Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times

Advertisements

Is it genetic , an accident of the environment we live in, brought on by our nutrition, is it suppose to happen, or does it have to do with something else?

Is Aging an Accident of Evolution? -A Galaxy Classic

then there are strange disorders like these where people do not age..
Girl Who Does Not Age, Brooke Greenberg Baffles Doctors - ABC News

YouTube - Mulher BEBÊ de 29 anos Programa do Ratinho

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:33 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Don't know the answer to your question, but is this for real? If it is, the 16 year old toddler is pretty wild!

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-24-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
The reason why WE or anything ages...is due specifically to the Second Law of Thermodynamics which is an established scientific absolute law which affects everything in our finite Universe. Simply stated, everything in the Universe is running down ...or...going from a state of higher order to one of lesser order. Theres no stopping it . As for human aging, you can do your best to slow it down thru good nutrition, excercise, low stress lifestyle, rest, botox treatments, facelifts, drinking red wine, et al, ad nauseum....but in the final analysis , we all age to the point where our Bodies give out (unless a disease or accident claims us beforehand) . By the way...you interjected 'Evolution' in your OP ; if you are referring to MACRO-evolution (Pond Scum to 206 bone human being)...then this outdated Theory flies in the face of the Second Law of Thermodynamics because the outdated Theory supposes the exact opposite of the Second Law has occured.. that is, going from lower order to far greater order. This of course is highly incorrect and without a shred of scientific evidence to support the Philosophy ; not even popular Evolutionists themselves give credence to the fallacy (See : http://www.anointed-one.net/quotes.html). The only reason it is still promoted is because the only alternative (special Creation by a personal Theistic Creator) must never be entertained. So much for objective science.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:17 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
The reason why WE or anything ages...is due specifically to the Second Law of Thermodynamics which is an established scientific absolute law which affects everything in our finite Universe. Simply stated, everything in the Universe is running down ...or...going from a state of higher order to one of lesser order. Theres no stopping it . As for human aging, you can do your best to slow it down thru good nutrition, excercise, low stress lifestyle, rest, botox treatments, facelifts, drinking red wine, et al, ad nauseum....but in the final analysis , we all age to the point where our Bodies give out (unless a disease or accident claims us beforehand) . By the way...you interjected 'Evolution' in your OP ; if you are referring to MACRO-evolution (Pond Scum to 206 bone human being)...then this outdated Theory flies in the face of the Second Law of Thermodynamics because the outdated Theory supposes the exact opposite of the Second Law has occured.. that is, going from lower order to far greater order. This of course is highly incorrect and without a shred of scientific evidence to support the Philosophy ; not even popular Evolutionists themselves give credence to the fallacy (See : http://www.anointed-one.net/quotes.html). The only reason it is still promoted is because the only alternative (special Creation by a personal Theistic Creator) must never be entertained. So much for objective science.
Interesting theory, while I agree we all have a lifespan and there is no such thing as immortality , all though we have yet to find out exactly how long a human can possibly live, I am not sure we are meant to age the way we do. Some people do not experience wrinkles and maintain a youthful appearance with out any plastic surgery while others like red heads are prone to aging quickly. Children hit puberty faster because of the food they eat. Senior citizens experience things like bone loss because of lack of activity and alzheimers because they do not exercise their mind.

In my opinion there is no reason why we shouldn't look and feel like we are in our 20s while we are 80 and I think aging is a flaw brought on by genetics and our own doing that can be cured.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I recall reading an article about 15 years ago stating that the life expectancy of humans in (I think) 2025 or thereabouts would be 125 years. I don't remember if that applied to those BORN in 2025, those turning 125, or if it just didn't say.

My (late) wife and I talked about it, wondering if we could make it to 125. We were both very happy with life and enjoying every minute of it, and we were both in very good (apparent) health, so it sounded feasible. She died the following year at age 51. And now I ache too much just climbing out of bed in the morning to even want to live that long. I feel like I'm winding tighter in that giant vortex that sucks us all to our next great adventure -- dust in the wind. Faster and faster I spin.... Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's been one hell-of-a-ride, and we're picking up speed!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 PM

228 posts, read 555,075 times
Great topic.

I've actually done a little research on this topic in my past. I hope I can offer interesting insight.

Essentially, biological aging refers to the gradual loss of functional cells.

Why, then, do we lose functional cells?
We produce Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) that apply oxidative stress to our cells and DNA, leading to the oxidative damage of our cells and DNA, leading to the death and removal of these oxidatively damaged cells and DNA.

Damaged cells and DNA need to be killed and removed because they serve as potential sources for mutation and cancer and therefore must not be allowed to exist and divide.

Why, then, do we produce ROS if it damages our cells and DNA?
An evolutionary theory exists that says natural selection favors those genes and biological processes that promote the survival of an organism to reproductive maturity, even if those genes or processes have unselected harmful effects late in life. In other words, natural selection favors immediate survival at a cost to maintenance.

ROS are by-products of energy production during aerobic metabolism.
Energy production via aerobic metabolism, although a source of these harmful ROS, is necessary for optimal functioning in the immediate.

In short
Natural biological aging, then, can be thought of as an evolutionary consequence of living efficient/productive reproductive years

In addition to natural biological aging via "internal" sources of ROS,
we also experience unnatural biological aging via "external" sources of ROS, such as UV radiation, tobacco smoke, pollutants in the atmosphere.

Depending on how often and how strongly we are exposed to these "external" sources of ROS, we can speed-up the natural biological aging process by increasing ROS levels in our bodies.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 AM
ako

140 posts, read 337,657 times
Wow that article is incredible.

Good thread, I have to come back later.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The only way I know of the live forever is to write, build or do something significant. We will never forget Julius Caesar, Michelangelo or Mao Tst Tsung. They, among an army of others, will be remembered forever and thus will be immortal.

The rest of us will just die and fade out of memory after three or less generations.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only way I know of the live forever is to write, build or do something significant. We will never forget Julius Caesar, Michelangelo or Mao Tst Tsung. They, among an army of others, will be remembered forever and thus will be immortal.

The rest of us will just die and fade out of memory after three or less generations.

Seems jaded, cynical...and elitist. Anyone who raises a few good, decent children will always be remembered by many. Who knows which one of them will become "socially significant" in a future generation?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:24 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I do not think we are intended to ~ or could ~ live "forever", simply because the earth couldn't even begin to contain immortals. And I don't know why anyone would even WANT to live forever, aging or not. Don't like the idea one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates