Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,642 times

Advertisements

Humanity is still trying to figure a) who they are. b) what they want.

Still chaotic at the moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Mankind doesn't want anything.
Individuals or groups though, that's a different story. In general, I believe most people prefer peace, but on their terms. Peace means a different thing for each person/ group. Most folks I know of, will not resort to violence if they can achieve their goals otherwise, but there are deranged people who simply enjoy violence.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Mankind doesn't want anything.
Individuals or groups though, that's a different story. In general, I believe most people prefer peace, but on their terms. Peace means a different thing for each person/ group. Most folks I know of, will not resort to violence if they can achieve their goals otherwise, but there are deranged people who simply enjoy violence.
Is that not a way of just saying that Mankind DOES want peace, but from time time time is required to forego the desired peace, in order to react defensively to a "deranged" person who violates the peace?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Humanity and society has some universal standards and expression, but sometimes it can almost seem that so many people can act so different from each other based on lifestyle, perception, behavior, opinions about certain topics, and life paths. That can happen to the extent where it seems like they are different species within the species of humanity.

I think humanity and society’s nature can be one of peace.

I don’t understand why someone would actually be looking for excessive conflict and violence. That seems so backwards, unnecessary, and destructive for society.

There are a lot of people that strive to bring peace into their lives and for their relations with other people.

Unfortunately, simultaneously there are some people that act the opposite and seem to bring extra conflict, lack of stability, and destruction into their lives and for their relations with other people. They can seem like a different species compared to the other people.

It is best for society to have a higher percentage of people looking for peace and actively attempting to achieve peace, and for a lower percentage of people looking for too much conflict/lack of peace. This needs to be more evenly distributed throughout all locations in the world, instead of just being scattered in some selected locations.

Last edited by ; 05-27-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Personally, I don't believe in peace. That's not to say I support war and destruction, so much as when I make my way through the world, I don't really believe we as a species really want "peace" deep down. There is so much deeply buried passive-agression in so many people that I truly believe man wants war, we want to have an "enemy" and we want to be "victors". Weither it's a foriegn country, or the store clerk who messed up our change, we love and are addicted to drama.

Do you believe man's nature is one of peace? Or do you believe man will always have a need and craving for violence?
No, I don't believe we want, nor do I believe we shall ever live in, peace. As a species we want things, and sometimes other people have the things we want so we will fight over it. I don't celebrate war or death but they are the nature of life. People say we shouldn't fight over things like oil, yet they demand a modern day existence. Oil is the lifeblood of our way of life without it we'd be bent over a barrel. Until we find an alternative source of power fighting over oil will be a necessary evil.

Even if the vast majority of nations and people wanted peace, all it takes is one or two rogue nations to shatter that dream.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
My view is that conflict is just hard-wired into us and is part of the very fabric of this Universe. Look at nature, tooth, nail and claw and all that. We can't even live in peace among our families and loved ones, how do we expect to live in peace with strangers, especially when we conjure up reasons to hate them, or think we deserve things more than they do. Why do we deserve a first world quality of life living in the US or Australia while they have to stay in their third-world hellhole? Because our ancestors came here earlier? Look at the popularity of those reality TV series' that glorify drama...

Peace is a nebulous concept like freedom...What is peace? Freedom from war? Freedom from ANY conflict? One has to change to stay the same and that means revolution and sometimes the clashing of ideas. I believe we can live in 'practical' peace, but we have to make actual goals instead of constantly jabbering on about ideals like 'peace'.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I think that its about a piece not peace. All wars are about the world's scarce resources. If you dig deep enugh you will find the bottom line.

I recognize that there are people that cannot exist without a crisis. I work with someone who is like that. I know others that are attention wh#$%.

I think we live in a society where we have to spend our time trying not to get taken. We live in a society where it seems as if everyone and everything is for sale. So, many people don't need drama but as in the case of getting your change back, there is a need to make it clear that they are not ripping you off and if it happens to be a true accident then they are not paying attention.
You are wise and perceptive to make the connection between our love for drama and world peace. War is in a way an extension of the conflict between two people, or even the conflict within ourselves. Remember this: ALL of us originated from a molecule, thinner than a baby's eyelash. Humanity and all Life is closer than you and I can possibly imagine: in fact it is closer than close, it is One. Until we recognise the Oneness of humanity, and seek not to divide and conquer (other than perhaps constructive 'pruning' of truly toxic elements) we shall never know true peace.

And besides, peace is boring. Who wants to watch friggin Care Bears or My Little Pony? If humans truly craved peace even SPORTS would be unpopular as competition is the root of conflict.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
man has been fighting since day one.
do remember the romans and all the fighting that went on back in the days of Jesus.

the mid east, they still walk around with sheets on them, live in dirt, but have weapons of mass destruction.

yeah, man wants peace, yeah right....

and were still fighting till this day, now we have to wrry about Yemen....Yemen??/ can you imagine a 7th world country like freaking yemen????

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
The general population of the US would prefer that this country was not constantly fighting a war and occupying other countries. After all, it is expensive and paid for with tax dollars. The elite at the top that benefit financially from war see things differently.

However, after 9/11, despite the fact that none of the terrorists were from Iraq, America as a nation was somewhat hungry for blood although most people thought that the 'war' would not last very long. Certainly not last a decade or more.

The US government still has this country hypnotized to the point where we will believe anything those in power say, and when they lie, we forget about it very quickly. WMDs. . . yeah right. There is more evidence that Luke Skywalker actually exists, is a Jedi Knight and hangs out with his buddies Han Solo and Chewbacca then there was evidence that Saddam had WMDs in Iraq.

As as for the War on Terror (code red!!) it is nothing more than a way to control the American people by instilling in them a threat to keep them occupied and living in fear - thus distracting them from the real threat of a neo-facist government combined with the evolving corporatocracy that controls that government from within.

If a tsunami hit the coast of California on Monday morning, the government would hold a press conference and announce that select members of Al Qaeda haver learned how to harness forces of nation and unleashed the tsunami on the US, and declare that it was an attack on the US (while conspiracy theorists would claim it was the CIA and Bilderburg Group). People near any type of water would be told to stay inside to protect themselves from this aquatic act of terror and then the US military would prepare to invade at least two countries that the suspected terrorists were alleged to be from. And then we would proceed to blow a hell of alot of stuff up and for a long time again.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,182 times
I am reminded of many of Leto II's discussions from God Emperor of Dune. People don't want war per se, what they want is volatility, change, an uncertainty factor if you will. It just so happens that war is the easiest way to achieve this.

Perhaps someday people will be able to satisfy their cravings for volatility without using war to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates