save up money towards a nice honeymoon, or a down payment for a house. There are many things more important than a piece of jewelry

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,804,940 times
I think the most important thing to consider is her personal tastes. Does she even want a diamond ring? Some women don't. Others do, but want it to be vintage, or don't want a new diamond (you could buy an older one loose and have it set, for example - remember that there are a lot of ways to buy jewelry besides just going into the local jewelry store). Some want another type of stone. Some care about where it was purchased - some women really care if it's from Tiffany's, for example, even if smaller, while I admit that if my ring came from a national mall-based diamond store, for example, it wouldn't have the same level of romance as it did coming from a local jeweler.

Ideally you can get a good sense of what style and size she would like (since she'll presumably be wearing this every day) then go from there. Some people pick them out together, too. The size or cost of the ring has nothing to do with the quality of love in a relationship, and I think most women realize that.

I agree with brightdoglover about the "bridezilla" industry; remember that there's an entire industry out there designed to prey upon your fears for both the engagement and wedding (and then pregnancy, kids, death - basically any life stage where people are stressed, feel pressure and responsibility, and want to do it "right"), so get used now to making your own decisions based on your own needs and wants and not what some outsider in the wedding business tells you is the "right" or "traditional" (most wedding "traditions" are not all that traditional for most people). It starts from the ring and goes on from there, so the ring buying process will be good practice at holding firm to your own vision and budget.

Remember to get insurance on the ring, too; it's pretty cheap, and unfortunately it's not all that uncommon for rings to get lost.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,225,482 times
There's been a lot of upward pressure lately on blood diamonds.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,029,601 times
i'd say aim for vintage estate rings...they're usually less expensive and a better overall value, plus there's no likelihood of current blood diamond issues.
I didn't want the ring so much but it is nice to have something...besides the $$$$$ leftover from the "appropriate" amount we put toward remodeling our first house...which was money better spent, that way we could both enjoy it!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,369,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that if you have to use a monetary value as a criteria for selecting an engagement ring, you are approaching both the purchase and the marriage from the wrong perspective.

Find a ring that will be pleasing to the eye, is durable, and best fits your feelings. An enduring love shouldn't be guided by carat size or the preciousness of the settings.

Buy what you like and can afford.
agreed, sort of. . . .as another poster mentioned, the "engagement ring" industry (and it is, indeed, an industry) was created by diamond sellers to enhance their sales. Nevertheless, an engagement ring is a lovely symbol, and it doesn't have to be a diamond, or even a precious gem. What does she like?. .. Does she have a favorite gemstone?. . . does she like white or yellow gold, or some other metal? Would she appreciate a family antique much more than a pricey new stone? What about a handmade, one of a kind, artpiece ring? There are many choices out there, and even if you want to "surprise" her, perhaps it would be well not to "shock" her. . . take her window shopping to a place where a variety of rings in different styles and in different materials are available. . . find out what she likes. . . you may be pleasantly surprised that "monetary value" is not her main objective, or you may be surprised if it is. . . good to know before you marry, anyhow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates