Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
They didnt fight so americans can promote moral degradation by the way they speak or act. Would you agree with this statement ? yes or no ?
Yes, I would agree that that was not the objective uppermost in their minds. (It would have been nice if it had been. At least, they would have known what the hell they were fighting and dying for.)

They didn't fight so American police could arrest people for promoting moral degradation the way they speak or act. Would you agree with that? Yes or no?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-17-2009 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
In some states, in not too many decades past, it was-- there was some kind of fine/penalty for using "indecent" language in the presence of women and/or children... I don't know if the law is in effect in any of the states these days, though... frankly, I think it's a good idea

Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
The F bomb no more glorious verbal weapon has ever been devised. And while it is inappropriate around the tender and limited vocabulary of minors, in the hands of an expert (such as myself) the F bomb can be put to such glorious uses to add spice and flavor to any topic, or emotion. It is simply ****ing fabulous!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
One Poster said Virginia has a ban on these words, and enforce it ; how do they handle it ? If it can be done in one State, then its possible for the Nation . Will it affect tight budgets ...?? Yes, but, America lacks basic common decency now from the purposeful twisting of freedom laws..and needs restoring. You dont really want your Grandchildren carrying on the a vile and filth legacy , do u ?
Well from being on the ground here in Virginia, they are not handling it well.

America lacks basic common decency. I agree but cussin is only the tip of the iceberg. What about my customers who talk on their cell phones while i'm trying to help them? What about not holding doors for people? What about taking thirty forks and spoons at Wendy's? You want to fine people for these indecent but not illegal things too?

I may lean conversative but i'm also a libertarian and one thing that libertarians kinda of believe is that the government and police should butt out whenever possible.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well from being on the ground here in Virginia, they are not handling it well.

America lacks basic common decency. I agree but cussin is only the tip of the iceberg. What about my customers who talk on their cell phones while i'm trying to help them? What about not holding doors for people? What about taking thirty forks and spoons at Wendy's? You want to fine people for these indecent but not illegal things too?

I may lean conversative but i'm also a libertarian and one thing that libertarians kinda of believe is that the government and police should butt out whenever possible.
I personally find these things far more 'offensive' than cuss words.

I had a customer call me a 'f***ing b****' last night because he couldn't find a parking spot. I was more upset at the fact I was being attacked for something that was not my fault than the words themselves. He couldv'e called me a 'darn lady' or something but he was still screaming at me and in my face.

OP-you still haven't mentioned how outlawing these words is going to create a respectful, civilized, moral, decent people and society?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
In some states, in not too many decades past, it was-- there was some kind of fine/penalty for using "indecent" language in the presence of women and/or children... I don't know if the law is in effect in any of the states these days, though... frankly, I think it's a good idea
Side note here: the FCC apparently is starting to take some Spanish language radio stations to task for their 'obscenities'----------never mind that certain cuss words are comical to English speaking ears.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:03 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
1. Using 'U' instead of You, is an abbreviation which is common Internet custom ; it is not derogatory, illegal, or immoral . Therefore , you made a non-sequitar.
2. If you dont care how your Grandkids behave or talk, then youre a bad example to them. They need Gramps to be a good moral Role Model.
3. Your not Christ ; neither am I. Do you know him personally before you meet him face to face ?
1. The word f*** is also a common custom for many people, especially on the internet. Used in certain contexts, it is neither derogatory, illegal nor immoral. In others it is. It is uncannily similar to the word you ("U") in that is has varying degrees of disrespect depending on the context in which it is used. I feel like the phrases "What the f*** just happened" or "That was f****** great" are better than "U jerk" or "Would you just shut up already".
2. Here is an example of using the word f*** in a rude and disrespectful manner. "Who the f*** are you to tell me how to rear my grandchildren?" If anyone of my grandkids lipped off to a stranger like that they would get a smacking no matter what language they used. What you meant to say was that I care very much how my grandchildren act and speak -- I don't base that expectation on arbitrary words. It is based on the ideas and actions that they convey. No number of curse words could parallel the insolence contained in your sentence.
3. It seems to me that you are trying so hard not to curse that you forget some basic rules of English language grammar, because with all due respect (albeit there is little due) that thought cannot be comprehended in its current structure. I hope I have taught my grandkids that basic rules of grammatical agreement.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Its pretty obvious by the great majority of responses to this Thread, that : The desire for common decency is a thing of the distant past, there is no sacredness to anything any longer -- certainly in form of speech , morality is seen as an infringement on how one wishes to behave and talk, and the most important thing is Ones 'freedom' to live/speak/act in ANY manner One deems fit thru the convenience of suppressing the knowledge of right from wrong. Thus, America will continue to morally decline and apathy will continue to grow giving rise to anarchy because its people, by and large, dont mind incivility and behavioral sloughfulness . It will implode given time as future generations are groomed to be of greater willful reprobate minds than their Parents were. How independent and liberating ! (end)

Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
I used the "F" word in my home only one time...My wife washed my mouth out with Lava soap...I learned my lesson..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:28 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
In your example, the words are merely the tool by which the men's behavior was displayed. If they were of a mind to be complete jerks, they would have still done so without saying "F*** off".

Besides which, in the example you gave, even if it had been illegal, what's Daddy going to do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates