Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,584 times

Advertisements

Obviously this country will never support a completely national healthcare system. But what if we just got rid of health insurance and paid for our healthcare out of pocket? I truly believe the reason healthcare is so expensive is because of the health insurance companies. If we got rid of health insurance, costs would probably drop by like 50 percent.

What about back in the olden days when the doctor would come to your house and then send a bill? Healthcare has just gotten way too complicated since health insurance companies go in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Not sure you've thought this through.

Healthcare is expensive because it has costs. The price of the materials, the medication, the cost of the nurses, doctors, x-ray techs, MRI machines, etc. The prices for these things are not set by the insurance companies.

Do you really want a $10k bill in your mail box for a procedure?

By the way, you can still pay cash any time you want. No one is forced to have health insurance. Even under the ACA, you can say no to insurance and just kick in the little penalty. Most likely, if you need that procedure, you probably won't have the $10k to pay for it so it would come out of my pocket.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Or several HUNDRED thousand if you had cancer. OP, will you write them a check for that?

In the olden days, it was cheap as all doc did is give you two aspirin and tell the family he was sorry for their loss, as the end was near. That is why it was cheap. We couldn't save anybody. Had a strong heart attack 40 years ago-that was a death sentence.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
I guess I'd die then because there is no way I'd ever be able to afford 50% of hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. I'm sure about 99% of the rest of our population couldn't as well. ESRD and dialysis as well as cancer, diabetes and many other chronic issues would become a short death sentence for all but the extreme wealthy. People need to think before they dream up these stupid ideas.

This isn't the olden days anymore. Now if you want to pay a doctor to come visit your home, give you a shot of whiskey and a towel to bite onto as he does a minor surgical procedure that he is guessing is needed due to not giving you an X ray or similar test, go right ahead.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Or several HUNDRED thousand if you had cancer. OP, will you write them a check for that?

In the olden days, it was cheap as all doc did is give you two aspirin and tell the family he was sorry for their loss, as the end was near. That is why it was cheap. We couldn't save anybody. Had a strong heart attack 40 years ago-that was a death sentence.
You can make payments. I believe hospitals are willing to work with you if you at least make an effort to pay something. They might even be willing to cut some of the costs.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I guess I'd die then because there is no way I'd ever be able to afford 50% of hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. I'm sure about 99% of the rest of our population couldn't as well. ESRD and dialysis as well as cancer, diabetes and many other chronic issues would become a short death sentence for all but the extreme wealthy. People need to think before they dream up these stupid ideas.

This isn't the olden days anymore. Now if you want to pay a doctor to come visit your home, give you a shot of whiskey and a towel to bite onto as he does a minor surgical procedure that he is guessing is needed due to not giving you an X ray or similar test, go right ahead.
Well, if you are young and healthy, you are better off not paying health insurance premiums and just putting that money in a savings account. Yes, things can happen, but that's just life. A lot of people have these chronic conditions because they don't take care of themselves. Many people in America are overweight, smoke, drink heavily and do many other unhealthy things. If people just took care of themselves better, they would be less likely to get these diseases.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
You can make payments. I believe hospitals are willing to work with you if you at least make an effort to pay something. They might even be willing to cut some of the costs.

It would be the equivalent of a 2nd mortgage. Why would I want that, when via insurance, risks are spread, so the lucky amongst us who incur less costs (like me so far, and i hope it stays that way) pay a little more, so the less fortunate do not have their lives destroyed economically.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not sure you've thought this through.

Healthcare is expensive because it has costs. The price of the materials, the medication, the cost of the nurses, doctors, x-ray techs, MRI machines, etc. The prices for these things are not set by the insurance companies.

Do you really want a $10k bill in your mail box for a procedure?

By the way, you can still pay cash any time you want. No one is forced to have health insurance. Even under the ACA, you can say no to insurance and just kick in the little penalty. Most likely, if you need that procedure, you probably won't have the $10k to pay for it so it would come out of my pocket.
Healthcare is also very expensive because it costs a lot of money to process claims and then wait for the insurance companies to actually pay. Some of these insurance companies take MONTHS to pay. And they deny so many things.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Obviously this country will never support a completely national healthcare system. But what if we just got rid of health insurance and paid for our healthcare out of pocket? I truly believe the reason healthcare is so expensive is because of the health insurance companies. If we got rid of health insurance, costs would probably drop by like 50 percent.

What about back in the olden days when the doctor would come to your house and then send a bill? Healthcare has just gotten way too complicated since health insurance companies go in the way.

How can you reference the olden days when people paid "out of pocket," and then proceed to blame the insurance companies? A big part of the problem (besides otherwise healthy people who wouldn't know what to do with their time if they weren't at one doctor's or another's) is that people don't know the true price of the service they're getting (and don't care) because they don't pay for it.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 PM

I'll give you an example of how ridiculous health insurance companies are. I am still covered under my mom's and step dad's dental plan, so I technically have two dental insurances. I have to get a crown put in soon and I still have to pay $370 out of my own pocket even though I have two insurances. Each insurance only pays 50 percent of the cost of the crown. These insurance companies get away with paying as little as they possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates