Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I was referring to people I know, not a making a generalization. Like my best friend who's boyfriend left when their baby was about 6 months old. He's seen her 3 times since then. She is now 13 years old. Or my ex who says, I'll be there in about an hour and shows up 5 hours later because he had to make some stops on the way. Nice to show your kids your buddy needing you to take him somewhere is more important that spending time with his kids like he said he would.

And the guy who moved into a one bedroom can afford 2 beds, his lease was up so he decided to move into a cheaper place just because he could. And yes, kids think it's cool to sleep in the living room watching tv all night (mine included). But kids also think it's cool to call people poopie face and do prank calls. It's not about what kids like, it's about what is best for them. If someone truly can't afford it that's a different story.
yea, well I re-read my original post and apologize for being a bit strident. It's interesting experiencing the world as a single dad and in some ways I have become a bit defensive.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Absolutely not. It's not something you can have a set formula for. Take me for example;

After a 30 year marriage, most of it as a SAHM, I'll be getting spousal support until retirement. At age 53 with an AA Degree and no recent work history I will "get a job", assuming I can get hired, but am unlikely to become self supporting. My H, who makes over 6 figures a year (thanks in part to the MBA he got during our marriage) isn't even questioning it. We had a plan, now he wants a younger woman and will pay for the future he took from me. End of story.
I disagree and think "spousal support" is uncalled for.

You have a partial degree, and can obviously type and read and write. There are countless temp agencies that are willing and ready to hire people just like you daily. During that 30yrs, why didn't you pick up additional college courses and obtain a higher degree?

Why should your EX still support you?

The only way anyone can take your future from you is if YOU let them.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have had thoughts on the amounts of child support that celebrities and pro athletes have to pay.

For example Darren McFadden.

NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source (http://nwanews.com/nwat/News/78034/ - broken link)

And Russell Simmons.

Russell Simmons Shells Out Phat Child Support to Kimora - E! Online

Personally, i have a problem with the amounts. While i think that a father should be held accountable for making sure that their children are OK financially, i think $8000 or $20000 a month is overdoing it.

With Darren McFadden's situation, that $8k a month could convince a lot of women to find a NFL or other pro player to have a baby with. I've heard of some women taking fertility pills prior to sleeping with athletes hoping to have a child and a meal ticket. Think about it, McFadden's baby mama gets $96k every year for 18 years to do nothing. How will this not encourage a woman to try to get an athletes baby?

Personally, i think that the amount of child support or alimony should be that while a child enjoys a decent life a mother is still responsible for making a living if she is physically and mentally able to. This would encpourage self-reliance.

What do ya'll think? Cap child support and alimony?
It's all relative and, if one parent can afford it, a child's standard of living should not go down when they visit the other parent. $40K/month isn't excessive when the parent paying is making 100K/month. It's not about the baby mama/daddy but she/he is along for the ride so you should think about whether or not you want to support the person you're sleeping with for the next 18 years BEFORE you sleep with them. Afterwards is too late.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's all relative and, if one parent can afford it, a child's standard of living should not go down when they visit the other parent. $40K/month isn't excessive when the parent paying is making 100K/month. It's not about the baby mama/daddy but she/he is along for the ride so you should think about whether or not you want to support the person you're sleeping with for the next 18 years BEFORE you sleep with them. Afterwards is too late.
Question:

What if the $100K parent had a standard of living that was lower than the $40K per month while the parents were still together? Should the child/custodial parent receive an INCREASE in standard of living after the divorce/break-up?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 951 times
Does ALL of the $100,000 or whatever go to the children. I highly doubt it.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,722 times
The men have the most to lose, so they should have more common sense than to go around screwing random women without protection. Losing $40k per month must sting, but it's his own fault for being stupid. Rich men should know better than to let themselves be siphoned dry by gold digging women. Get a vasectomy, wear a condom or don't have sex.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
this makes me sick. how women talk about men. yes there are dead beat dads n there are dead beat moms. but if the father is paying the mother 8000 dollers in child support. why not let the father have the child and responsibilities n rights so that you can goto school n better your life so that you too can make the same amount of money.

equal life style in both homes is ridiculous. one flaw with this is when a non working woman finds a new man who has a big house n lots of money. but the courts base it off both biological parents income and then the woman is living in this mansion n still collect tons of money from the ex and she does not work. just sits around as her runs around n collects child tax. family allowance n child support. n does nothing. i seen this many times because all my gfs sisters do thus. even my baby mom does thus to me. n the messed up part is my kid lives with me full time but the court still ordered me to help the mother out on her 4 days a month with 25 percent of my pay check. the system is flawed. very flawed. by the way. me and her were never married or lived with eachother

Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

This is an old thread. Start a new thread if you want to discuss this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates