Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post

Funny.. people cry about Obama giving "free healthcare".. which the rest of us know it doesn't do.

Nobody, absolutely NOBODY thinks 0bamacare is free. A lot of us know, without question, that somebody is paying for it. Somebody else. Like me. Paying for you.

Free? Nothing 0bama has ever done in his pitiful little life has been free. Someone is paying for everything. It's called TAX!

Now you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Apparently no one here ever looked at their HC EOBs when they come in.
Say, a visit to urologist. Insurance billed: $376; contracted discount/adjustments $!75; patient portion $28.
You realize, that that urologist stays afloat and does very well, actually, by overbilling insurance, taking contractual discounted payment, and you pay a little bit of co-insurance? And this game is played everywhere and by everyone?
You know what will happen if you ditch insurances? Sure, some will die. But instant market adjustment will result in instant price adjustment. All those overblown HC costs will drop down to where market can pay for them. All doctors that do not provide good results will loose their patients or will be eaten by law suites. So much referred to "costs" for HC will strip their ballooned numbers and will adjust down to where they can be attainable. My bet, also, is that common folk will finally understand that HC is not a freebie and stop eating and drinking junk, minding their diets, and exercising, as best way to save on HC is to - yep, stay healthy.
Dr's aren't the expensive part. Hospitals are expensive. Drugs are expensive. But Dr's? not so much.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
They can't cut cost. The MRI machine that cost $2 million dollars has been purchased. The nurses and doctors have salaries that are fixed. X ray films cost what they cost. The medication has been purchased.

You can't redeem a coupon and getting special discounts are rare.

Payments? Do you want to make payments that are $1000-$5000 or more per month. At only 1k per month, a person would pay $12k a year on a bill that's $120k? Ten years of payments for one illness? What about ongoing care or a new illness?
Wrong, Oh, So WRONG!

Read my post above. They DO cut costs. A LOT.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Nobody, absolutely NOBODY thinks 0bamacare is free. A lot of us know, without question, that somebody is paying for it. Somebody else. Like me. Paying for you.

Free? Nothing 0bama has ever done in his pitiful little life has been free. Someone is paying for everything. It's called TAX!

Now you know.

OH for crying out loud.. here we go with the same tired argument about how those of us that advocate for Obamacare are not subjected to the same things that those who advocate against it are.

For one.. any person whether for or against Obamacare that meets the elegability requirements will receive a subsidy or tax break. That means YOU.. if you qualify, YOU will also get a tax break or a subsidy.. which means a portion of your health insurance premiums will be PAID FOR by tax dollars - dollars you pay in.. dollars i pay in.

Just because you are against Obamacare doesn't mean you don't get the benefits.

By the same token, just because I advocate FOR obamacare does not make me immune from any of its negatives that you may deem to be a negative about it.

The difference - I understand that this is neccesary to get insurance to many that are underinsured or uninsured so that NO ONE has to hold the risk of getting sick and having to default to medical care via bankruptcy.

You act as if it's free for some, but not for others.. Pfft.. no such animal. I don't need to know, but apparently you think that Obamacare is free for me. NOPE.. not free healthcare for me.. I'll have to buy insurance, pay premiums and deductibles just like you.
I ask nothing of someone else I don't also expect from myself. I'm subject to all its good points and its bad points. But to me, it's negatives are worth knowing that it will help my fellow citizens.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
Baloney on 2 counts. If you have to pay the stinkin' government a penalty, there's no money for saving. And 99.99% of diseases are genetic. Yes, you can do things (or not do things) to minimize the risk, but everything starts with genetics.
I actually think diseases are 50 percent genetics and 50 percent lifestyle. There are so many people in the United States with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc. If they would just lose weight can ditch their unhealthy habits, a lot of these diseases can be reversed.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
They do cut costs. Big time. Like by 2/3.

I know. Been there, done that. A little over 2 years ago.
Are you elderly? Low income? Did they just willy nilly cut your bill? I'm sure the part that you didn't pay got written off to the taxpayers.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I actually think diseases are 50 percent genetics and 50 percent lifestyle. There are so many people in the United States with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc. If they would just lose weight can ditch their unhealthy habits, a lot of these diseases can be reversed.
You are entitled to your opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Insurance is a for profit scam.
Insurance is not a scam. It's a business. Do you not believe in the free market?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Insurance is not a scam. It's a business. Do you not believe in the free market?
I personally think it's kind of sick that there's a business that's profiting from other's illnesses. Just me.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Obviously this country will never support a completely national healthcare system. But what if we just got rid of health insurance and paid for our healthcare out of pocket? I truly believe the reason healthcare is so expensive is because of the health insurance companies. If we got rid of health insurance, costs would probably drop by like 50 percent.

What about back in the olden days when the doctor would come to your house and then send a bill? Healthcare has just gotten way too complicated since health insurance companies go in the way.
You and my husband agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates