Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Why exactly isn't this topic allowed on the pets forum? Isn't that where this discussion belongs?
They don't want arguements.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the only reason this is done is for the vanity and ego of the owner. they feel their dog looks better with the tails and ears cropped. it is not necessary at all, it is a shame we are so vain as a society that we need to cut the ears and tails off our animals so they will conform to a standard set by another man. we justify it by saying they are done with medication, can't feel a thing yada yada. fine but at least admit it is all about vanity and ego at the expense of your dog and nothing more.
That's not always true.

Dobes are cropped and docked due to Sch training/defense training originally.

It was to prevent a potental threat from grabbing onto the animal to subdue them. No tail or ears to grab, no way to control the animal w/o the chance of injury.

I am fine with crop/dock; it's safer than spay/neuter statistically.

Feline declawing I am against.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Totally not necessary to dock or clip dogs tails or ears and cruel. I believe that this is only done to make maintenance on the dog easier. I have a Pit Bull and although lots of people do dock them, I refused to do so and the Vet would NEVER suggest it; they don't like to dock the animal unless there is a medical reason for it. My Pit is absolutely adorable with her floppy ears and her tail that has a bend so it partially curls up..real cute!!

You are correct, it is probably not anymore dangerous than spaying or neutering but no where near as necessary!
Since when has it been "standard" to dock a pitty?!

Crop their ears yes, but breed standard DQ's a docked pitty.

The only pitty I have seen that was docked had to have it done due to "happy tail", and it was a surgical procedure to prevent further damage.

"Happy tail" is what Blue Willow was talking about with their dog, BTW.

Actually Pam, I have to apologize to you, I think you (along with a few others here) have their terminology mixed up.

Docking is TAIL ONLY, Cropping is the EARS.

I noticed quite a few people saying crop the tail and dock the ears, and vice versa, and sorry, but to me it's annoying. Drives me nuts, like when people want to spay their male dog and neuter their female, lol. Same principal, but it makes the speaker look absurd.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Right, so don't adopt a dog with a tail "like that" into a home that is not appropriate for him or her OR make/take the proper percausions like moving breakables away from tail level.
Most breeds with docked tails are done for a reason, not just vanity.

Boxers, dobes, some cattle dogs, all can get happy tail very easily. Not to mention ANY dog can get happy tail, and an amputation is MUCH more severe and painful than a dock.

Most terriers are docked due to the way they were bred and raised to hunt vermin into the ground.

Protection breeds were docked to give the potential attacker less to grab on the animal.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
You must not get out much if you really think everyone who has a pitbull with cropped ears is a loser wannabe tough guy.
It's because of people like you that stereotypes(In all forms) still exist.
whats funny is its coming from a guy that likes harley davidsons

Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
whats funny is its coming from a guy that likes harley davidsons
He like Harleys? Lol

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I have a min pin and her tail was chopped. She's a little thing and I don't know why it's standard for the breed. Fortunately, her ears are still intact. They're a bit big for her head, I guess, but I don't see why they would need to be removed.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
It's like circumcision for a baby boy. They don't feel a thing and they sure as hell don't remember the procedure later down the line. Not necessary, but totally commonplace.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It's like circumcision for a baby boy. They don't feel a thing and they sure as hell don't remember the procedure later down the line. Not necessary, but totally commonplace.
Sure they feel it and it hurts...you are only right about they don't remember it.. I remember when they did it to my baby son and he screamed his head off..It was his mothers idea to have it done and I could have kicked her butt when he was screaming.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Sure they feel it and it hurts...you are only right about they don't remember it.. I remember when they did it to my baby son and he screamed his head off..It was his mothers idea to have it done and I could have kicked her butt when he was screaming.
This ^^^ would be a good thread topic. My dh and I are on our way towards children (hopefully). If we have a son, I wouldn't want to do that to him. Just because it's not remembered consciously doesn't translate to not suffering. My dh, tho, would prefer it. Eh, we'll cross that battle when we come to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates