Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times

Advertisements

It depends on where in the world you grow up. Some parts of the world people are born to fight and taught to hate.

I believe the American people want peace. I know for a fact your American govt does not want peace. And of course whatever they say goes, the American people have no say at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Personally, I don't believe in peace. That's not to say I support war and destruction, so much as when I make my way through the world, I don't really believe we as a species really want "peace" deep down. There is so much deeply buried passive-agression in so many people that I truly believe man wants war, we want to have an "enemy" and we want to be "victors". Weither it's a foriegn country, or the store clerk who messed up our change, we love and are addicted to drama.

Do you believe man's nature is one of peace? Or do you believe man will always have a need and craving for violence?
They will when the voice of the people are allowed and counted.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It depends on where in the world you grow up. Some parts of the world people are born to fight and taught to hate.

I believe the American people want peace. I know for a fact your American govt does not want peace. And of course whatever they say goes, the American people have no say at all.
Exactly the opposite it true. The American people are the only people in your lifetime who have, in a free election, voted to go to war. The American government went to war in a distant land without provocation, and a mjaority of the American people re-elected the president who took us to war.

There is no other country in the world whose government is freely elected, which has chosen, without provocation or bribery to go to war in your lifetime.

The American people are the only people in the world who believe, in their electoral majority, that going to war is in their own best interests. The reason they believe that, of course, is the heavy load of government, corporate and media propaganda, but nevertheless, that is what they believe.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Exactly the opposite it true. The American people are the only people in your lifetime who have, in a free election, voted to go to war. The American government went to war in a distant land without provocation, and a mjaority of the American people re-elected the president who took us to war.

There is no other country in the world whose government is freely elected, which has chosen, without provocation to go to war in your lifetime.

The American people are the only people in the world who believe, in their electoral majority, that going to war is in their own best interests. The reason they believe that, of course, is the heavy load of government, corporate and media propaganda, but nevertheless, that is what they believe.
That's a very narrow train of thought. You think you can have peace without war? It's not gonna happen. You'll also never have a crime free area without locking people up or making them pay for their crimes.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's a very narrow train of thought. You think you can have peace without war? It's not gonna happen. You'll also never have a crime free area without locking people up or making them pay for their crimes.
First, explain why you can never have peace without war. Just saying it does not make it true. More than half the nations on earth have never gone to war once in the entire history of their nationhood. So how did they achieve peace without war?

Second, what does your crime reference have to do with the topic? Is that your way of proving that mankind doesn't really want safe streets, either?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Personally, I don't believe in peace. That's not to say I support war and destruction, so much as when I make my way through the world, I don't really believe we as a species really want "peace" deep down. There is so much deeply buried passive-agression in so many people that I truly believe man wants war, we want to have an "enemy" and we want to be "victors". Weither it's a foriegn country, or the store clerk who messed up our change, we love and are addicted to drama.

Do you believe man's nature is one of peace? Or do you believe man will always have a need and craving for violence?
I think we do believe in peace. To me some of the obstacles to that peace is how people believe how they want to live life. Some feel about to the point that if it does not suit their preference, they are willing to deny somebody else their rights to live their life as they want it to the point of even going to war over it.

Another reason people do not pursue peace to the point I believe we should is resources. Often we pursue self preservation to the point of not even wanting to share them. This create problems too.

Another reason, ironically, how to believe in God. People have been so willing to go to war for this same reason.

Another one is power. At any level many people want power and sacrifice peace to obtain the type of peace they want.

Another one is greed.

These are some of the reasons that even though we want peace, we do not want it that much if it interfere with how we deal with some of the points above.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
I disagree when you say you do not want peace. I believe you do. You just want peace your way. Once you obtain whatever you want how you want it, that is your peace and expect everybody else to leave you alone. At that point you may even leave people alone also since you got what you want. In other words you want peace as long as no one interfere with your desires and your life.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 07-01-2009, 11:52 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
I want peas, but not the frozen kind, they are awful.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
I think that its about a piece not peace. All wars are about the world's scarce resources. If you dig deep enugh you will find the bottom line.

I recognize that there are people that cannot exist without a crisis. I work with someone who is like that. I know others that are attention wh#$%.

I think we live in a society where we have to spend our time trying not to get taken. We live in a society where it seems as if everyone and everything is for sale. So, many people don't need drama but as in the case of getting your change back, there is a need to make it clear that they are not ripping you off and if it happens to be a true accident then they are not paying attention.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, mankind definitely wants peace. But government and corporate industry do not. Guess who gets what they want?

I have a very simple answer to this question:

WAR PROFITEERING.

War is not a universal constant that exists to placate the masses and their insatiable desire to kill. It is a construct of a tiny few ultra-powerful entities that have already selfishly grabbed all they can from their own countrymen, and have now set thier sights on the wealth of others. They don't mind killing, if that's what it takes to get it.

Most of the countries in the world have never been to war during the lifetime of their inhabitants. That suggests to me that those inhabitants prefer peace, because they could so easily have gone to war if they had wanted to.

In fact, there are even a few Americans who do not desire to be in a state of constant and perpetual warfare, in spite of their systematic indoctrination about the glory of war as school children. (Bombs bursting in air, blah blah blah.)
Typical uninformed kneejerk response from you.

There's only one way a people want peace: As long as their group enjoys dominance over other groups, whether the group they identify with is a nation, a religion, or an ideology.

After all, not much war profiteering to be had in the Sudan, yet the government continues to indulge in a genocidal war against its own people.

Americans didn't make any money in the former Yugoslavia either. The Bosnians and the Serbs simply opened their armories and began slaughtering one another. Same thing is true in Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Congo, Burma, East Timor, Fiji and untold dozens of other little brushfire wars. Yet in virtually all of those conflicts, the United States had little stake or influence. Not exactly good support for the war profiteering argument you forward.

Nope. Nietzsche, Carlisle, and Gobineau were right. War is the natural state of mankind, sad to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates