Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'll agree that they're expensive, but only because their food isn't worth spending any amount of money on. Honestly though, their prices are not expensive compared to others.
Expensive is all relative. They frequently offer a $16 dollar all you can eat shrimp dinner, and that includes all the different varieties of shrimp. They call it endless shrimp, and bread and salad is also included. Hey, I am poor, and I can easily afford this. I love shrimp, so I always get my moneys worth when they are running this promotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Somewhere I read that the economic downturn has been good for restaurants in general, people are going out for dinner rather than taking a more expensive weekend trip or vacation.

No idea if this is true or not.

I do know that we (Parents, Sister, and I) ate at the "Green Frog" restaurant which was Bill Darden's first (founder) back in the mid-'60s. Somewhere along the way old Bill decided that "Red Lobster" had a better cachet than "Green Frog" and the rest was history. Green Frog did feature frog's legs, so the name is not as crazy as it first seems. Had a big statue of a bullfrog out front. It was pretty good food as I recall.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ga...estaurant.html

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 07-31-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Green Frog, weblink

Old 08-01-2009, 09:38 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Agree with those saying Red Lobster is not an expensive, upscale restaurant. It's where hubby and I go for a cheap 'seafood' dinner. Go to a place like Real Seafood Co., and expect to pay $40-$50 a plate (and even more for Lobster tail or King Crab alone). For $25 at RL, I can get Lobster, Crab, a Shrimp variety, veggies or potatoes, and a salad (but I'll admit it's not as good).

Now I live in the state with the highest unemployment, but the area I live in does fare better than the rest of the state (unemployment a bit lower, primarily white collar working force as opposed to blue collar). Overall, volume in restaurants and entertainment venues in general HAVE declined. Go into town on a weekend evening, however, and expect to wait 30-40 minutes for a table at any pick of fancy, expensive upscale dining establishments (RL not included).

It doesn't make much sense to me either and I offer no answers, other than that people will still take the pleasure to dine out and eat the food they enjoy. I'm the same way-although I prefer to spend the money on good quality food from the store and cook it myself.

Are you looking at the capacity of the restaurants during dinner time on the weekends? What does the parking lot look like on Tuesday evening? I think now that dining out is a special treat for many, something done once a month instead of once a week.

On a side note, all of the Outback Steakhouses around here do not open their doors until 4 p.m., due to the decline of business during lunch hours. Many many restaurants, popular chains too, have sealed their doors and the lots remain vacant. So no, I don't think that people out here are eating out as much as they used to.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Seriously, you are way off base on this. Red Lobster is far from a high end chain. They are a partner of the Olive Garden and Longhorn Steak House, all of which are middle of the road chain restaurants. Also, there are still lots of people who are middle class, and/or wealthy who can easily spend $20 for a dinner.

A slight correction. Darden is the company that runs and owns Red Lobster, They also own Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze and Longhorn Steak house, The Capital Grille and Season 52.... The last is the only real up scale facility they have. They use to own Smokey Bones but sold it off.

Personally, I place no confidence in the news media. They have to say something and always make everything sound far worse than reality. I find so little value in what they have to say I really don't even watch them any more.

As to the economy there are several chains that have suffered, Bennigans, Donatos,Uno's, and others. perhaps with their closings it strengthens the survivors.... There are fewer choices now.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,410 times
looking-for-a-bargain-dinner-try-lobster.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/107440/looking-for-a-bargain-dinner-try-lobster.html?mod=family-love_money - broken link)

Perhaps this is what is altering your perception on Red Lobster doing well in this economy. The cost of their primary good is dropping yet your cost remains the same or have increased. Hence, they are paying less for lobsters while making more money on it.

And no, Red Lobster is no way close to being an upscale restaurant. It's only a small step above fast food establishments like Chipotle, Noodles and Company, etc.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
no mater how bad the economy gets there's always enough money for movies, sporting, events, crab and >>>> lobster!!!

ohh i forgot the beer

Old 08-01-2009, 11:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Going to Red Lobster once a month or maybe twice i not a huge dent in your wallet. Every Saturday is something different.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Wow. What's the economic environment like where you live that Red Lobster is considered an expensive restaurant?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow. What's the economic environment like where you live that Red Lobster is considered an expensive restaurant?
If you check on the Frugal Forum here as well as many other places where people discuss tight finanaces,, you will find that many many people spend a week on groceries what two meals at a Red Lobster cost.

So it can be considered 'expensive' .
Since so many of you that consider it cheap also disparage it, can we assume those without budget problems don't go there and that the bulk of patrons must be those that consider it pricey?

That would leave the OPs question.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Going to Red Lobster once a month or maybe twice i not a huge dent in your wallet. Every Saturday is something different.
A family of 5 going to Red Lobster twice per month is a $200.00 dent in your wallet. To me, that's considerable. That's a car payment. That's a gas & electricity bill.

If a family can afford it, after all the important stuff is taken care of, it's cool. If not, it's foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates