Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep, that 'hayseed' wouldn't be so stupid anymore. And, that MBA wouldn't be of any further use, save that of TP.
just imagine in the good oll usa when the power go's off for just a few days people start complaining and whining.. the poor people live without power and runing water and dont complain...and the poor don't have fema to interviene!!! i just can't imagine what americans would do without sell phones and computers...i wonder if they could use a lap top for a plow and a cell phone for a shovel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
just imagine in the good oll usa when the power go's off for just a few days people start complaining and whining.. the poor people live without power and runing water and dont complain...and the poor don't have fema to interviene!!! i just can't imagine what americans would do without sell phones and computers...i wonder if they could use a lap top for a plow and a cell phone for a shovel
Well, I'm sure it wouldn't be a pretty sight. Although I do think a cell phone would be of more value to most folks if used as a shovel. They sure would find themselves with a lot more free time on their hands. (but that's the topic for another thread)

But, seriously, I've thought about this scenario a lot. What if? I think the nation would become nothing short of hell on earth in that situation. I don't see any cooperation happening. It would be just chaos. A Mad Max sort of thing. It's just that those 'stupid' folks would have a bit of advantage--at least the rural 'stupid' folks.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am poor, and have been my whole life. I would admit that I do fit into the lazy, and unskilled catergory. However, I am not stupid. I also have abstained from sex my whole life because I knew I could never support a child. I also do feel that sterilization of the poor is a good thing. If you can not afford to take care of yourself, you have no business having kids IMO.
I distinguish between working poor and welfare poor. I wouldn't sterilize the working poor because by working, they can become unpoor but the welfare poor now a basically being paid to breed and that's a very very bad idea.

I think in order to get on welfare programs, the welfare recipient should agree to be sterilized. I think for example the drug addicts and insane should be encouraged, maybe with a cash payment to be sterilized so we don't see babies being eaten alive by their own mothers like was recently in the news.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I distinguish between working poor and welfare poor. I wouldn't sterilize the working poor because by working, they can become unpoor but the welfare poor now a basically being paid to breed and that's a very very bad idea.

The working poor, if they can't make any more than that by applying their skills and talents and intellect, do not have much to pass along genetically. But the welfare poor are at least smart enough to figure out how to live in welfare. So sterilize the working poor, so they don't reproduce more like them. Encourage the welfare poor to produce more creative and resourceful children.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
So now everyone should be a farmer because there is a chance they would need the skill? What a ridiculous statement.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The working poor, if they can't make any more than that by applying their skills and talents and intellect, do not have much to pass along genetically. But the welfare poor are at least smart enough to figure out how to live in welfare. So sterilize the working poor, so they don't reproduce more like them. Encourage the welfare poor to produce more creative and resourceful children.
Had this been in effect in the late '40s, we might have been spared Wm. J. Clinton.

Whether one looks upon that as a good or bad thing is another topic.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Had this been in effect in the late '40s, we might have been spared Wm. J. Clinton.

Whether one looks upon that as a good or bad thing is another topic.
Bill Clinton's father was a traveling salesman. The kind of man adulated by America---possessing sufficient guile to recognize that there is a fool born every minute, to be soon parted from his money. An American hero.

Today, Clinton's father would have worn seat belts, and mother, a student in nurses training, would have aborted the little thing. The couple would have borne another genius later. It is said,, for example, that Dwight Eisenhower's brother Milton was smarter and would have been a better president. And there are the Kennedys, and, umm, Biilly Carter.

Bush, though, proved that maybe it would be wise to sterilize presidents.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-02-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So now everyone should be a farmer because there is a chance they would need the skill? What a ridiculous statement.

some people lack sense of humer it's not my fault

can i get the four wheel drive humer or does it only come in two

Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I teach in the south Bronx, the poorest section of NYC. I've seen some very sad stories from the different families. Most of them are very hard-working and barely get by in their rat infested apartment. I admire those people. They do whatever they can to move to a nicer apartment/area, but sometimes it's difficult and doesn't work out. They have a really positive outlook on life and aren't depressed despite being stuck. But then I've had some parents who I swear had a child just so they could receive more welfare and not have to work. But that isn't too often.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
Some are very qualified or lack a piece of paper to state their supposed ability. They had the chance to learn a trade. Others have never had the chance or lacked the staminia to stay with a job to learn the trade or had the mindset or money to go to a place of higher learning to get to that position in life.
And some are just lazy and expect the government tit to support them for life, as it has their parents and maybe grandparents got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates