Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I liked your post and gave you a rep.

Though the thing that I disagree with is the your justification of their continued poverty by saying they are not lazy but uninfo.rmed Being uninformed is being lazy because there are so many ways that people can get the skills, training and knowledge to be successful today, but most people like this do not have the initiative to get the information and use it.

You really need to remember what you've said, Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 04:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Again, loans mean you're taking on a debt load before even knowing that you'll earn enough to repay it. Loans=bad.
But you SHOULD know you can repay it. Go into college with a plan. If you major in english and just hope you will find a job you might never pay back your loans. If you go in majoring in Engineering, Computer Science, whatever you are pretty much guaranteed a good salary.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
No thanks for your welcome mate it was a nice "brief" visit here, but I think I have higher aspirations than to become a fellow loser in this cesspit of whining bores.
I wouldn't take this thread to seriously, read the OP's thread history.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:14 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Sure, poor people can be guilty of any of the ones you listed. However, so can rich people who inherited stuff. It is only that you can't tell because they live off of family money and poor people don't have anyone to live off of. So, is it the individual person or just the circumstances that makes someone less than ambitious?

Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Sure, poor people can be guilty of any of the ones you listed. However, so can rich people who inherited stuff. It is only that you can't tell because they live off of family money and poor people don't have anyone to live off of. So, is it the individual person or just the circumstances that makes someone less than ambitious?
Yes, but a person who lives off inherited wealth isn't really my problem as a taxpayer.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Some friends were over at the house the other day and we were talking about the underclass (poor people). One of them works for social services and has got harsher in her tone about the disadvantaged as she has experienced more of the so called real people. She says, "it almost makes you want to vote republican"

The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the underclass (poor people) are a combination of lazy, stupid or unskilled. It was mostly their fault not society or business (employers). 20-30 years ago one could be a lazy uneducated person and do alright because there were plenty of jobs for everyone in manufacturing and strong unions, today, if you have no skills you will be poor forever. Agree?

Generational poverty has created a permanent underclass; it's not their fault. There's nothing they can do to change it. Because they were raised in generational poverty, by parents also raised in generational poverty, they were not spoken to or stimulated during key periods of cognitive development, so they did not develop as many brain synapses.
Studies have been done that show that by the time they start kindergarten, children raised in generational poverty have been exposed to about 5000 words (many of them negative or inappropriate), whereas children from affluent backgrounds have been exposed to up to six times that many.
The children of the poor are also frequently exposed, in infancy and early childhood, to a variety of environmental toxins which affect both physical health and brain development. The inner cities are where our society dumps a lot of its toxins.

And as soon as they get into "the system"- usually when they begin school- they begin to face systematic discrimination.

They don't really have a chance.
In order to pull themselves out of generational poverty, they would have to be extraordinarily gifted; one in a million.
Whereas, in order to be successful in life, a middle-class person would only need to be average, and a person from an affluent, privileged background would have to really try spectacularly hard to fail.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
While the unemployment rate for college educated people is near a record high, it is still only about four percent and one third of the rate for people who just have a high school diploma.

I find the responses so far to be excellent I gave some reps.
Thats another fairy-tale. Temporary work, contracting and odd jobs mask the true extent of the problem. My nephew graduated from an expensive school ($48K a year) with excellent grades and now works half day in a bike shop and is bar-tending in the evenings. No, he isn't unemployed. Since I have kids in college I know many of their friends. Only one (mechanical engineering graduate) landed a real job in the field (salary, benefits) at westinghouse. Most others are disoriented.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But you SHOULD know you can repay it. Go into college with a plan. If you major in english and just hope you will find a job you might never pay back your loans. If you go in majoring in Engineering, Computer Science, whatever you are pretty much guaranteed a good salary.
Assuming you managed to get hired for those positions. You can apply as many times as you'd like, there's no guarantee anyone will GIVE you a job--even if you THINK you've earned it.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm sorry about that. But if there's a will, there's a way. There were long weeks when I lived off bologna and ramen noodles, because I wanted a college degree.
I don't eat bologna, but I live off ramen noodles now. Bologna's too expensive.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but a person who lives off inherited wealth isn't really my problem as a taxpayer.
I totally understand what you are saying. I work with someone who makes the same money as I do. However, her husband is here illegally, currently has no work and they have 5 kids.

She gets food stamps, free medical, WIC, approved for Section 8 housing and some charity group pays her utility bill. Other charities provide her kids clothing for school and all their school supplies. They get free Christmas gifts and all sort of holiday supplies/food.

Sure, it could annoy the hell out of me. But.....that is her life and I only have to answer for the life that I have to live. I refuse to let my own life get cluttered all up and lose peace due to hard feelings and discontentment because it appears she is getting more than me.

I just don't care. Again, I WANT to care......but it isn't worth it. I just thank my own God that I can provide for my own self and my own family without handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates