Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,914 times

Advertisements

This does not look like a good solution. The alternatives are to rack up medical bills or pick up private insurance. If you haven't been shopping lately, private insurance policies have high premiums and very high deductibles. There are a few which are not as expensive, however they provide limited coverage, many exclusions, and an extensive search for preexisting conditions.

Fines proposed for going without health insurance - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_health_care_overhaul - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,693,889 times
Where do they keep coming up with these bad ideas? It's almost as though they're doing it intentionally.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
That's intelligent. Hmm, they don't have the money to pay for insurance--so let's fine them!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:16 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,693,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's intelligent. Hmm, they don't have the money to pay for insurance--so let's fine them!
Right.

And add to that, the fact that some people simply do not want to carry health insurance. Why shouldn't they be allowed that choice?

Regardless of what is or isn't in the Health Care Reform Bill, it just feels like there are some very sinister things going on regarding government involvement in health care. Kind of frightening.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:16 PM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Thanks for reminding me.

Nothing has p**sed me off in the last twenty years of politics as badly as this does. In fact I'm so annoyed by it that I think I would be willing to go to jail fighting this one. Either that or just become a damned bum (as opposed to a regular bum. You see a damned bum is worse than a regular one). You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

It's nothing more than a way for the gubbernmint to secure more dinero. I really don't see their logic though. Those who don't have insurance typically can't afford it. Where is this fine money going to come from? Thin air? Now that the public option on the health bill is basically scrapped, where are the lowest income workers going to find the money for insurance or a fine??? I'll tell you where... your pocket. The gubbernmint is going to force more people on the welfare rolls. Yeah, pretty damned bright of them.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
They can't even enforce the fine sucah as traffic fines now ;so I can't see them enforcing this very well. Rememebr that on any law where the maximum punishment is fine only they can noit serve the punsihmnet in jail. that is why after being arrested on a wrrant for not paying the fine they have to release a person on a personal appearance bond if they don't post cash bond. A circle jerk of modern justice.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
We just changed providers back in March? Anyway, the costs were going up and the wages weren't getting any higher, so I dropped coverage. I didn't use it when I had it, so it was just a waste of money that could have gone to food or something.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM

315 posts, read 776,939 times
I predict if congress tries to impose fines on its citizens for not BUYING heath insurance, the suits involved will make its way to the supreme court faster then the 2000 Bush Gore election. Simply put, it won't stand. You cannot force someone to buy insurance. Now for those bone heads that state what about car insurance.........well, if I don't own a damn car, or choose to drive, its a mute point.

And ya, I know the Swiss do it, but they do not have our constitution. And the Swiss, well, they are the Swiss. They pretty much stand alone in this world for getting their stuff right. We don;t have the mental state of being that the Swiss have. I.E. American mentality of the big grab bag, does not equate to their way of doing things.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Now for those bone heads that state what about car insurance.........well, if I don't own a damn car, or choose to drive, its a mute point.
Exactly. If I choose not to drive, I don't need car insurance. If I choose to drive, then I do. That's understandable.

If I choose to work, I pay income tax. If I don't work, I don't pay it. Again, I can choose.

If I buy something, I pay sales tax. If I don''t I do not pay sales tax.

If I choose to live in a city with city tax, I pay it. If I do not, I don't pay it.

I can't very well choose not to live, now can I? (at least not legally) Taxing or fining someone because they are alive is not in harmony with the principals this country was founded upon. It's a close cousin to slavery. It's not all that different from the mafia protection racket. Sure you'll be protected... but you don't really have much of a choice, do you?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Yes, the Dems have a wonderful idea. Force every American to buy something from a private company. Why did I think there were two political parties in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates