Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Many poor people are that way because they have been exploded by people that got rich by keeping them poor. Many towns have sort of a captive population that can't afford to move, couldn't afford an education - no fault of their own as the jobs are low paying. Yes, some people are lazy, not so bright - but you can be not so bright and still not be poor - check out your favorite actors/actresses and some of the political people - they have money and are obviously not so bright. Right now is the worst time that I have seen and so many people are struggling and doing what they have to hanging on and hoping better days are ahead but knowing they may not be.
I agree, but those people should get sterilized and not have children because there is virtually no chance of their children doing better than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Generational poverty has created a permanent underclass; it's not their fault. There's nothing they can do to change it. Because they were raised in generational poverty, by parents also raised in generational poverty, they were not spoken to or stimulated during key periods of cognitive development, so they did not develop as many brain synapses.
Studies have been done that show that by the time they start kindergarten, children raised in generational poverty have been exposed to about 5000 words (many of them negative or inappropriate), whereas children from affluent backgrounds have been exposed to up to six times that many.
The children of the poor are also frequently exposed, in infancy and early childhood, to a variety of environmental toxins which affect both physical health and brain development. The inner cities are where our society dumps a lot of its toxins.

And as soon as they get into "the system"- usually when they begin school- they begin to face systematic discrimination.

They don't really have a chance.
In order to pull themselves out of generational poverty, they would have to be extraordinarily gifted; one in a million.
Whereas, in order to be successful in life, a middle-class person would only need to be average, and a person from an affluent, privileged background would have to really try spectacularly hard to fail.
I agree 100%, and that is why, as sad as it may sound on the surface, all underclass and working-class people should be sterilized (NOT forced to, they should do it on their own accord). As this poster has stated very well, there is just no room for them to succeed .

Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't know about that. From what I've seen in the smaller town where I grew up, the underclass is still the underclass, with a few exceptions. Income mobility has been declining in the US over time.
This person is very wise and has made a very good point.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I am poor, and have been my whole life. I would admit that I do fit into the lazy, and unskilled catergory. However, I am not stupid. I also have abstained from sex my whole life because I knew I could never support a child. I also do feel that sterilization of the poor is a good thing. If you can not afford to take care of yourself, you have no business having kids IMO.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I agree 100%, and that is why, as sad as it may sound on the surface, all underclass and working-class people should be sterilized (NOT forced to, they should do it on their own accord). As this poster has stated very well, there is just no room for them to succeed .
Jeebus, I think you are going a bit far there. The entire class system is based on relativity. If the current underclass doesn't reproduce, guess who will be the underclass of the future? The current middle class.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Well it seems Paris Hilton, Phil Spector, Latoya Jackson, Coby Bryant, William Kennedy Smith, and a host of others would not support your inference that the poor hold the patent on stupidity. Many people have unfortunate events or circumstances, or just poor choices in their lives, some come from a background that can keep them from living under a bridge. While there are stupid Poor people, there are equally stupid rich ones. Your personal prejudices seem to turn off realistice perspectives of people in your social status.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A little off-topic... but I'll bet that one of these stupid backwoods smucks, who make next to nothing, living way back in the sticks somewhere, would suddenly have a skill set far superior to and more useful than most of ours if something really, really catastrophic happened in this country (on a national level). Suddenly, they wouldn’t be considered such morons anymore.
yes i've discused that subject with my brother it's so true....in an all out catastrophe the people that are used to living off of the land will survive. and the city, suburb dwellers will parish!!!! and the meek shall inherit the earth.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
So let's see, we are now okay with medically altering people based simply on their propensity to fit into our runaway materialistic society and on their net worth. Basically, if they haven’t a certain amount of net worth, they are of no worth as a human being. What’s your next step? Round them all up and send them to big, barbed-wire-enclosed camps with big ovens?

What should be the cutoff point for our death camps? $20,000 a year? Anyone making less than that must be subhuman, right? They couldn’t possibly be of any worth. Or should we raise it to $30,000? Surely anyone with the IQ of an earwig ought to be able to manage that. Do I hear $50,000? That would eliminate quite a lot of worthless riffraff. Let’s just make it an even $100,000. You make any less than that, you are deemed worthless, taken to the camps, perhaps loose a few body parts to keep those with a respectable net worth alive, and then incinerated (after some painful and useless medical experimentation, of course).

Sound good?

Or perhaps we could use the poor as human sacrifices to our God, the Almighty Dollar.

Oh, but wait!!! Where the hell is your cheap slave labor going to come from if there are no slaves left? You tell me how an army with 8 billion generals and no soldiers is going to function?

One last thought: By your edict, many of the greatest minds of human history would never have been born. Now that wouldn’t be very smart, would it?

And one more last thought: Have you ever thought that perhaps some of those folks who are not mega-rich aren't really stupid? That perhaps they just don't give a s**t about money? I know that's hard to fathom here in the good ol' USA, but for some people, life is not all about money.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:48 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
yes i've discused that subject with my brother it's so true....in an all out catastrophe the people that are used to living off of the land will survive. and the city, suburb dwellers will parish!!!! and the meek shall inherit the earth.
Yep, that 'hayseed' wouldn't be so stupid anymore. And, that MBA wouldn't be of any further use, save that of TP.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I agree, but those people should get sterilized and not have children because there is virtually no chance of their children doing better than they are.
That may be partly true with respect to stupid, possibly a learned attribute for the lazy, but completely without foundation regrding the unskilled.

Skill is mostly learned, and remains absent in people according to circumstance, not genetic capacity. It is not uncommon for very dull people to master exceptional skills, as the NBA demonstrates lucidly. Laziness is more often encountered among the intelligent, who endeavor to get by on their wits, rather than the stupid, who must work hard to make the most meager of livings. Most of the stupid are functionally educable, and can become productive if a positive environment is fostered.

People who are unable or unwilling to observe this simple and commonplace characteristic of our culture should get sterilized, because there is no chance that they will not teach their children the same non-constructive fallacies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates